steering problem

• I have a 1981 cj7. A few weeks ago I had a problem with the car veering left and right for no reason. Almost uncontrolled. I had someone look at it and said it needed a new steering box? I just got it back and while the problem is not bad it still has a problem?? And now the steering wheel is not lined up properly with the tires. Alignment?

• You need to check the tie rod ends on both the tie rod and the draglink. Park it with the motor off but key on to unlock the steering. Have a buddy rock the wheel left to right while you put your hands on all of the ends. If you feel any slop in a tie rod, replace it. You can do a driveway alignment with a tape measure. Set toe in to about 1/8 of an inch. Once toe is set you can adjust the drag link to recenter the wheel. Make sure the steering column is unlocked when you do this too.

CJ's are also known for their flexi frames. What size tires are you turning. The frame could be cracked around the steering box mounts or with a large tire the frame could be flexing and a steering box brace may be in order.

• Thanks for the tip. The tie rod ends seem fine. Doing the alignment really helped! It does wander a lot which I saw Cj7 are known for. Any tips to help fix that problem?

What is DW?

Thanks again!

• Another CLASSIC problem with CJs is that the steering box brackets crack. The steering box will then not be anchored to the frame and it will move all around as you try turn the steering wheel.

I bet this is also a problem. Two popular after market brackets are made by M.O.R.E. and Big Daddy. I have the Big Daddy one. Very good upgrade.

Also, don't ignore worn TREs. I had one snap on me as I was in a turn at 25 mph. Fortunately no one was in the intersection I skidded through. Scared the crap out of me.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ive got the more box brace on my tj. You can actually feel a slight difference after install so Im sure its much better for the longevity of your mounting points.
    Death wobble is when you get a violent shake in your front axle wich feels as if your wheels are turning back and forth. Its caused by worn or incorrect front suspension/steering components/setup and isnt always a straight forward fix hunting down the problem. It will generally start as a shimmy in your wheel. If you get it you will know, hence death wobble.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!