4.7 ltr swap ?

• Looking for some advice and or options . I have been wanting to upgrade my 2.5 5 speed tj to 4.0 auto , and after long research and comments from others and members it just dont seem like a good idea . That being said I have dibs on a 2000 dakota with a 5.2 ltr auto 4x4 for a good cheap price ! It runs but does need to be rebuilt . With a complete donor truck , should I give this a try ? And can it be done for 2-3 grand ? Post up thoughts and problems . Thanks Howie

• If you do it keep everything it does take alot of time setting mounts and all but i would rethink the idea bc depending on the tire you run you may need to up grade axles

• Guess It depends on how you intend to use it and what kind of fab skillz you have. If you can cut you old motor mounts off , fab up new ones and bend or make a new transmission crossmember that will help in the $$ department. Additionally you will need a new radiator, hoses, you'll need to rewire the harness to work with your setup, and chances are you will need different length driveshafts. All of that alone will probably exceed your budget. Additionally (Like jeepkid tried to say...I think) if you intend to wheel the rig, your rear axle will likely need to be upgraded, as the d35 prob wont stand up the the extra hp. Add in the cost of the engine rebuild and things are not looking very good. For another 2k you could just buy a TJ with a 6cyl already. Hell, for the minimal increase in hp/torque from the 4.0 to the 5.2, it would be esier to do a 6cyl swap. My suggestion is, save up some money, sell yours, and use that money to buy another with a 4.0.... If not, regear what you have and make sure you leave for where your going just a little bit early. :mrgreen: :driving:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• OK ! went and look at the donor truck and it is a 4.7 ltr extended cab 4x4 auto dakota . Complete truck tagged and runs but motor needs rebuilt $800 bucks . Man I realy want to try this swap ! guess I should buy it and get motor work done and go from there . But with a complete donor truck , besides moving mounts and new driveshafts , with all the wiring and ecu im thinking it may not be to hard ? Please post up ! Thanks !!!!!

• I would stay away from a 4.7 L swap seen to many with oiling problems. The non HO
    Also seemed under powered. The 4.7 is also a hard engine to find used because of its problems.
    I think you would be better off with a 5.2 or 5.9 swap.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• if he goes to a 4.7, will it still pass inspection when they plug into the obdII?

btw, i am doing the 4.0 swap in feb/march with aaron. when you look at the numbers, it is an additional 70 hp (120 to 190) or about 58% increase over the 2.5. That is substantial.

• One thing to keep in mind is the overall drivetrain length. The tranny in the truck may be too long for your TJ.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Length is gonna be a problem with drive train , but some research says I can move the drive train forward an inch . And as for specs the 4.7 ltr is 230hp and 295ft torque . I would like to build my jeep , but only once ! lol . would like to wheel a little maybe blues and blacks . Want to go auto also, and just thought this may be a good chance . The trans is a 45re ? I think thats 4speed auto but electronic . Not sure how good they are . A stock v8 would be nice ! lol

• Sounds like the motor in my wifes Grand Cherokee. It's got some kick at low end.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• FWIW my 93 ZJ has the 5.2L and d35. I also wheel it pretty hard on 33" Km2s, and the rear hasn't let me down.

I would say he will be fine with the d35 in the rear. If you do decide to run larger tires and wheel it then changing out the rear would be a good idea. But from the start it wouldn't be needed.

are you sure it has a d35? they came with a d44a.

http://csloffroad.com/jeepzjxjwjaxleinfo.aspx

• why not do a Chevy 350. you can put it in, build a nice tranny behind it and add a nice t-case... you can have a carb on it and later down the road pick up a nice fuel injection kit. which have gone down in price significantly over the years. or swap in a 4.0 out of the same year as yours.
    Then again I think you should just put a hemi in it. Big money but would be sweet.
    Cj

• why not do a Chevy 350. you can put it in, build a nice tranny behind it and add a nice t-case... you can have a carb on it and later down the road pick up a nice fuel injection kit. which have gone down in price significantly over the years. or swap in a 4.0 out of the same year as yours.
    Then again I think you should just put a hemi in it. Big money but would be sweet.
    Cj

a carb'd 350 in his TJ? Not if he intends on tagging it in DE....no aftermarket EFI either as OBD scan is mandatory on all vehicles >=1996 Used to be hell to get my standalone EFI through inspection every 2 years on my car, damn near had to convert it to stock before running it through.

In a TJ you can't beat the 5.2/5.9 conversion as it's fairly straightforward, doesn't require alot of the changes (evap/cluster/etc) on an 'old' TJ like the hemi does, and retains a 'factory' appearance w/ stock gauges, etc. Check out www.backwoodsoffroad.com as Evan is supposed to be the go-to guy for those swaps. If you do it all yourself you 'might' be able to keep it under 3 grand but it's always the little crap that gets you in the end.

I've been actively investigating the same thing as Jen's tired 2.5L sucks w/ 35's (let's be honest) and she'd prefer an auto. I have considered both the magnum motors as well as the hemis...and more recently a 5.3 or 6.0 LS as they tend to be much cheaper on the market and can arguably be easier to install given the aftermarket support (some of the harnesses out there are basically power, ground, switched ignition). My only gripe about that one is going to all aftermarket gauges but with a little work I think I could fab something up into the existing cluster that would look pretty good. Dunno, have a few things inline before I have to decide. :shrug:

--Ian

• vortec v8. call it a day. theres a shit ton of them around. the 5.2-5.9 swap is cool but its really not a huge gain over the 4.0 as i remembered. go big or go home. drop a corvette engine in there and be done lol. even think theres one being parted out in the non-jeep fs section.

• Thanks Ian , and as my research goes on the 5.2 or 5.9 is easier and cheaper , alot more info , and parts are cheaper . I guess thats due to more of them made ? Then I guess the search is still on ! lol. Hope it will be a whole donor , will make it much easier. :driving:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!