What have you done to your Jeep today?

• I bought my trail XJ a little gift: A new tow vehicle. The Yukon has treated me well, but it is time to retire it. I am expecting this truck will pull the XJ's trailer better than the Yukon did.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I bought my trail XJ a little gift: A new tow vehicle. The Yukon has treated me well, but it is time to retire it. I am expecting this truck will pull the XJ's trailer better than the Yukon did.

Nice! What engine do you have in it? What did you have in the Yukon? I imagine the truck is rated to tow more also.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Nice! What engine do you have in it? What did you have in the Yukon? I imagine the truck is rated to tow more also.
    Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

It has the 3.5 EcoBoost twin-turbo V6. It sounds like a freakin muscle car, and it accelerates like one. The Yukon has the 5.3 Vortec V8. The Ford has more hp and way more torque than the Vortec.

I think the Yukon was tow-rated at 7900#, and I was really pushing its limits with my steel trailer and the XJ (with all of the armor plus tools I carry, my XJ is 1100# heavier than stock). Additionally, I think that despite the 'tow package', the suspension on the Yukon was severely lacking. The rear-end of the Yukon really sagged under the tongue weight of the trailer. I think the F-150 is rated for 13,200#. I have not yet hooked up the trailer to the F-150, but I suspect that the Ford will not sag..

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• It has the 3.5 EcoBoost twin-turbo V6. It sounds like a freakin muscle car, and it accelerates like one. The Yukon has the 5.3 Vortec V8. The Ford has more hp and way more torque than the Vortec.

I think the Yukon was tow-rated at 7900#, and I was really pushing its limits with my steel trailer and the XJ (with all of the armor plus tools I carry, my XJ is 1100# heavier than stock). Additionally, I think that despite the 'tow package', the suspension on the Yukon was severely lacking. The rear-end of the Yukon really sagged under the tongue weight of the trailer. I think the F-150 is rated for 13,200#. I have not yet hooked up the trailer to the F-150, but I suspect that the Ford will not sag..

With all that weight your planning on towing, did you consider going to a heavier duty truck?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• With all that weight your planning on towing, did you consider going to a heavier duty truck?

I did consider it. I am going from 7900# rating to 13,200#, so I expect it to be fine, or better than fine. Everything that I learned in researching this truck is that I should expect it to pull my rig effortlessly.

~ JD

• Very nice For...Toy...Niss... Titundra 150...whatever! :mrgreen:

I had to tear the guts out of the drivers door to replace the plastic clips on the back of the pull handle so I could open the freaking door! Not a fun job!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Save the old plate and in 20 years it will be a collectable. Might be able to sell it for a six pack.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Since I had to be in town & sober this weekend (hey sometimes you gotta pay the bills) the soft top went on and SF tag updated. thank god for warmer weather!

Dropped the top today also. Still chilly in the morning. Have to remember to wear gloves. But the first ride of the year with no top and doors is always a great ride.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Cleaned up everything that was "Around, On, Under, and from inside the Scrambler!! You see, several years ago I sold my work van and all of my carpentry stuff ended up in every nook and cranny available. So I purchased an enclosed trailer to get things in order and sort through my stuff.

After 23 years in storage my goal is to get the 8 on the road by the end of the year?

• This is never a good sign ...

Pretty sure my pressure plate gave out. Might explain the vibration I've been experiencing for the last year. We shall see...

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Tire rotation and the wheel lock became unusable replacing last tire - any suggestions on how to get the wheel locks off? Tried the other mopar ‘keys’ we have, they don’t work. I don’t care if the locks become unusable, just want them off. Thanks! TM

• Finally got it back together and drove it. My pilot bearing was apparently spinning judging from it coming out when I pulled the tranny out, and the wear lines. Also had a broken motor mount, and the z-bar that connects the clutch linkages was at an angle and "could affect" the movement. I shimmed it and modified the bracket that mounts to the body.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Tire rotation and the wheel lock became unusable replacing last tire - any suggestions on how to get the wheel locks off? Tried the other mopar ‘keys’ we have, they don’t work. I don’t care if the locks become unusable, just want them off. Thanks! TM

But do you care about the wheel?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!