gas mileage

• I have an 03 tj 4.0 auto 3.73's and 31's and get about 180 per tank with mixed driving. This is corrected mileage (+ Approx. 4%) Also, although the stock tj tanks hold 19 gallons, when the gas light comes on it will only take about 13.5 gallons to fill it back up. So, there is still a substantial amount of fuel left in the tank when the light goes on. I'm only pointing this out becasue some people use the light as an indicator and some the actual gauge. just sayin.

• I remember on my 97 tj that when I put the kilby gas tankskid on
    My fuel light would come on sooner. It would only take 13.5 gallons to fillup
    Before skid it would take 16 or more gallons when light came on

05 unlimited rubicon teraflex long arm kit poison spyder rocker guards 35" pro comp extreme mud terrains

• Two pages later and the only thing we can say for certain is that your speedo is accurate. Have you determined your actual mpg? Do you have an aftermarket gas tank skid plate? Is the Jeep running well?

What I was asking is what are people getting in first post. I checked speedo yesterday and am going to run tank dry then fill and write down total gallons, reset trip and see from there. Jeep runs great and stock tank 19.0 gallon.

• when i was running the yj I had35" tites 3.73 gears and the auto tranny
    I got about 10 mpg on a good day
    but I looked cppl :driving:

• What I was asking is what are people getting in first post. I checked speedo yesterday and am going to run tank dry then fill and write down total gallons, reset trip and see from there. Jeep runs great and stock tank 19.0 gallon.

Why run it dry? Just record your odometer/gps mileage and gallons filled up each time you are at a gas station.

• True. I took it to PA other day and got just over 1/2tank to 130 miles on highway. Around town from full to empty light is around 150ish. It is what it is-lol

• Thats a big difference between your highway and local. I usually do all highway but can get 200-220 out of a tank. Im at around 14mpg average, 35's with 4.56's and a manual. If you get an aftermarket skid try to get one with the dimple. Ive got the rokmen and it allows the tank to keep its dimple on the bottom. Before that I had a dented to hell stock skid and it was only allowing me about 10 gall since it was so pushed in on the bottom.

• If mileage is truly a concern consider using Fuelly to track your mileage. I'm pretty anal about tracking it in my commuter given the number of miles I stack on it in a year and needing to keep running totals for taxes. You'll get a more accurate picture after a series of fillups given that most pumps cutoff at different times, sometimes you top off more than other times, etc, etc. Either way you look at it, it ain't gonna be great as it's a brick being pushed through the wind w/ a ton of unsprung weight and a lot of rolling resistance.

--Ian

• If mileage is truly a concern consider using Fuelly to track your mileage. I'm pretty anal about tracking it in my commuter given the number of miles I stack on it in a year and needing to keep running totals for taxes. You'll get a more accurate picture after a series of fillups given that most pumps cutoff at different times, sometimes you top off more than other times, etc, etc. Either way you look at it, it ain't gonna be great as it's a brick being pushed through the wind w/ a ton of unsprung weight and a lot of rolling resistance.

--Ian

not to sound like a paranoid tin-foil hat, but does that constantly track your location?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!