Little bit of grinding 1st into 2nd

• So over the last few months (I really don't dive the Jeep that much) I've started noticing that as I shift from 1st gear into 2nd gear I get a bit of grinding. It seems that if I shift at a higher RPM it is sometimes smoother. Occasionally it is stiff to put into 1st and I need to push it pretty hard. I did some research and read that this can happen if the fluid in the transmission needs to be changed. Also changing the fluid in the tcase can't hurt. I have not changed the fluid in either since the June GWNF trip and I spent a good bit of time in the river pretty deep.

So do you think if I change the fluid and put in the good stuff from Amsoil I'll be good to go? OR is this just a precursor to a bigger and more expensive problem. ;(

Thanks in advance...

• I would change the fluid and see if it helps any.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Mine has a similar problem, from 1st to 2nd is a little stiff, but it gets better as I drive. I just had my tranny fluid changed, but haven't touched the tcase yet. This didn't really help. 1st is about impossible unless I'm at a dead stop. 2nd doesn't really grind, it's more stiff than anythng.

• same problem...u guys have the four banger and ax-5? its stiff to get into second and sometimes grinds, but only when cold, seems to warm up out of it. id like to hear any good (cheap) solutions too.

• Could be your syncros starting to go. Mine started to go on my ax15, but I never grinded into any gear. Even before I pulled the ax15, it was shifting fine into every gear. :shrug:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Just a thought, try a more gentle and steady pressure from 1st to 2nd. It may take a bit to make the shift but I know that technique works well for mine. Forcing the shift is definitely going to wear things faster and if it is your synchros going, they are just going to die a quicker death. The Amsoil will help, but probably any fluid change would. Run the fluid through a paint strainer and see if you have any metallic or other bits in there. The Amsoil does have a lower pour point and does stay thinner during these cold months, which helps the shifting overall. The cold is hell though and mine is definitely more difficult to shift initially when it gets below 30F. And I do realize that I have an NSG370, not the AX15, but worth a try eh? ;D

• OK so my plan is to change the fuild. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that helps some.

Could be your syncros starting to go. Mine started to go on my ax15, but I never grinded into any gear. Even before I pulled the ax15, it was shifting fine into every gear. :shrug:

While reading some stuff about this on the Internet there was a few mentions of the syncros. What is involved if those are the problem?

• OK so my plan is to change the fuild. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that helps some.

While reading some stuff about this on the Internet there was a few mentions of the syncros. What is involved if those are the problem?

rebuilding your tranny

• or just get a new one.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• slow and steady shifting does the trick for me.
    slightly off topic but, how can you tell when you syncro's are going bad?

• slightly off topic but, how can you tell when you syncro's are going bad?

Definitely not off topic. reading through this I've been wondering the same thing. Let's say I change the fluid and it's still grinding a bit. Is there any way to tell if I need to just drive smoother or if the tranny needs replacing or rebuilding.

• Mine was obvious because they were getting noisy. Also, something else besides the syncros sounded like it was about to go. The transmission didn't sound very happy so it was obvious that it was in need of a rebuild. If you need new syncros, I'd say just get a new one as well. That's what I did. I got an nv3550 with 58,000 miles on it with an np231 attached as well as everything to do an auto to manual swap even though I didn't need it all. It cost me $750 plus I unloaded my ax15 for $100 and some traded Jeep parts. Now I have an extra np231 and slave cylinder and stuff. It's not that bad if you happen upon a good deal. :wavey:

• Mine was obvious because they were getting noisy.......If you need new syncros, I'd say just get a new one as well. That's what I did. I got an nv3550 with 58,000 miles on it with an np231 attached as well as everything to do an auto to manual swap even though I didn't need it all......

haha replace the transmission, thats one method if you have any doubt that your syncros are bad :spinrhead: :doh: :bang:.... but are there tell tale signs? (hard to shift, any specific noise, gears flying out and into the engine bay, etc.) with 130,xxx miles on the tranny, what should i be looking/ listening for to tell if i have "bad syncros."

• Its a well know problem. It will not hurt anything. Oil change may help a little, but don't hold your breath. Try using AMSOIL Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (O.K. its a shameless plug) I have seen it make the shift a little easier when the transmission is cold.

I have been giving discounts to club members but Amsoil policy says I can't advertise them, so PM me for a price.

You'll need 7 pints (3.5 quarts) for a AX-5 (4 cylinder) and 6.8 pints 3.5 quarts for a AX-15 (6 cylinder)

• Its a well know problem. It will not hurt anything. Oil change may help a little, but don't hold your breath. Try using AMSOIL Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 (O.K. its a shameless plug) I have seen it make the shift a little easier when the transmission is cold.
    I have been giving discounts to club members but Amsoil policy says I can't advertise them, so PM me for a price.
    You'll need 7 pints (3.5 quarts) for a AX-5 (4 cylinder) and 6.8 pints 3.5 quarts for a AX-15 (6 cylinder)

Not that I don't run liquid gold ($$$ Amsoil) for everything in my Jeep, but Royal Purple is about the only fluid that the feedback suggests that a difference in shifting could be felt. If you want the best chance of it shifting better, I would personally go with the RP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!