Shoot holes in my upgrade plan please

• Just looking for a sanity check, please tell me if I'm missing anything or you see any big holes in this.

99 TJ w 2.5" OME shocks/springs/bump stops, , 33x12.5's, 3/4 coil spacers, 1.25" body lift, D30 in the front, 8.8 in the rear w outboarded shocks, adjustable upper f&r control arms, fixed lowers, adjustable front track bar, rear track bar sitting on the OME relo bracket, tummy tuck, SYE, JKS disconnects, extended rear sway bar links, Currie drag link, custom tie rod.

So I'm looking to go 4". Originally I was planning on sticking with the OME 4" shocks but for the life of me I can't find them online anywhere now and they were only available a few places before. I'm thinking they've been discontinued so I'm leaning towards the Bilstein 5100's (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16070_202.htm http://www.quadratec.com/products/16070_203.htm). I was planning on keeping my springs and removing the 3/4" spacers in favor of 2" spacers as a cost savings. My front disconnects are rusted to hell and getting them to extend will be next to impossible and I think they are only rated for 3" so they will get replaced with new JKS 4-6" ones (Anti-rock is tempting but it does get a decent amount of highway miles...tempting...).

- Long arm is out of the question so don't even bring it up. :) I plan on sticking with 33's for the present time unless I stumble across some dirt cheap 35's
    - Any other upgrades I'm missing required for the 4"? I think I've already done all the major stuff like the SYE. Drop pitman arm?
    - Bar pin eliminator while I'm at it?
    - Keeping the springs and putting the 2" spacers kinda has me nervous but I can't give a tangible reason why. I would expect it to ride well but for some reason it seems shady. Putting out the money for springs as well would make me think twice about the entire upgrade though.

• My question is why do you feel you need to go taller? Do the 33s rub? If they do, would bump stops help?
    Its my understanding that ome 2.5" springs are more like 3" possibly a bit more. I would say that 2.5 OMEs plus the 2 inch spacers may be a bit much. Not only will it make your ride quality suck but it will be overly tall with 33s IMHO. If your stuck on keeping the 2.5s id bump the the spacer size down a bit to maybe some 1" spacers. With the taller lift you may be looking at investing in longer brakelines if you dont have them already. 5100 bilstiens are a good choice and should give you a nice ride. (I have some lower front bpes if you want them. No need for a drop pitman arm.
    Personally I would scrap the 33s, cowboy the F@#$ up, buy some 35s, Add about an 1"-1.5" spacer, new shocks, new brakelines and No longer will pennsyltucky make you its Bitch. :mrgreen:
    Just sayin.......

Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I'm going to have to agree with Turtle and Ed, stick with the 2.5" coils as I am also running the 4" OME coils with 35s and I think its a bit too tall.

• I'm going to have to agree with Turtle and Ed, stick with the 2.5" coils as I am also running the 4" OME coils with 35s and I think its a bit too tall.

Sorry, real life interupted and haven't been able to think about this for a few days.

Chris - What about it makes it too tall? I certainly wouldn't be the first to run a 4" lift on 33's, I know a few people on here do. I'll be happy to take your 4" emu springs off ya. ;)

35's would probably eventually be the goal "when the time is right" which probably means either when the 33's are worn down (~80% tread now), I blow out the sidewalls on a few more or I get a good deal on 35's I can use for trail tires. The overall motivation for doing is simply to be able to take harder lines, bigger trails, etc. I forgot about longer brake lines but yeah, that would definitely be part of it.

So I guess possible upgrade paths would be either existing springs + 2" spacers and 4" Bilstein's or 4" springs and the Bilsteins. Just looking at that for a moment, what is wrong with using the existing springs and adding the 2" spacers? Would save something like $600.

• Ok not that I have looked into it, but springs are usually what? $150 per pair and spacers cost around $70 new from a catalog? So instead of saving $600 it's like $230? What else are you doing? I've kind of teetered with the idea of moving to 35s with my springs but want the extra fender clearance (DnD tube fenders anyone).

• What is this DnD you speak of? I think your worried too much about fender clearance. I ran omes with 37s and no bump stops and still didn't have any major clearance issues. Again, I'd save the money, buy some 1.5-1.75" spacers, sell the 33s and use the $$$ your saving/making to buy some 35s. Springs etc.... Might give you some ground clearance but the larger tires are going to get you up onto and over larger rocks and through bigger holes. Perhaps maybe do an undercoverfab belly up skid to top it all off. Btw... A whole set of spacers can be purchased for under $100 bucks.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Geoff,

I am holding onto my coils as I am planning on moving to 37s once the 60's go in. This however, won't be for a while.

I'm interested in this "DnD" you guys speak of as well!

• DnD does some great work. They did the roll cage in EMS3420 jeep. They are located just outside of Reading Pa. They also just moved into a larger shop with some retail space in the front.

X2 :up: :up: :up: They are in Temple Pa great guys to work with they have helped me out many times. I picked up my 8.25 for my YJ from them I blew it the Thursday befor the PaJeeps show and Mike said he would bring it to the show with him.IIRC they make a DIY Tube Fender kit (pre cut/bent U weld on)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!