What have you done to your Jeep today?

• The new one is galled? I know mine keeps loosening up. I don't have enough bolt end sticking through the mount to get a lock washer and nut on. I just replace the nut every couple years. I guess I should fix that.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I think I have a spare if you need one. I'll have to check

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well, I believe I will be mounting this light bar to the rear and up high. I really liked the way it throws the light out back.

Pic order:
    Rear light bar
    Front light bar
    Both light bars @ about 35 yds away from Jeep

• Well I got the Viair 450 mounted and wired today. I'm probably going to install an air tank down the road but being a constant duty pump it did pretty good airing up my 35's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Replaced the radiator on Jen's JKU...of course it's just out of bumper to bumper warranty and outside the dealers 30-day used vehicle warranty. I find it amusing that the cooling system isn't covered under the powertrain warranty. Pretty easy job, not sure whether I should be impressed or scared that the entire frontend can be disassembled with a 8mm, 10mm, and a ton of plastic clips. No more whiff of coolant after parking.

--Ian

• Replaced the radiator on Jen's JKU...of course it's just out of bumper to bumper warranty and outside the dealers 30-day used vehicle warranty. I find it amusing that the cooling system isn't covered under the powertrain warranty. Pretty easy job, not sure whether I should be impressed or scared that the entire frontend can be disassembled with a 8mm, 10mm, and a ton of plastic clips. No more whiff of coolant after parking.

--Ian

How old is that thing?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• How old is that thing?

2014. Jen was dead set on the color...one year only. Looking into it there was apparently a bad batch of radiators in '14's but doubt I'd get anywhere complaining about it. We got a good enough deal on it that <$200 to replace the radiator isn't the end of the world.

--Ian

• 2014. Jen was dead set on the color...one year only. Looking into it there was apparently a bad batch of radiators in '14's but doubt I'd get anywhere complaining about it. We got a good enough deal on it that <$200 to replace the radiator isn't the end of the world.

--Ian

Def sounds like it. You should get over 100k miles out of a factory radiator.

• Def sounds like it. You should get over 100k miles out of a factory radiator.

My thoughts exactly....it has a little over 40k on it, way too early to need a radiator replaced. Started noticing a slight coolant smell a couple weeks ago but wasn't dripping and with all the plastic cladding you can't see sh*t. Was weeping slightly at the seam where the plastic tank meets the core on the driver side.

--Ian

• Well... Finally drove the Jeep for the first time today after being in Jamaica for a week. Couldn't pick a better day!!!

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• We smell coolant from time to time with our JKU too but I've not been able to pinpoint it. Might be time to dig a little deeper.

Pop the plastic cover over the radiator (6 christmas-tree type clips IIRC) and look down each side of the tank...on Jen's I could see slight dried residue on the joint, not enough to drip but enough that every time she pulled into the garage recently there was an odor. Don't forget that the newer stuff takes the new OAT purple coolant.

--Ian

• winched Lauras YJ into the garage to figure out a no start. Engine would crank and it was getting fuel, broke out the fluke meter and found a corroded terminal on the ICM module connector. Looks like I will be doing a Nutter bypass this spring while replacing the transfer case, previous owner did a hack job on the transmission mount to skid plate. T case was contacting skid plate enough that it rubbed a hole through the rear cover.. Anyway it left the garage under its own power......

• I finally got some time to fab a sleeve up to correct the broken AC bracket. It ain't all that pretty but it got the job done. Now the bottom bracket is tight against the compressor like it should be and there's no more belt squeal/slap.
    Next, I changed the hose barbs on the trans cooler lines from 1/4" outlets to 3/8" outlets and replaced the other hard line with hose. Next order of business is to pick up a separate cooler for the trans and get it installed.
    I also pulled the tire carrier and its top bracket out. I put some 3/4" closed cell foam under the bracket and reinstalled it to get rid of the creaking noise it was causing.
    Next I finished the slam latch mod I started last weekend. Last weekend, I made some wear pads out of aluminum and JB Welded them in place. Yesterday, I installed the latches using some of the 1/4" rivnuts. Works perfectly and I now don't have to open the rear hatch first in order to drop the tail gate. Very happy with this mod!
    Lastly, I played around with mounting the rear LED light bar. It's mounted in place but not wired up yet. That will wait until I order a switch panel from Amazon. More to come!

• Speedometer gears got chewed up. Unfortunately the replacements I have are 15 tooth. Need a 20. Since this one came from a late 60s Scout with 4.27 gearing I think I may be out of luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Images

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!