Play in 231 tailshaft

• I have a SYE of unknown origin and there seems to be an excessive amount of play in the tail shaft/output shaft. What would be the cause of this and what do I need to replace? Lastly, if it is some output shaft bearing where would I get that?

• Si apparently no one has ever had an output bearing fail or no one cares enough to respond. Go those of you that May have an interest in this topic, I disassembled the tail housing and determined that the output nearing has failed. I ordered a stock replacement bearing and I am hoping that it will fix the issue.

• So, nobody has experienced the same problem, and you're upset about it? Would you have rather had a bunch of "nope, not me!" replies? There aren't as many YJs around as there used to be... Check the seals when you have it apart to make sure it keeps enough fluid to protect the bearings.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Pretty sure the stock bearing is not gonna be the correct one. Unless its a hack and tap style sye. All the sye's currently on the market should use the same size bearing so u should be able to get the bearing number from advanced adaptors or alike. The reason its not the same as a stock bearing is the manshaft diameter is increased. Can u read the number on the old bearing?

• Since you know it's the bearing now... if you can't see the number on the bearing, I'll be into mine either later today after work or early Saturday morning to replace the speedo gear. Since I have to remove the tailshaft, I'll see if I can see the stamped number on the bearing and get that info to ya. I have a PORC SYE but if Aaron's correct and they're universal then hopefully it'll be the same on mine.

Edit: I like orange better than black. Bling it out!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Aaron your are correct, the stock bearing is not the same. I have a spare case with a SYE and I took that one apart before I started to disassemble the one in the jeep. I ordered a stock bearing thinking it would fit bur the stock bearing is much smaller. I ordered another bearing that is advertised as a SYE bearing and I hope it will be the correct size. I am also assuming that most of the kits use a similar bearing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!