Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I do. Unfortunately it is being used in its original location as a spacer! Is your drive gear bad?
    I think each drive gear can handle a range of driven gears.
    Gps speedometer is way more accurate, and you can change all the gears and tires you want!

• It has some nicks in a few of the teeth. I didn't want to use it. Plus it didn't match up with the 15 tooth speedo gear

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I understand. There was a chart I found somewhere that showed which gears went together.

Speaking of speedo gears, I forgot all about getting up with you to look at mine! Got any free time this week? Only night I'm busy is Wed night.. getting my taxes done.

BTW- Everytime I see that Willys Wagon rolling down the road I want to make a quick U-turn and chase ya down! ;)

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Speaking of speedo gears, I forgot all about getting up with you to look at mine! Got any free time this week? Only night I'm busy is Wed night.. getting my taxes done.
    BTW- Everytime I see that Willys Wagon rolling down the road I want to make a quick U-turn and chase ya down! ;)

Thursday after work is probably good. Finally got the red cj-7 off the lift and on the road!
    Gotta replace the manifold gasket on my Tahoe tomorrow. Had to put a battery in the Wagon today, they just don't like sitting. I wish I had all the money I've spent on batteries in my life, I've got about 8 of them total right now. Even with juggling the battery tender amongst the dormant ones they still occasionally die over winter.

• That's awesome the Red CJ is rolling! I'm sure he'll be happy ad hell!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That's awesome the Red CJ is rolling! I'm sure he'll be happy ad hell!

He took it home yesterday, I know he made it home, so it outlasted the warranty! It really is a strong runner. The transfer case has a new chain and part time kit. I made a twin stick shifter to replace the Mickey Mouse factory dealio. The steering geometry is corrected. New hoses, belts, seals, gaskets, u-joints. Everywhere I looked someone had been there before and they weren't nice about it.
    The engine is a 232? Six with a 4.0 HO head! I believe this head flows about 30 percent better than stock, and the rocker ratio is 1.6 to 1 instead of 1.5 to 1 which only helps more. I didn't check to see if the crank was from a 258, which would make it a stroker also.
    He said the disc brakes squeal, but they were rough and may take some time to smooth out, no brake parts were replaced yet.

• Early in line 6s were 232s. I think it's the same block as a 258.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Early in line 6s were 232s. I think it's the same block as a 258.

the block numbers said it was a 232. I thought by 79 they were 258. There's really no telling where the motor came from I guess, I just hope he can get some miles out of it before anything else needs attention.
    It is also running a 12" torque converter, which stalls about 400 rpm higher than stock.
    It was leaking like a sieve at the front pump seal. When I removed it to replace I found that the last guy chewed up the front bushing when he replaced the seal. Deltrans installed a new bushing and seals on the pump for $30.00. I have had only positive experiences with them, they are the go to place for automatic transmission needs.

• Awesome to hear that you were able to get the red CJ back on the road! Deltrans rebuilt my transmission a few years back and they were excellent! They even took a little time to paint the torque converter and used some bigger/stiffer springs in the rebuild. The tech said it would emulate a shift kit and give some longevity to the trans. They walked me through the reinstall action process when I picked the trans up and even took a couple calls I had when had some questions. I can't recommend them enough!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Neighbor and I ripped off the beat-to-pieces factory rear bumper from my JK and replaced it with a Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 bumper and drilled a hole to recess a 7-pin trailer harness in a safe location. Gained a few inches of clearance since the hitch is built into the bumper instead of below it like the factory hitch. Had to remove the factory tow hook to mount it (thank God for an impact gun and lots of air), but this has 2 shackle points, so I think I'm good.

After that we installed an Aries push bar onto the neighbors wife's JKU. I think that was harder than doing the bumper on my JK... PITA dealing with the frame cover and getting access to the bumper bolts with the vacuum pump in the way. Looks good though.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Installed an overhead MOLLE rack yesterday. This one is specifically designed to work with a hardtop. Now, just gotta add some pouches for flashlights and sunglasses.

And, here's the bumper that I did 2 weeks ago. Still need to drill a hole to mount the air quick connect and then mount lights inside the center openings.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Does the spare clear the trailer wiring well? Looks like it might be close.

Good catch! The spare sits out from the body about 8 inches (gerry can sits behind the tire), so there's plenty of clearance for the wiring. I was a little worried about that, but it cleared just fine.

Jerry / Whatevah

• what paint did you use? looks good

That's actually the factory Smittbilt finish, I'm guessing it's a textured powdercoat? Looks and feels like a bedliner. They've been using this for a few years now. It came scratched up and I used a rubber undercoating spray for those spots which does a decent job of matching the texture.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!