• Nice! I haven't had the guts to go to 2.2 yet. Too many people are bricking Incredibles doing it wrong or having it go haywire on them. I don't have insurance, so I think I'm just going to wait for the official and unroot and do it...maybe. :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I got my Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S from T-Mobile on Friday. Although it's only running 2.1 it's a sweet phone. I compared it to my friends Droid X and they were evenly matched except my screen quility was slightly better. Very crisp with virtually no glare. :up: It's about time T-Mobile pushed out a decent Droid Smartphone.

• yeah I'm amazed at the quality of the "Super AMOLED" screen, great viewing angle, too. It's supposedly not quite as detailed as the new iphone screen (fewer pixels) but I haven't noticed any issues with it. Check out AppBrain.com it's a cool way to manage your apps and find new ones, compared to the Android Market.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• It's amazing how fast the Android market has grown.
    Check this out:
    http://www.electronista.com/ar…ave.34pc.us.market.share/

Is there a way to use skype or another software to make calls over wi-fi. Verizon doesn't allow you to use wi-fi to make calls over skype. Any ideas?

Fring, Qik, TiKL and a few others go from device to device but I don't know of any good VOIP programs yet.

• Joo-

You can do wireless tethering (create a wi-fi hotspot for your laptop/PSP/DS/iphone without signal) and run a few other apps not available in the normal market. You can get root access to the OS to muck around with things if you are a Linux geek. For example, 2.2 has a bug which affects AAC file decoding (if Pandora/Slacker sounds like crap after 2.2 this is the bug) that I can fix by going in a modifying a conf file a normal user wouldn't be able to do. Not that the X really needs it but you can also overclock your CPU for faster speeds. I can also schedule OS and app level backups of my phone so I can restore if there's a problem or I can throw a different ROM on and then restore all my apps/settings.

The X is one step closer to getting custom ROMs. It does seem like it's only a matter of time and the device isn't 'unhackable' as once feared.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010…recovery-image-roms-next/

• Ahh but what you don't understand is that it allows user defined profiles so during times when the screen is locked or battery is below X% it allows you to -under-clock the CPU which can counteract increase battery drain from overclocking. I can drop as low as 125Mhz (<25% normal speed) while inactive. All in all, I haven't seen a difference in battery life since going to 2.2 and overclocking.

• Pardon the blatant sales pitch, but check out Dropbox. Pretty sweet little app. Free version lets you create an folder on your home machine (Windows/Mac/Linux) up to 2GB and it gets sync'd to the cloud which you can access from your phone. If you want to share a file with someone you can link to just an individual file and send them the link and other cool stuff like that.

http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTk5ODU5Njg5

I get an extra 250MB of storage if you create an account so I'm obviously trying to increase my storage by posting this but that just shows it's a useful program. :)

Oh and it works for all you i*hone users too.

• About this phone but a little different subject.

I was reading on Fox news this week about the new wave of crime. They said that these phones are very prone to viruses and hacking and that it's becoming a new fad to hack a phone and get all your passwords and such off of it. Since some people use their internet to check account balances or credit card stuff or the like, it's very possible that if someone hacks your phone you could easily be a victim of identity theft.
    They were saying you can download stuff like Symnatic software or some other antivirus stuff that can make it harder but that "Nothing" you've ever put on your phone is TRULY deleted and that if you ever lost your phone, a person who knew how, could see everything you've ever done with it.

Sounds a little scary to me. I don't have a Droid yet, but was looking at upgrading to one but now I'm reconsidering. Computer stuff is not my thing and I don't want to have to worry about viruses or being hacked or upgrading virus software and such. I hate doing that stuff even on my laptop.

Just asking and looking forward to your responses. If you want to break this into a different thread, feel free to do so!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Three letters: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt]FUD[/url] (something Fox News is experts at ;) )

It's true you do more with a smart phone but I would recommend a fresh application of tin foil before telling someone to run antivirus on one. It comes down to common sense things like not saving passwords when you log in to your checking account on the phone and stuff like that. You can also lock them through a PIN number or drawing a pattern on the screen so your average person can't find it and pick it up. I run an app on mine that if I txt it with a certain PIN it will respond back with the GPS coordinates and address of the phone and there are even apps out there to remotely wipe if you lose it. In the end, if I were to lose it, I would be more concerned about not getting back pictures or whatever on the phone than someone maliciously using the info on it.

edit: This (http://www.mobiledia.com/news/72516.html) is probably what they were talking about. It's a trojan, not a virus which is a very different thing. This is a legitimate app which does something else than it says it does. Anytime you install an app on an Android phone you have to specifically grant access to certain resources (e.g. internet, gps, ability to make phone call or send SMS). In this case the user should say, 'hey, why am I installing a media players which needs to send SMS?' so it's exploiting the human factor not the phone. As they say, 'There's no patch for stupid.' :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!