rear diff noise

• I have an occasional clicking noise in my rear diff that is not the normal Lock-rite ratcheting while turning, but is similar, and seems to be happening while driving in a straight line on a rough road. I've attempted to dip the diff with a magnet and found no metal, pulled the passenger rear wheel and checked the drum brake stuff and pulled the axle (old style D-35 non c-clip) to check the splines and to look for metal fragments. I haven't had time to pull the diff cover, and was looking for some opinions before I got into it. I may have to see if Aaron has any evenings available and make the trip to Wilmington.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I dont have any helpfull advice aside from Id pull the cover and inspect the gears. The only time ive ever had a clicking from the rear gear going in a straight line was a result of broken ring gear teeth or a broken cross shaft pin. Both of those you could actually feel rather than just hear so hopefully yours is unrelated.

• Thanks for all the input. I check and grease the u-joints (and everything else) before every ride, but I realized that I hadn't changed them in probably 8 years so, yes, I'm gonna replace them and see what happens. It doesn't sound like a suspension or body noise, but I haven't ruled out that possibility.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I've had loud noises as well, usually when I just start moving. It's not the u-joints. I recently dropped the t-case for another issue and found that my rear driveshaft splines were seized. Haven't driven it yet since putting it back together but I'm thinking that was the cause of my noise.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!