What have you done to your Jeep today?

• After ripping my trackbar and hydro ram off the axle at RC a while back, I had Aaron put on a hybrid Ruff Stuff and Artec Industries bar.

I've always hated the Dynatrac trackbar set up for many reasons (single shear upper mount, shared lower mount, etc.) so I'm very happy with the changes. It's a good bit more solid that it was before.

Here are some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/oarXyr7bi542UdbU6

https://goo.gl/photos/GXWKJGzEj1GU7j5d6

I also added some LED's so I can gain some street cred. :innocent:

https://goo.gl/photos/uMvA8E7cd2xfzkzd7

• Unsure if it's my state computer but I can't see your photos Billy. Just getting a big circle with a horizontal line through it.

Must be security settings. I'll fix it when I get to a computer tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

• Nice winch. I got your old one installed and have already needed it three or four times!

I loved that winch. This new one isn't any faster and doesn't pull any harder than the one you have. I definitely wasted my money. :doh:

The LED's on the other hand are a different story. I liked the lower lights so much that I realized how much my headlights sucked and got some KC Gravity LED's. The light is amazing in combo compared to the originals and they aren't even as bothersome to look at from opposing traffic. Win/win since I used to get flashed once in a while.

[img width=1200 height=900]http://i.imgur.com/wPNcS8d.jpg[/img]]

• I loved that winch. This new one isn't any faster and doesn't pull any harder than the one you have. I definitely wasted my money. :doh:

That was the Ramsey Patriot 9500 UT right? I have the same one that I won at TATAs a few years back. .. that is a one kick ass winch. Your new Warn is RED, no waste of money there.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Installed a new wiper motor in the old CJ today, no more dry squealing motor. Pretty easy, fold windshield, remove a few torx screws and the clip that holds the wiper arm. Connector plugs right into the wiper switch.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Trying something different for my spare tire. While putting the rear seat down, I simultaneously forced the seat-belts through the split between the seat back and the cargo space floor. It was MUCH harder than it sounds - those sumsbitches fought back hard. I secured the spare in the cargo area with the seatbelt.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I have never been happy with the way my toolbox and my supplies box were secured in my cargo area. I feared that they were not fastened safely enough to stay put in the event of a rollover.

I drilled 1/2" holes in the floor and installed 1/2" eye-bolts which I firmly anchored in place by sandwiching them using the following (top to bottom):
    [list type=decimal]
    [li]nut, [/li]
    [li]grade 8 washer, [/li]
    [li]fender washer,[/li]
    [li][Jeep floor], [/li]
    [li]fender washer, [/li]
    [li]grade 8 washer, [/li]
    [li]grade 8 lock washer, [/li]
    [li]stainless steel nut. [/li]
    [/list]Toolbox is secured with two ratchet straps.

Overkill? I am certain that my OCD will continue to have me worry about it and lie awake at night tortuously ruminating about more effective methods to hold everything in place. :-\

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Not a Jeep, but I tow the Jeep with it, so for my Yukon I sometimes take some liberties within the confines of the thread title.

Installed a new subwoofer. The old one had stopped functioning recently, and upon removal I discovered why: the foam surround was wholly disintegrated from dry-rot. The new Rockford Fosgate P1S2-8 sub is constructed with a Kevlar fiber reinforced paper cone and a nitrile butadiene rubber surround, so I expect to it to survive beyond the remaining lifetime of the vehicle.

The sub was not a direct drop-in for the fiberglass subwoofer surround, so it took a fair amount of time with the angle grinder to get it just right. So the whole job took just over an hour.

I can't make the long round-trip to Big Dogs with a sub-par (pun intended) sound system, now can I?

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• I've gotten lazy and throw a bluetooth speaker on the dash and stream music off the cell phone. :doh: Yet another project I need to complete!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I want to upgrade my sound system. Would like to put in a sub woofer and amp. Want more bottom!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Assessed the Big Dogs breakage. I destroyed he power steering box bracket (cast aluminum - WTF?), and the bolts sheared off. I expected that there would be collateral damage. I was right.

So, yeah. Multiple cracks in the body rails.

We extracted the broken bolts from the steering box (hopefully the box itself is okay). We welded the cracks. I ordered parts to reinforce the entire area.

~ JD

Edited 2 times, last by altierior ().

• Glad you're getting that under control John. I hope you're using steel this time...and lots of it. It was fun wheeling with you until that thing broke! I guess the recovery was fun too. Between that and running out of gas you had one fun weekend.

• Wow John. That's a pretty catastrophic break. I never saw it at Big Dogs.

Do they make a steering box brace like they do for the YJ's and TJ's? I put one on mine after cracking the frame pretty badly on my TJ. It's definitely something to look into.

• I hope you're using steel this time...and lots of it.

Do they make a steering box brace like they do for the YJ's and TJ's? I put one on mine after cracking the frame pretty badly on my TJ. It's definitely something to look into.

Here is my plan. Would you say THIS might do it?

First, this from Rusty's Offroad:

Installed, it will look something like this (pic credit: Jes from NAXJA:(

Next, replace that stupid stock cast-aluminum brace, which originally looked like this (pic credit: Jes from NAXJA:(

... until it looked like this (pic credit: SkinnyRidgeMJ from NAXJA:(

... which will be upgraded to this (also from Rusty's:(

Then, the coup de grâce. After considering this steering brace, which , much like Billy's, clamps around the steering box and braces it against the opposite frame rail (again, Rusty's:(

... I found this from Boostwerks Engineering:

So waddaya think?

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!