New exhaust

• Im thinking of getting an exhaust for my 2013 JKU

No real need other than I want some sound :)

I'd like to stay below $300 and haven't decided if I want a single or a double pipe.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2013 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door (JKU)*SOLD*
    2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    DE tag : OIF 118
    Honk if you see me!

• plan on paying double for a duel set up. Triple for true duels. A single set up (one pipe out the rear) will run about 225. Fake duels will run about 375 to 395 and true duels is around 6 to 800 and depends on which grade pipe you go with. If you surf, wheel, or a lot of local quick drives with the jeep you will want to go with stainless pipe. Most local shops use the 401 or something like that. It is ok. Problem is you are paying for the 301 grade stuff you can mail order.

Personally I would go with just a muffler with a single out. Do not change the factory pipe. It is stainless. Just tell them you want a muffler but want to keep the OEM pipe. Not sure about what sound you are looking for. Youtube isn't a good source as the sound isn't what you would hear in person.

Best thing to do is look and listen around you. Hear a sound you like, ask the driver what it is. Be prepared for a talking to. Folks love to talk about their mods. I would think a Borla sounds good on a jeep. But if you want a flowmaster go with something like a supper 40. 44 is the next one louder then the super 10...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Thanks!

My plan was to just order a cat back setup from company and install my self..but since I've never done it I don't know if a cat back will change the piping your referring to.

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• Why do people insist on posting advice when they don't have a clue?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?c=73

Most parts places use "cat-back" but for a JK, most are actually axle-back installs. There is a factory clamp there, so theoretically there's no cutting (I had to cut the clamp). There are no true duals for a JK, and no need for them. But, there are several muffler options with dual tips. I'd stay away from the "aluminized" stuff, but otherwise stainless is fine. You just may need to replace the tips on the cheaper kits.

I went with the Magnaflow rockcrawler kit because I needed room for an air tank. I'd probably consider them first for an axle-back kit after seeing their quality. But, Gibson, Borla and Banks are also top brands. For duals and $300, you're probably stuck with Dynomax... not horrible, but expect to need new tips after a year or two. I never sold an aFe kit or seen one in person so can't comment, sorry.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Love the exhaust suggestions pictures haha

And thanks for the info whatevah, I was actually going to ask next what was the difference in an axel back and cat back but you already covered that

Now the next part..when you (or really any one who has) was it worth it?
    As in was the sound improved or does it sound line a walmart special...did you see any improvement or all placebo affect?

I already have an intake and really only did that because it was a sweet deal and I liked the sound whole accelerating :)

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

• Just one thing to add, a cat-back kit will be a little louder since it removes the resonator there (after the clamp).

I actually wanted the quietest setup I could, I was only doing the swap to make room for the air tank. With 4000+ highway miles for this trip, I didn't want anything loud. :) The magnaflow kit was the best for that, but it would be better if I had room to reinstall the mini resonator (4drs have room, 2doors don't). At first I thought it was too loud and ricey under acceleration. But, it seemed to mellow out after a few hundred highway miles. It could be Stockholm Syndrome, but I like it now. The sound part is entirely subjective, though! There are a lot of YouTube clips out there to help

On the power/mileage topic, I haven't seen an appreciable change. Theoretically, intake and exhaust kits only help at medium-full throttle, but I had customers who said that they saw improvements. I get lousy mileage with my Rubi... mud tires and 3.73 gears give me 12-13mpg around town. But, for this trip, I'm getting the same mileage as last year, 18-19mpg at 70mph. I have slightly taller tires (33.3 vs 32.1) than last year and a tuner, though so it's hard to say. The butt-dyno says there is more power, though. ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Ha! But dyno haha

That's for the intel. I'll keep at the search. It's still in the baby stages so there's no rush for me

2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
    Honk if you see me!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!