rotational chirp sound?

• my lj has developed a chirping sound in the front. it happens when coasting, braking, and accel (doesn't matter). read some other posts.... possible axle seals or hub bearings? does this sound right? anyone have any info or had this problem before? who can I get to look at?? Thanks jimmy

• Most common spot is the double cardan unit in the front driveshaft. That's the piece near the transfercase with the two ujoints in it... that assembly either needs grease or replacement. The various axle parts don't usually squeak.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Most common spot is the double cardan unit in the front driveshaft. That's the piece near the transfercase with the two ujoints in it... that assembly either needs grease or replacement. The various axle parts don't usually squeak.

X 2.......been there, done that, mine was so bad it was not rebuildable, long story short, $435.00 for replacement shaft. Sounded like a canary was stuck under there..... :bang:

• I believe there's a grease fitting in there that you should be able to get to with a grease gun. Otherwise check out Aaron (astape). He works on vehicles on the side.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That link shows all grease able parts, but I'd caution against them. Maybe I'm just lazy :) but I'd rather replace it in another 5 or so years than grease it every oil change. That's just me, the guy doing the write-up probably knows better :)

X2.

Unless you run in water or mud frequently good quality sealed parts will last a long time.

• If he dident swap out or rebuild the centering ball then you may run into this issue again in the near future. If you do, I would find a driveshaft shop vs a regular mechanic to rebuild for you. I unfortunatly dont have any recomendations but dont go to C&C truck parts in Horsham. They are rip off artists.

• If he dident swap out or rebuild the centering ball then you may run into this issue again in the near future. If you do, I would find a driveshaft shop vs a regular mechanic to rebuild for you. I unfortunatly dont have any recomendations but dont go to C&C truck parts in Horsham. They are rip off artists.

Pride in elkton on rt 40 changed the length of my ds. good price, no vibes

• Hey guys, update on angry sparrows, looking for some guidance.. Arron said he could help me out but, I have to get parts, I really have no idea what I have to buy or where locally to buy these parts.. Lookin for ball assembly and 3 joints for front ds. Any idea what these are, please hold my hand and walk me thru this or meet me to buy somewhere local. Thanks jimmy

• Napa stocks all of it. Just tell them your Jeep info and that you need all 3 ujoints (same joint) and the ball assembly for the front driveshaft.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!