Need a favor

• If I go to look at a Cherokee to buy.....would anyone be willing to go with me to look it over. As I have stated before, I do not know much about them so if someone could come with me that knows them, I would feel more comfortable. There is one that has caught my eye but I am making settlement on a house Feb 15th and can not take any money from my account until after. Hopefully it will not sell before then.

• You can't expect someone to commit with little information. How about where, when other than after a random day 3 weeks from now and also what are you looking at?

My original post answers most questions
    What am I looking at- Cherokee
    Where- Well I live in North Wilmington so close to there. Regardless I would drive and pick someone up and drop off.
    Not expecting anyone to commit to anything, just asking if someone that knows Cherokees would be willing to look at one with me when I find one<--this is called a feeler not a specific commitment. Either way I would work around their schedule because they are helping me out. After reading all the post here it seemed like a good group that helps each other out. Just figured if someone was local to me, and had some spare time, if they wouldn't mind taking a ride and checking one out with me. Thats it. geez

• Assuming you're talking about the XJ and not one of the Grand Cherokees, I can help out. I'm off every other weekend and random weekdays. For the most part, just look for the typical older vehicle issues (belts, joints, A/C, steering, etc). Signs of maintenance, working electronics (power doors, locks), worn out door hinges, rust in floorboard (especially the back seats over the exhaust)... The 4.0 motor lasts forever if it's given an oil change regularly (with the exception of the 2000 and 2001 models, the heads can crack). The automatic trans (AW4) is a beast if the fluid is clean. I'd say a 1991 at minimum and preferably a 97-99 for better interior.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Only help I can give ya would be to suggest that you do a crap ton of research on common issues regarding Cherokees to know what to look for when shopping. There's a few XJ guys here such as Jerry who can edgyoomacate ya on the in's and out's and what to expect to find and where to look for it. Good luck with the hunt!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Assuming you're talking about the XJ and not one of the Grand Cherokees, I can help out. I'm off every other weekend and random weekdays. For the most part, just look for the typical older vehicle issues (belts, joints, A/C, steering, etc). Signs of maintenance, working electronics (power doors, locks), worn out door hinges, rust in floorboard (especially the back seats over the exhaust)... The 4.0 motor lasts forever if it's given an oil change regularly (with the exception of the 2000 and 2001 models, the heads can crack). The automatic trans (AW4) is a beast if the fluid is clean. I'd say a 1991 at minimum and preferably a 97-99 for better interior.

Good info. Definitely not a Grand Cherokee. The one I had my eye on is a 01 that was well taken care of, but might rethink it now I know of the head issue. This is why I wouldn't mind having someone with me because they know what to look for. To point out major (stay away from) issues compared to minor (no big deal) issues. Thanks, and if I come across something I will Pm you to see if you might be able to take a look at one with me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!