Transfer case mechanic?

• Hey guys, any recommendations for a mechanic to look @ my 04 LJ T.C.?? Hit black ice today, wound up in ditch, try to engage 4LO... sounded like lots of rocks banging around.... needless to say.. waited for tow! thanks Jimmy

• Shifter arm might just need adjusted? It sounds like it wasn't fully engaged.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Above your transfer case skid near the front driveshaft yoke you will see an arm that comes to the case and connects to a lever on the t-case. You may need to disconnect the rod or have someone sitting in the jeep help with pulling the lever thats inside. Shift the lever (on the t-case) by hand, this might take some efort but it should click, once for 4hi and a second time for low, I cant remember if its up or down but its only going to go one way. shift it to hi and get in the jeep and see if it drives fine in 4-hi. If it does than you probably bent the rod. I would try bending the rod back before anything else. Otherwise it adjusts, I forget how because its been awhile but I remember it being pretty easy. It does sound like a box of rocks when its not engaging though, if it were internal it would probably sound like a box of rocks in 2wd also.

• Thanks, it's drives fine in 4H, but won't engage into 4L.. Yes, there is a click for N before putting it into 4L. Gotta look @ it sat. to dark when I got home today. thanks again! jimmy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!