Legal Wheeling in Delaware (Not a Canal Thread)

• Would you be interested in a legal private area to wheel in the Smyrna area? How much would you be willing to pay? 35

1. $5 (1) 3%
    2. $10 (9) 26%
    3. $15 (7) 20%
    4. $20 (9) 26%
    5. Not interested (1) 3%
    6. Unsure (8) 23%

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL (unless there is a large enough interest)
    I am trying to talk a friend of mine into using their land for a small but legal wheeling spot in Smyrna De. My friends own 30 acres of wooded land that they are considering building trails on. While 30 acres is not a lot of land it would work to test new parts or just fix a wheeling itch if not able to make it to RC or the Pine Barrens. They could have some trails of all levels (Green-Red), Mud, and Rocks. Delaware is a bit flat but trails could be built to satisfy our needs. They would need help to build trails so entry fees could be waived for those who would help to build trails.

If interested how much would you be willing to pay to wheel for the day?

If not interested please post why you do not like this idea.

• in this case, i would have to see the land before i threw a number out there. given the location, i am picturing flat and no rocks. now, i know you said there are rocks there, but i would want to see what it is like...

• They would probably have to keep up on Land maintenance if they didn't want the whole thing to be Mud and even then thats what it turns to. from what I have see around here with stuff like that it All ends up mud. Eastern shore Jeep started getting concrete chunks out to their land which was cool but its a lot to get there and then have to move and place. Just seems like it would be a lot more work then most would want to deal with.

It would be something though and would definitely help with the little wheeling itches here and there.

• You mean for about an hour. 30 acres is nothing.

and you could wheel all day on 30 acres you just have to drive in circles. :spinrhead: Think of NASCAR they drive like 400 miles at Dover Downs and that is only a mile track. :driving:

The liability insurance that he would need to carry would cost way more than what he would be able to bring in.

You are right about the insurance it would cost a fair amount cause you know farm insurance (or what ever they have) would not cover it. And i'm sure there would be more costs as well. They are just throwing ideas out there. It would even be cool just to have a local place to test your new equipment before you make a real trip.

• I like the idea and I'd be willing to wheel there.
    If the mud is anything like Southern Delaware or Eastern Shore...I'll stay away from the mud.

• As far as the insurance thing, I don't see why you couldn't just have a waiver stating that the driver of the vehicle is fully aware of the dangers of off roading and is fully responsible for his actions, the actions of his vehicle, and any damage that can occur.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As far as the insurance thing, I don't see why you couldn't just have a waiver stating that the driver of the vehicle is fully aware of the dangers of off roading and is fully responsible for his actions, the actions of his vehicle, and any damage that can occur.

You don't think RC has issurance?

• Back when we raced moto cross every weekend we had a friend that had a huge farm. He let us build a beautiful practice track on the back of his property and even would let us use his loaders to use to build the track. He had a lawyer draw up a waiver and charged a small fee. Don't remember the cost but it was nothing at all. If I remember there were over 100 people that would use it on weekends if not more. Good times :up:

• Back when we raced moto cross every weekend we had a friend that had a huge farm. He let us build a beautiful practice track on the back of his property and even would let us use his loaders to use to build the track. He had a lawyer draw up a waiver and charged a small fee. Don't remember the cost but it was nothing at all. If I remember there were over 100 people that would use it on weekends if not more. Good times :up:

I think that is their same idea.

• I'd probably pay $10 or $20 provided it wasn't all mud and there was some fun stuff to play on. Even if he doesn't need insurance, based on the amount of time to cut/setup trails, the potential for damage to his property, etc I wouldn't expect it to be a profit maker but if he just wants to do it for the fun of it, rock on.

• Personally I think its a good idea it wouldn't be hard to get the concrete chunks trust me just call a concrete company that you wantall gthe left over busted up concrete and they would be more then happy to give it to you free of charge. Better then getting charged 5$ a ton at a lot of places who recuycle it anyway.and I would pay 5-10$ pending on what it is. Where at in Smyrna anyway.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Personally I think its a good idea it wouldn't be hard to get the concrete chunks trust me just call a concrete company that you wantall gthe left over busted up concrete and they would be more then happy to give it to you free of charge. Better then getting charged 5$ a ton at a lot of places who recuycle it anyway.and I would pay 5-10$ pending on what it is. Where at in Smyrna anyway.

Technically in Clayton almost to the MD line.

Technically in Clayton almost to the MD line.

That's fricking sweet! My parents live out that way off of Sewell Branch Rd. off of Rt. 6. After wheeling there'd be the pool, BBQ, bonfire, shooting, hunting, etc. If anyone's rig is busted it could be towed to/repaired/stored (short term of course) at the house. :up:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Ahhh Millington yeah right down the road from my parents house more then likely. Well if they need a machine operator I'm game haja

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I put 15, but I'd pay 10-20. I don't need anything crazy, just something to fool around with would be sweet! I'm definitely down to help build on weekends.

• Well the feedback here has peaked their interest. We will be chatting more in depth soon to see if this will become a reality. If it becomes a reality it will start slow since it would take time to build so it may start out as open only to DeJA in the beginning. I will update after I talk more with them and check out the land closer than my last visit. I can't promise that this will take shape but there is at least a good possibility that we could be wheeling there this time next year.

• Would think if its kept as private land, and we give donations as opposed to paying, it may reduce the liability. Sign a waiver and it should be good. Perhaps if its an exclusive DEJA thing, we could require only paid members have access. This would increase paid memebership, and then contribute as a club to the land owner

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!