What have you done to your Jeep today?

• it's all good whatever works for you. I have been distracted from the jeep with deer hunting but would like to get her up and going again.

• I finally adjusted the new headlights tonight. I had to change out a faulty headlight switch. While I was in there, I decided to play with the different colored LED bulbs I had. I did a straight blue, half blue/half green, and straight white. I'm going to stick with my greens. They just seem better visible to me. I also played around with a mounting idea for my other light bar. I also picked up a Cherokee roof rack for the hardtop.

• Well, it's been a drawn out process with being busy, but I finally finished. First off, I made my own spare tire licence plate bracket with light. Second was tail lights. Third, I couldn't figure out where to put the reverse lights, so I temporarily installed them in the bumper, which doesn't look too bad. I may upgrade the bumper at a later date, but for now it will work. Lastly, the rear side marker lights. Didn't know if I wanted 2 1/2" lights or not, so I flipped a coin. Boy am I glad the 3/4" won. It looks much better than the larger ones. Everything is led on the rear.... Except for the 3rd brake light. Will eventually be doing something with that....... Stay tuned
    :thumbup:

• Well, it's been a drawn out process with being busy, but I finally finished. First off, I made my own spare tire licence plate bracket with light. Second was tail lights. Third, I couldn't figure out where to put the reverse lights, so I temporarily installed them in the bumper, which doesn't look too bad. I may upgrade the bumper at a later date, but for now it will work. Lastly, the rear side marker lights. Didn't know if I wanted 2 1/2" lights or not, so I flipped a coin. Boy am I glad the 3/4" won. It looks much better than the larger ones. Everything is led on the rear.... Except for the 3rd brake light. Will eventually be doing something with that....... Stay tuned
    :thumbup:

Looks good! If you want to ixnay the reverse lights in the future, you can. There's no federal or state requirement to have reverse lights. Although, with that being said, I do like to have them for when it's dark out as I tend to back into parking spaces more often than not.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Reverse lights aren't a inspection item but having gine ~20 years without them I'm glad to have them now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Lastly, the rear side marker lights. Didn't know if I wanted 2 1/2" lights or not, so I flipped a coin. Boy am I glad the 3/4" won. It looks much better than the larger ones.

be prepaired to put a 2" round reflector on rear sides when going though inspection. dmv requires 3sq-in.

• Changed out the busted motor mounts, painted the tailgate, had my cousin modify my bracket for the tire carrier and then I painted it, new headlights switch but I keep blowing fuses for the dash lights, replaced the 4 carriage bolts on the hardtop with some new stainless ones and a good dose of RTV, mocked up the XJ rack for the hardtop, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. The whole Jeep is going to be painted this dark gray color at some point in the future! I'm absolutely in love with it!

Edit: apologies or the double posting.. i. tired and don't feel like changing it...

• Took my jeep up to the DMV to see what would happen. The first time I had a little high CO levels ~7.5 and am allowed 6 all other things passed. I when out and adjusted the idle up a little and went back in line. This time it was ~4.5 and passed. They only do a low idle test on mine and did not hook up the rpm meter.

• New front shocks from Doetsch Tech. The old Skyjackers were a little too short and kept pulling the lower driver's side mount out of the skid plate under the spring. Also, because of the shackle reversal on the CJ, the axle would hit the shock body on compression (see the dent in the old shock body?). The Doetsch shocks are from their Baja Ryder line and are a "special build" with an offset loop to move the shock body away from the axle. Also check out the built-in bump stop at the top and the 5/8" diameter rod. All for $53 apiece! http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/

• Took it offroading in NJ on Tuesday after voting, just wanted to find a quiet spot to mess with a ham radio but found some mud. Got stuck and winched myself free... First time it's ever been really stuck besides at Rausch. :Driving:

Hosed off the pine barrens mud and took it through inspection this morning. Swapped to street tires for the trip and wow... The Jeep handles so differently with 32" street tires vs 35" muds. A little more responsive (stock gears), much better gas mileage (22 vs 15mpg) but also feels less stable in the tight turns. Making me consider leaving these on until snow comes, just looks funny with the 35" spare on the back. ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Well it's not much but I changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs. Looking into installing a CB that I have had for many years, Cobra 29ltd thats been very good to me and has some toys in it. Just don't know where to put the antenna..... Spare tire rack?? Don't want to drill anymore holes in the body.

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• That's a pretty slick deal! Did you actually search for offset body shocks? Bump stop is good, my shocks are used for that too.

I found Doetsch when I was researching shocks. They build shocks for a lot of the name brands. The offset loop ones are usually used for the rear axle, but I figured they would solve my problem with the shackle reversal in front.

• Well it's not much but I changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs. Looking into installing a CB that I have had for many years, Cobra 29ltd thats been very good to me and has some toys in it. Just don't know where to put the antenna..... Spare tire rack?? Don't want to drill anymore holes in the body.

There's not really a good way to mount it with the stock tire mount. Your best bet might be a 4ft antenna mounted to the bumper. Quadratec has a no-drill kit for that, but you can save a few bucks if you're ok with drilling a mounting hole in the bumper. http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_51_07.htm You'll need to add a grounding strap from the antenna mount to the frame. I suggest using a flexible antenna like the Firefly or the K40 Superflex.

Or for more casual use, just get a magnetic mount antenna and put in on the passenger cowl when you need it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!