Collapased lifter?

• What i thought was a sticky lifter got a whole lot louder today......neighbor/backyard mechanic thinks its a collapsed lifter, noise still there at higher rpms but not as loud. No lost power, but the noise is unbearable. Anyone know how much a garage charges to fix? 98 tj with 69k, 4 cyl.

• Not sure on a 4 cly, but on a I6 you can pull the lifter out through the top of the head with out pulling it. If the 4 is the same it shouldn't be too much. The part is probably $10. Most shops have computer programs that have estimated times for repairs. A quick phone call may give you the answere you need. If you are in Wilm. You can try Holly Oak 4x4. Brian's number is in the service directory section of the board.

• Took the valve cover off and determined not on the top end. Sounds like bottom of engine; wrist pin, bearing, etc.... Now weighing my options ($$$$$)on getting it fixed or buying a new or rebuilt engine. Either way it freaking sucks :bang:

• Slow down, Did you reacently change your oil? What wheight did you use? Does the noise quiet down as it warms up? I have found using thicker oil will keep a hydrolic lifter from pumping up. Think you should be using 5-30w.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• yeah, the oil got changed about 200 miles ago, prob 10-30. you can hear the noise louder when underneath. we did the " listen" test on the lifters( soaked em in oil overnight as well) , even pulled the plugs off one by one but noise still there. gets a little quieter when jeep warms, but still there, and louder than a valve tap, also more metallic. Jeep did sit for 2 years before I got it 300 miles ago. Tap got really loud first cold day 2 fridays ago. What are you thinkin it could be? :help:

• Got a price today on a Jasper engine.....$ 2100, plus another $700 to install. Comes with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Says hes got another kit to replace water pump etc... for 300 more. I guess this sounds about right. Gonna take it to Rising Sun this weekend and remove bottom end first, make sure its not something stupid like loose bolt or arm.......my luck though, it'll be a wrist pin or something worse.

• Seems like a lot of money. The last motor I had worked was only $1450 and it had twice the cylinders. If it turns out to be a lifter a set will only run you $30 and if you can not fix it yourself it should only cost you a couple of hundred to pull and replace. It seems funny that you are willing to drop over 2g's on a 4 cyl and you don't even know if what you have is simply fixable.

I guess you get a better warranty with the Jasper.

Just my $.02,
    Aaron

• I already changed the lifters, checked the valves, push rods, etc..... Next I'm checkin on the oil pan side. As a last resort, I'll get a new engine, but I'm not looking foward to it. :doh:

• Pulled the bottom end off.....removed the oil pan and found #2 piston skirt laying in pan. : :cuss: Looks like wrist pin went, and piston broke. Cylinder wall doesn't look scored but gave up on it for the weekend until I can make a decision: Fix piston or new motor : :bang:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!