Front End Sag / Before and After an Additional 3"

• Here are a few pics of my 92 YJ before and after an additional 3" of lift

Front Before---------------30"
    Front After----------------33 1/4

Rear Before---------------32 3/4
    Rear After----------------35 1/2

Looks like I only need to replace the front springs to regain my lost 3" of sag to be level. Then add a 1-2 inch shackle lift all the way around for additional height.

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Keep it how it is. The springs will settle a bit as they wear.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• How much settling can I expect?

This was just to show how bad of a sag I really have. It was done in my garage with a 3 ton floor jack. Nothing was installed. But from the looks of things and the measurements, I'll level the YJ at 33 1/4 in the front with a 3" lift add-a-leaf. The rear already sits at 32 3/4", a difference of only 1/2" from front to back. I wont touch the rear. After the springs settle a bit in the front, I'll add the shackles accordingly at all four corners for an additional 1-2" of lift.

John

• You have to be careful with shackle lifts. Too much will affect your steering because it pushes the front of the spring down which can change your caster.

I'd also not use Add-a-Leafs because the ride will be stiff as hell.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• So to regain the stock height I should either replace my front springs with new stock springs and then lift with 1"shackles or a 1" body lift. Or just replace all 4 springs with 2" of lift over stock height in a kit with shocks ect. A cost of around 400-600 for a decent kit.

Everyone kept telling me not to use the add-a-leaf but did not tell me why. That makes sense now. I was trying to save a few bucks but after you explained the downfalls of the too large of a shackle lift and the stiffness of an add-a-leafs, I think I might rethink this.

My other Dumb question, Will the shackle reversal that gives you an additional 2" also push the wheel too far like a 2" shackle lift?

Also, Any other advice?

• I dont' think a shackle reversal messes with the camber because of how they are designed.

A shackle reversal tends to push the front axle 1" forward (I think). It's supposed to produce a better ride quality on the road but some say it takes away some off road performance (because the axle is pushed back during spring compression instead of forward due to the shackle movement). I'm not totally convinced it's that big of a deal though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Here is a dumb question from me.

When you got your lift did all 4 spring packs have the same number of
    leaves?

The reason I ask is because I believe some kits have an extra leaf in the front spring packs
    to support the weight of the motor

If you do add a leaf to the front, find an old spring pack and cut the eyes off the main leaf
    you can then place this spring under the main leaf on your front lift kit spring.

• If you do add a leaf to the front, find an old spring pack and cut the eyes off the main leaf
    you can then place this spring under the main leaf on your front lift kit spring.

That's what I did and it worked great. I bought a used 2½" Skyjacker spring lift and the rear was really saggy. I got the main leafs from a 4" Rough Country spring lift, cut the eyes off and slid it in the Skyjacker rear springs. It leveled it right out.

Here is a dumb question from me.

When you got your lift did all 4 spring packs have the same number of
    leaves?

The more I think about this it makes me wonder if you put the rear springs up front and visa versa.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Not a bad idea. Will it work for fit? That would level me out and then I could go from there with a 1-2" body or shackle lift ect.

This was just to show how bad of a sag I really have. It was done in my garage with a 3 ton floor jack. Nothing was installed.

I haven't bought anything yet either. I had to bring the front end up 3" just to get it level with the back. I wanted to get some hard numbers to figure out where I stand. This makes me wonder if I should go with....

UP FRONT
    (2) new leafs up front with an additional 2" of lift (which would actually give me 5 total up front / 3" of sag would bring me back to stock and then the additional 2" of lift)

IN REAR
    just add 2" lift shackles

That would put me at around 37 1/2" at all four corners. But for the price, It's not far off a complete kit with shocks and everything else. I don't know what to do. I'm gathering all the info I can right now. As soon as my 2003 Chevy 2500HD sells (which is paid for in full), I'll have the cash needed to play. I'm hoping it sells this week. I have two perspective buyers that are looking at it this weekend.

• Ok so you are still running STOCK springs.
    you have not bought a kit .... yet

first on shackles
    to get 2 inches of lift the shackle needs to be 4 inches longer than stock
    Reason: you are only lifting one end of the spring so for every inch of lift you need 2 inches of shackle.

To get a 2 inch lift your shackle will be almost 8 inches long :o

Shop around and see if you can pick up a used 4" lift this will have settled in to around 3.5

OR ..... SOA spring over axle lift. it uses stock springs but gives you 5.5 inches of lift

• Only having a 4 banger, not wanting to re-gear and only using it as a daily driver for now, I wanted a better look and taller stance. I'm not going to wheel it at this point and don't want to spend the money to re-gear. The Previous owner had already upgraded to 29"/245 Yokohama's and I don't want to go any bigger until this rig becomes a toy. As for now, I'm trying to regain my lost inches due to sag and maybe a 1.5-2" lift for a little better stance since the tires were upgraded to a few sizes larger, from 205's to 245's. I know I don't need the extra height to clear the 245's but I like the taller stance. Another user showed me a picture of his rig after his 4" lift with 31" tires but before he upgraded to 33" tires. I really liked the look of the 4" lift on 31's. I thought I might try a 1.5" lift on 29's to try to achieve the same look.

• Do a 1" body lift, and 2½" spring lift. If your not going to wheel it this will look good and not be so high that it's a burden getting in and out of. Even if you decide to wheel it you will be able to do a lot.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It was Yankee19934's 92YJ / 4"lift on 31" tires. I like the taller stance
    Mine being a 92 YJ also. This is the look I'm trying to achieve.

Yankee's 4" on 31's
    Mine 2" on 29's

Here is a shot of Yankee's 92 YJ and the look I'm trying to achieve

• Slimer said

You have to be careful with shackle lifts. Too much will affect your steering because it pushes the front of the spring down which can change your caster.

I'd also not use Add-a-Leafs because the ride will be stiff as hell.

I've thought about what you said slimer and have decided to go with a rough country 2 1/2" suspension lift complete. The kit includes everything

Front/Rear 2" lift leaf springs
    New bushings / U-Bolts
    T-Case drop kit
    (4) hydro 8000 shocks

No Pittman arm needed for 2" lift. This is a new kit that Rough Country has just put on the market. I can get the whole kit shipped to my door for 480.58

Everyone's thoughts on Rough Country Lifts?

• I haven't heard much good. I think it all depends on what you plan on doing and how you drive.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have already stated what my intentions are and how I will be driving the Jeep. As for Rough Country lifts, Please elaborate on that. I'll take and trust your advice but want to know why. Other then stiffness in driving, there is not much else in the performance department I'll need. Not looking for enhanced performance just drivability on the road, a taller stance with those 235 Yokohama's and to regain those lost inches up front due to aged sagging. I like the advice of replacing all the springs instead of using add-a-leafs. Now the question is since I'm not going to go larger with my tire size, do I want a 1.5 or a 2.5 inch lift. I'm wondering if 2.5" will be too tall with only 235's. I would like to keep the cost of the kit at or around 500.00 bucks. With my needs in mind, which kit do you recommend in that price range?

Thanks, John

Edited once, last by jonzjeepyj ().

• What about Tuff Country's E-Z Ride System? They have a 2" lift that's reasonable. Again, taking my needs into account.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!