Damn, now what!

• Ok, finally got the YJ inspected. Momma and I decided to go cruisin". Along about dusk, turned the lights on and BAM!. Alternator belt started squealin, voltmeter gauge dropped to 8 volts. I turned on just the parking lights. The belt squealed for a short time, voltmeter gauge dropped to 8 volts. When the squealing stopped, I looked at the voltmeter and it was back on 14 volts. Turned the headlights on and the constant squealing started with the voltmeter @ 8 volts.
    I had cleaned all the ground connections and cables when I replaced the engine. Even added some additional ground wires. Alternator was new last year and only has a few hundred miles on it. I do know the alternator is not 100% square to the engine.
    Any ideas, or recommendations on a good electrical shop?

• just drive over to autozone they can check you alt in the car for free

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• What happens when you turn on the lights with it not running?

What does the battery voltage drop to?

Sounds more like a short in the wiring than an alternator issue.

Even with a bad alternator the belt should not squeal when a load is applied to the alternator.

It may be multiple issues but the belt is also loose.

• Even with a bad alternator the belt should not squeal when a load is applied to the alternator.

It may be multiple issues but the belt is also loose.

Maybe.

He said it did it when he turned on the parking lights also.

They draw like maybe 2 amps.

If you overload an alternator, or if it has a bad diode strange things can happen.

If it wants to lock up, either the belt slips or the engine stalls. Something has to give.

• For now, El Cap E Tan was correct. New belt on new engine + stretch=squeal. I tightened the belt last night after I removed the steering shaft and centered the steering wheel. Squeal is gone for now, but I have to find another alternator mounting bracket and check the wiring harness. Too many folks have suggested a short.
    Thanks for all the help.
    2 years of turnin' wrenches, lookin' @ her and fightin' her, now I want to enjoy crusin' as long as I can. Momma's already hollerin' "get a full soft top & upper doors"! Maybe Momma likes my Jeep after all.

• was it sitting for a while maybe there is debris in the alt cause random seizing. causing a drop in voltage and slippage. take the belt off see if it feels like its binding at all im :fishing: a little. but really it sounds like your going to need to replace it

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!