tire opinions (yea, i know...)

• im prob going to throw some new tires on my jeep after i get my tax money back. ill be going to 35's. i currently have 33" trxus mt's on it now. ive been planning on going to the goodyear mtr's. i havent been researching tires much recently and wasnt sure if a new "magic tire" hit the market. any reason to put something else on or is the mtr still the best one out there?
    (i know this is almost a pointless question and will likely get tons of "i have this tire and it didnt get stuck when my friend did" replys, but was just looking to see if there was some new super tire out that i havent come across.)

• There really isn't a magic tire out there, everything has a pro and con... the Kevlar MTRs have (ironically) a lot of weak sidewall complaints. I haven't heard many complaints about the MTZ though, it gets good treadlife if you rotate them regularly. The current "hot" tire in some areas has been the Goodyear Duratrac. It's on the top of my list for new tires for the JK, and it's lighter than the other two tires above (50lb vs 66lb) for your wheel size which will help with gas mileage a little. It's tradeoff is that it doesn't do as well in heavy mud, but will do better almost everywhere else.

Btw, look into Amazon for tires, they might beat out other sources on pricing, especially if you have a Prime account for free shipping. They were $2 more per tire for my 17" wheels than Tirerack, but didn't have the $110 shipping charge.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• :laughing: :laughing: These tire threads always get crazy.

I've heard much good about the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial ...

I run both the MTZ's and MTR Kevlar's. There is no comparison really. The Kevlar's are better in every way.

• I really have liked the kevlar mtr's we've got on Jen's TJ...they have worn decent and seem to do well overall. They're ~40% currently and still hold their own although they've started to get noisier. Much better than the BFG MT's and Trxus that were run prior in every aspect.

• There really isn't a magic tire out there, everything has a pro and con... the Kevlar MTRs have (ironically) a lot of weak sidewall complaints. I haven't heard many complaints about the MTZ though, it gets good treadlife if you rotate them regularly. The current "hot" tire in some areas has been the Goodyear Duratrac. It's on the top of my list for new tires for the JK, and it's lighter than the other two tires above (50lb vs 66lb) for your wheel size which will help with gas mileage a little. It's tradeoff is that it doesn't do as well in heavy mud, but will do better almost everywhere else.

Btw, look into Amazon for tires, they might beat out other sources on pricing, especially if you have a Prime account for free shipping. They were $2 more per tire for my 17" wheels than Tirerack, but didn't have the $110 shipping charge.

I sold my MTR's, too noisy and rode rough. Got Duartrac 33's which ride better and are much quieter. Perfect for sand not so great in mud which I don't care about. Somewhat aggressive look.

• I just put Dick Cepek Mud Country 35x12.5 on my jk. They are surprisingly quiet and all the reviews I've read were extremely positive. I love them so far. What made them even better was they were only $272 each at tirebuyer.com. I can give a better personal review after the Rausch Creek run this weekend.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.  These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives.  All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.  Cannot the kingdom of salvation, take me home.

• im a fan of Nitto terra graplers. had them on my FJCruiser (58k miles and still decent tread left) and have them on my JK with 26k on them and more than half tread. even wear and great traction IMO.

• Ive got the MTR's and the on road is less noise than the KM2's I had but I havent wheeled them yet so no review there. The KM2's I had I absolutley loved and would have bought again if I hadent of caught a deal on the mtr's. The Km2's had great tread life and the sidewalls (for me at least) never gave out despite the giant gashes I had in them from the trails. I had Toyo open countries before the KM2's, my opinion was that they sucked, awfull traction on the trails and BAD tread wear on the road. Although that was when I was running 33's so the smaller tread pattern may have caused less traction? Ive wheeled with alot of guys that ran mtz's and they seemed to puncture more often than any other tire, especially side wall punctures. Ive heard great things about the duratracs but it doesent look that aggresive, Id run it as a street tire though. Good luck with your purchase.

• Go with the MTR-Kevlars. A lot of people run them and they are a good all purpose tire. I run them in 37's and have very little road noise.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!