Changing tail lights on TJ

• Hey all. I am currently looking into changing the stock tail lights to 4" round led on my 06. Has anyone or do u know someone that has done it? I had the light off doing some research. It looks like there isn't enough room depth wise. Inner body framing may be in the way. Any thoughts?? Thanks

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• A few folks here have converted to the truck-style round tail lights... For a while, the LiteDOT from ORO was in vogue, it's still pretty cool, I think. http://www.quadratec.com/products/13107_400.htm

The downside with those, is that they aren't DOT legal and might fail inspection. Personally, I'd rather get a set from Eastern Marine and do it myself... There's a pretty good how-to from Stu-Offroad you can follow, including a word on moving the Evap canister out of the way for the 03-06 models. http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-1.htm

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• It's pretty easy to do. I used the standard round trailer lights because they were cheaper than the ORO's and they sat more flush.

The benefit of just buying the ORO kit is that they have a back-up light included in the light and come with an electronic flasher.
    (I had to had my own LED back-up lights and get a flasher from NAPA.)

The light hole is easier to drill with a 4" hole saw but but I assume you could do it carefully with a small sawzall. I noticed the ORO's don't require drilling though.

It took me about an hour and a half to get everything wired and installed.

• I did it a few years back with a sawzaw and a dremell. I did a horrible job but the grommets cover my handy work. Then I did my fronts with a hole saw when I went to flat fenders. Way easier. The wiring is pretty easy if you don't do led's because it all works without resistors or electrical mods.

• make sure the lense of the lights u get r reflective and get a 2" side marker. U need a min of 3 sq-in of reflector on the side per dmv. Once a prick at the lane pointed that out to me. If they r not reflective they can fail u or u can buy stick on reflectors every 2 years.

• Thats just what I did. I bought lights from eastern marine last week. I didn't like the look of the others that I've seen on the interweb. I am also doing 2" clear led for back up. As far as the side marker/reflector, didn't give that any thought. Thanks for the heads up, undecided what route to take on that one. Will let u know. Thanks for all the info and the links guys, it will come in handy. This is the look I'm after.

• Afternoon!! I have the ORO lights installed on my 03 Rubicon and i love them. I have had them for about 8 years. It takes about 30 minutes to install them, and you will also need an LED flasher relay which is about 16 bucks. Like someone said before reflectors are needed for the the side and back in order to pass DE inspection. The lights have 3 LED lights on the side but the DMV said they are not bright enough.
    PM me if you have anymore questions

• Thanks for the info and cool pics, looks good. I started the mod yesterday. I will be posting pics here soon.

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• ok guys. I'm at a loss. I have changed the led lights and also changed the flasher. Now I have no turn signals or hazards. Nothing!!! Can someone lend me their knowledge if anyone has stumbled across this before. Fuse is good, new flasher and led lights. Only thing I haven't installed is the reverse and side marker light.

• Did that... Nothing. Even checked my wiring at the lights. Wait, when I turn on and off the hazard lights furiously, I get a tiny bit of flicker in the lights. I mean it's very little. Like it's back feeding. Switch? Could it have surged at some point when I was testing/wiring them?

• I have a good ground, clearance and brake lights work fine, which is leading me to the switch. I don't know...... Replacing switch today. We will see if that cures it

:censored:

• Long story short??? Do u know what MFSW means in the fuse box under the hood?

• Exactly. That was my problem. It's the little things. Works great. Not done yet. Still have reverse and side marker to go. Here it is so far.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!