OX Locker Install D35

• I just bought an OX Locker and high strength axle shafts for the back of my jeep. I have never taken apart a diff before and need some help with the install. I know that the ring gear needs to be removed since i am using a new carrier but as far as i know, the pinion gear can stay in. I would really like to have someone come over and help me with the install (pizza and beer will be provided for duration of install), but any help would be welcome.

• Take it to a professional. Trust me. Anyone who can do it won't do it for free :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• since you are replacing the carrier, you will need to reset the backlash and all. Not the hardest thing to do, but yet not the easiest. Takes some special tools and knowledge. As Brain said, take it to a pro, spend a few bucks and get it done.

On a side note: it helps to introduce yourself and be a memeber before asking of such work from members of the club.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• To answer your question you don't have to touch the pinion.

You will howerver need carrier bearings and a new shim kit for the d35. As far as tools you will need a caliper, backlash dial indicator with stand and usually a case spreader with d35's bacause the shims are outboad of the bearings so it is hard to get the shims in without spreading the housing. You will also need bearing and retainers for the new axles. I would also recomend new seals and a press because they are near impossible to install without hydralic assistance.

Aaron

• sorry for the lack of an introduction...and i am in the process of becoming a member

My name is Eric. i have been in DE my whole life and a jeep owner for a bit over 2 years. I was introduced to DEJA last year at the Jeeps for Joy ride and met Don Nichols (who i learned used to work with my dad). So far my build has been slow since it was being done on a college budget. Now that im able to do some of the more involved stuff, i thought it would be good to become a member of one of these clubs and figured that one of del natives would be best.

again, sorry for the lack of "forum etiquette"

• sorry for the lack of an introduction...and i am in the process of becoming a member

My name is Eric. i have been in DE my whole life and a jeep owner for a bit over 2 years. I was introduced to DEJA last year at the Jeeps for Joy ride and met Don Nichols (who i learned used to work with my dad). So far my build has been slow since it was being done on a college budget. Now that im able to do some of the more involved stuff, i thought it would be good to become a member of one of these clubs and figured that one of del natives would be best.

again, sorry for the lack of "forum etiquette"

welcome. this is a great club. as far as jeep clubs go, you won't find better people than the ones here. :)

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• not sure how safe it is to ox lock a 35 though..

what current mods do you have/goals.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• i have the 2.5L, stock gears, and stock transfer case, so im not putting a ton of torque through my driveline. I dont plan on re-doing my gears, and dont plan on doing a 4:1 transfer case. i am on 33's. With the ox, i bought high strength axle shafts (effectively a super 35 kit).

• understandable. What kind of lift are you running?

Problem is on the trails with stock gearing and 33's or oversize tires in general is your speed at which you crawl, like 10 mph. :driving:

Many that stay stockish in the same situation your in, such as lift tires stock gears no tcase work, regear and lock the front. What kind of trail riding do you do?

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• right now i have a 2 inch spacer lift and 1 inch body lift. within the next few months, i am gonna buy a 4 inch Cage lift and keep the body lift

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_303.htm

as far as trails, blue and red at rausch, and some mud in the pine barrens

as far as the crawl speed, i do have 4.10's so i can still go pretty slow, slower than most of the other guys i wheel with (most have 3.73's). but that is a good point and something that i have thought about

• as far as trails, blue and red at rausch, and some mud in the pine barrens

i'm a-thinkin i see a typo there? :shrug:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• good catch...blue and black, not red. in my mind black seems like it should be worse than red

i can see what you mean, but...

think rage and an emergency vehicle's flashing lights and blood... that kind of red :laughing:

~ JD

• in that case, i would definitely lock the front as would most people suggest.

• in that case, i would definitely lock the front as would most people suggest.

Not me. I'll argue for locking the rear over the front but that is for another thread. ;)
    Good luck setting the gears and I hope to see you on the trails. :driving:

Oh yeah....watch how you run the cable being careful to avoid the manifold when running it out of the fire wall. :doh: Ask me how I know.
    Buy some 1/2" heater hose, cut a slit down it length wise and place it over all areas inside the engine compartment, then wrap it in exhaust tape. (The stuff you dip in the white glue and wrap around muffler holes.) This will help reduce the chance that cable will melt if the cable flexes towards the manifold. :up:

• yea, i want to do a trail run pretty soon, but i have 2 blown shocks from my last trip and i am waiting to get my lift since it comes with shocks, also i would like to get this ox in before i hit the trails again, ie i want to play with my new toy ;D, i just need some help in setting the gears which seems like a pretty technical job. i would like to do it my self, but alot of people are saying to have a pro do it...i just dont want to spend what a shop will charge for a job like that, and i like doing my own work and figuring out how everything works

• i just dont want to spend what a shop will charge for a job like that, and i like doing my own work and figuring out how everything works

If you decide to have a shop do it check with these guys. Pete is really good and has never jerked me around. He's very knowledgeable with lifted Jeeps.

Pete's Garage
    petesgarage.procarcarezone.com
    707 Dawson Dr
    Newark, DE 19713
    (302) 286-6069

• went over to pete's today to get an estimate. i was able to meet pete and he seems like a real stand up guy. quoted me a very fair price and seems real sharp. as soon as i get the $$ i think i will have him do it. thanks for the good tip ;D

• went over to pete's today to get an estimate. i was able to meet pete and he seems like a real stand up guy. quoted me a very fair price and seems real sharp. as soon as i get the $$ i think i will have him do it. thanks for the good tip ;D

Pete is awesome! Did you tell him I sent you?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!