Hi Lift Protection - To boot or not to boot?

• I'm considering relocating my current hi lift mount location (aka just throwing it behind the seats) and wanted to get some opinions on the Hi Lift protection boots. I'm (by that I mean Stapen) probably going to make something to mount it to the Warn spare tire carrier which would mean it's sitting outside 24x7. There are some that say the protection boot helps keep moisture/mud out and others who say it traps moisture and can cause more damage. Discuss.

• I personally would leave it open and hit it with some spray lithium grease. Rebuild kits are cheap, and a hammer usually helps un-stick a rusty high lift.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Mines been in the elements for several years also and still works. I think all that boot would do is trap water inside it.

• The boot is junk, mine dry rotted in a matter of two months or so, I wouldn't waste your money. My lift is hood mounted and has been there for three years now and it still works with no problem

• I guess I'm with the rest of the guys, save your money and just use a good spray lube. I'm gonna put my jack onto the new tire carrier for my trip with just a little WD40. :) That's all I use for my winch line, too... I know, share on me. Lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I guess I'm with the rest of the guys, save your money and just use a good spray lube. I'm gonna put my jack onto the new tire carrier for my trip with just a little WD40. :) That's all I use for my winch line, too... I know, share on me. Lol

Not to jack this thread but I use fogging oil on my winch cable and have been very happy with that. Its cheap and sticky enough that it seems to last, but my junk sits inside most of the time.

• How is this any different than using a winch cover? I used a winch cover for years and it kept my winch in great shape. The fairlead outside of the cover started to rust.

I think the mistake that could be made with covers is that it leads you to believe that you can skip the maintenance, but I would still spray it down or lube it up like everyone else does even with the cover.

There's your opposing argument, because I like to be difficult :)

• I seem to remember hearing a story about your winch not working in Moab..... Just sayin

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I seem to remember hearing a story about your winch not working in Moab..... Just sayin

That was because he was protecting the winch controller from the elements in his house in Delaware while his winch was in Moab. ;)

• The bouncing of the trailer dislodged the hot glue for the wires in the solenoid. Re-wired it up. Eventually gonna happen with enough road time, and has nothing to do with rain cover. It still works today, even after many hard pulls ... now if i can only find that picture of me pulling Billy straight up a vertical wall when he "accidentally" drove into a creek ...

• The bouncing of the trailer dislodged the hot glue for the wires in the solenoid. Re-wired it up. Eventually gonna happen with enough road time, and has nothing to do with rain cover. It still works today, even after many hard pulls ... now if i can only find that picture of me pulling Billy straight up a vertical wall when he "accidentally" drove into a creek ...

I would question "hot glue" being used in anything that draws heavy current like a winch.

Kinda like using solder on battery terminals.

Imminent failure is guaranteed.

• I would question "hot glue" being used in anything that draws heavy current like a winch.

I suppose it could be some other material, but I bought it with the Bush tax rebate so it's been holding up a bit longer than a guaranteed imminent failure would indicate ...

I would think the winch's motor draws heavy current and the solenoid only draws what's required for that little toggle switch (those wires are much thicker than the solenoid's wiring held in by the "glue"). But, you know best!

• :popcorn:

Winch covers completely cover the winch from the top down to the base (rain falls from the sky fyi) and, at least the ones I've seen, are made from an actual waterproof material so rain no get in. The neoprene hi lift covers could still allow water to get in from either end and anyone who has had neoprene seats or seat covers know that "waterproof" is a marketing claim at best.

• :popcorn:

Winch covers completely cover the winch from the top down to the base (rain falls from the sky fyi) and, at least the ones I've seen, are made from an actual waterproof material so rain no get in. The neoprene hi lift covers could still allow water to get in from either end and anyone who has had neoprene seats or seat covers know that "waterproof" is a marketing claim at best.

The sun rots neoprene quite quickly. Ask Captain about his winch cover.

Good quality vinyl will last a long time. I've had my Warn winch cover for close to 10 years and it's still perfect.

• I would question "hot glue" being used in anything that draws heavy current like a winch.

AM General has been using a hot glue like substance on circuit breakers and buss bars in the battery box for decades. Never seems to be an issue.

• That "hot glue" you are referring to is not glue. It's more than likely a Silicone product.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ok , winch covers and the like, to me are like Martha Stewart jeep products, may as well park you jeep on a doylie. Do you really need a butter cozie for your winch ?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!