What to do in Outer Banks

• I am heading down to the Outer Banks pretty soon. I have never been there before. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to see and/or things to do with the family? Obviously the surf rods are coming down but other than that I am not sure what else is around.

• If your going soon, I'd say nothing but relax. If it was summer time, I'd say that Kitty Hawk can be fun, the Wright Brothers museum, different light houses, swimming etc... In the off season, it's amazing at how little there is to do. You might find the occasional restaurant but probably 60% of them are closed too.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• If your going soon, I'd say nothing but relax. If it was summer time, I'd say that Kitty Hawk can be fun, the Wright Brothers museum, different light houses, swimming etc... In the off season, it's amazing at how little there is to do. You might find the occasional restaurant but probably 60% of them are closed too.

Thanks for the heads up and info. The house has a hot tub and I have the tequila and rum. So that will be the plan.

• Like Wolverine said but all depends on how far down you are going. If it is your first time, always worth the trip to Ocracoke via ferry. We stay in Avon/Buxton a couple times a year and just chill our on the beach. Sound is fun if you have smaller kids. Hit Canadian Hole a few miles south of Buxton.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• Ocracoke Island is a fun trip. Had one of the best crab cakes ever on the docks down there. All the Black Beard stuff is pretty cool too. There's a restaurant in Nags Head called Bad Barracuda's which was really good. But it's been a long time since I've been down there.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Drive pretty much to the VA line on the beach starting in Corrolla. Its fun but not many ppl around to pull you out if you get stuck this time of year.

That's a fun ride.

Pretty hard to get stuck on that stretch.

I saw trucks hauling drywall to new houses running up the beach at 30-40 mph.

• is that turtle dead? ;( they only beach to lay eggs, and only on moonlit nights.

on the sand + in the sun = dead, or soon to be... ;( ;( ;( ;(

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!