need new tires!

• Need some advice, need new tires for my LJ. torn between Goodyear duratracs or BFGs a/t???? I'm running 33's. she's my DD.. any advice from you guys runnin this size tire? Thanks jimmy

• Depends a lot if you do minor off roading or just drive around town.. I had the bfg a/ts and they wore down after 35k miles.... Don't know much about good years...

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I have run BFG's and Duratrac's and hands-down, the Duratracs are better. Don't get me wrong, the BFG are great tires, but the new Duratracs are just a step above. Currently running 285x75r16 on my Tacoma...

• ive been running Nitto terra grapplers on my last 2 vehicles. no complaints to them. awesome in the winter.

• I had 31" Duratracs on my LJ and was very under-impressed with them in the small amount of snow we got this year. Especially being a severe snow rating tire. I have always been a fan of A/T KOs. I recommend them all the time at work.

• Thanks for all the info! called DTC yesterday, can install 33's bfgs for 195. per tire. still waiting to see if they can get the duratracs in stock. thanks again..jc

• I had 31" Duratracs on my LJ and was very under-impressed with them in the small amount of snow we got this year. Especially being a severe snow rating tire. I have always been a fan of A/T KOs. I recommend them all the time at work.

Used them in VT and Upstate NY snow, I can't imagine ever saying the BFG are better than the Duratracs... IMHO, hands down the Duratracs are a better winter and even offroad tire but hey, to each their own...

EDIT: Let me add the caveat, compared to my Tacoma, Jeeps absolutely suck in snow without at least a LSD in the rear, 4wd active + rear LSD being better (still not great comparatively). It may not be the tire that was the issue...

• This is a nice look...

I'm digging that look too. . Fyi I've been running general grabber red labels and I love them. Great on road as rhey are on the beach.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Used them in VT and Upstate NY snow, I can't imagine ever saying the BFG are better than the Duratracs... IMHO, hands down the Duratracs are a better winter and even offroad tire but hey, to each their own...

EDIT: Let me add the caveat, compared to my Tacoma, Jeeps absolutely suck in snow without at least a LSD in the rear, 4wd active + rear LSD being better (still not great comparatively). It may not be the tire that was the issue...

I would argue as well... I have not run the Duratracs but exclusively run the AT on my 4 runner and F250 plow truck. I am nothing but impressed with the AT. My plow rig spreads more than 50-100 tons of salt a year, depending on the season, and I have yet to need the strap. I have an 11' plow on it(fully extended) and have had heavy snow over the wipers deep, keeps on going. On the Runner They are sensitive to air pressure with the traction, but find the right pressure for your rig and they WORK. Different strokes for different folks... Whatever works.

Thanks Ross

• A\T's are much different than Duratracs. Better comparison would be the Mud Terrain(KM2's) to the Duratracs. I will tell you that my KM2's SUCK in snow, rain, and ice! But that just makes me do what everyone should do..slow down!
    When it comes time to replace, I'm looking at Mickey Thompsons or the Duratracs.

• A\T's are much different than Duratracs. Better comparison would be the Mud Terrain(KM2's) to the Duratracs. I will tell you that my KM2's SUCK in snow, rain, and ice! But that just makes me do what everyone should do..slow down!
    When it comes time to replace, I'm looking at Mickey Thompsons or the Duratracs.

No, just no... But whatever. Lol. To the OP, just do your own research and talk to people that have actually run both tires.

• Used them in VT and Upstate NY snow, I can't imagine ever saying the BFG are better than the Duratracs... IMHO, hands down the Duratracs are a better winter and even offroad tire but hey, to each their own...

No doubt every rig is different, I just found the GYs locked up under braking very easily and spun under the lightest throttle application. The General Grabber at2s on my TJ were amazing, but they are also a narrower tire.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!