Thinking about lifting my 1981 cj7

• I am thinking about lifting my 1981 cj7. I have no idea how to do this myself. I am not handy with tools at all....any recommendations on a 2 inch lift or more? Any recommendation on a mechanic in north wilmington that does this type of work ?

Thanks

• One of our club members "astape" does installs and custom work in his free time, for reasonable prices...

Lift choice depends a lot on what your intentions are for the Jeep... rock crawling, beach, or just looks. Then what size tires you want... that'll determine the lift height. I'm a big fan of Rubicon Express lifts, but they tend to be a bit taller, designed for very heavy Jeeps. Black Diamond and Superlift were both good choices for CJ/YJ lifts back when I was at Quadratec.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Drive shafts will have to be lengthened.

Did you install 1 piece axles on the AMC20 rear yet?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• More than likely. You typically only have 3" of play between compression and extension.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• More than likely. You typically only have 3" of play between compression and extension.

I doubt that he'll need new driveshafts....my '82 had stock driveshafts with a 4" superlift and never had issues. Had close to 100K on that setup before I got rid of it. :shrug:

• i basically want to lift my jeep to fit 33 inch or 36 inch X 12.5 without rubbing...
    i really just want to purchase the tires and the lift kit and im not sure how much lift i will need and wanna know if that is possible without having to make any other major adjustments.

any advice and information would be appreciated

• My 81 cj7 is a 4cylinder and not sure if that makes much of a difference or not?

A 4 banger with 36's?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That is why I am asking questions in this forum. I am unsure and figured I would ask my fellow members who are very well educated on jeeps.
    Would 33s be a bad option as well on a 4cyl?
    Thanks

• I just think it will be doggish. One question we get on here from time to time is about swapping a 4.0L in to replace a 4 cylinder.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• U will feel it power wise with either a 33 or 36 tire. 33 would be less stressfull on the drivetrain. To make the drivetrain happy you would have to have the gears changed. Looking at 500-750 in parts and 300-600 labor depending on who does it. Hth.

Aaron

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!