Emissions Help

• Kiss my butt, DMV!!!

How does a supervisor pass my headlights the first go round, it's not an issue the next 3 times, yet THE SAME SUPERVISOR fails my headlights today!?!?! I am livid! It's not even a point of inspection yet the inspector decided to make it one! I made 3 sups come out yet they just glanced at them and said, "Yeah, we THINK they're illegal!" Not measuring or even a half-hearted glance!

BUT, I did pass emissions finally!! Combo punch was: timing set to 14* btdc, air filter removed, PCV line plugged, bottle of rubbing alcohol added to tank, and of course Andy's diagnosis and repair to the carb!

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• What do they think is illegal about them?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well, even though they have a low/high beam, they aren't very well focused beams. I do have the hot spot (such as it is) adjusted lower than what DMV specs are required. Did they check to see if my lows were <100' of my highs <350'? .... oh no, they're expertly trained eyes could tell that in broad daylight w/o the assistance of any measuring devices. Mr. Inspector stated that any DOT stamping isn't a discernable legalization b/c different states have different laws. Uh, hey moron.. that DOT certification is a FEDERAL certification! Gah!! Then Mr. Inspector starts talking about the stick on reflectors on the hood saying, "Some bosses won't pass them." So I told him to find and show me the code that states where the side markers and reflectors must be one combined unit. That shut him up about that. He started doing a walk around and I said, "What are you doing? I'm here for a re-inspection for EMISSIONS... I have already passed the safety items!" He just nonchalantly walked back over to the computer and finished up the paperwork. Power-tripping jackass! I was livid, and still am! I fell like going over there at 7:55pm tonight and telling them I want a full inspection completed just to MAKE them stay longer than they're suposed to!! </rant>

For anyone interested: http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c043/sc02/index.shtml

• Does Sharpie count? :saint: No, I'm pretty sure they do not but the DOT legality was a question that I posed to him asking how he "knew" they were illegal just upon his general knowledge of all things headlight related. Just becasue he couldn't necessarily see a DOT stamping, didn't mean the stamp wasn't there. I was more upset that he decided that he'd just go ahead and start conducting a safety inspection that I had already passed... like the first 4 inspectors didn't know what they were doing. I was solely there for an Emissions Test Only! It's not like the previous 3 re-inspections and the subsequent paperwork that I handed to him had no bearing on that matter. I was pissed, he knew it, I didn't bother to hide it in my responses to him so he knew he had the advantage.

Then to have the same supervisor who passed the same headlights previously, turn around and rescind that approval w/o any good cause was ridiculous. They have a set of rules and guidleines they are supposed to follow in regards to safety and emissions. Not their "expert" opinion of the matter. I bet half of them can't change a tire or install a freaking wiper blade.

I was soooooooooooooo freaking happy when I saw the emissions computer results and the PASS status. Then this Mo decided he needed to piss in my Cheerios! :idiot:

• Dude, those lights won't pass inspection in any state. You should be happy they missed it before, not upset they noticed it this time.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• During the very first inspection, they didn't miss it, they passed it after I had asked for a supervisor to check them. The fact that they won't pass them isn't what I'm upset about. It's the fact that they should have been a non-issue during yesterday's inspection. It was the fact that the SAME supervisor who gave the previous approval decided it wasn't kosher the 2nd time around.. scratch that, the 5th time around (NC, NC, Wilm, NC, NC). It's not like I had been jumping around DMVs hoping for the best. The supervisor yesterday knew my vehicle and said she remembered me coming through more than once. She even remembered that she told me the headlights needed "a little adjusting" but that my light bar needed covering and I couldn't pass w/ the way it was. YET, she still went back on her previous decision yesterday. That's why I'm not a happy camper.

A re-inspection is for them to only check what you failed for during the previous inspection(s). That is why they list the fail points on the inspection sheet. That has always been the case but they chose to ignore that fact yesterday. Sure, nobody wants to go back to DMV but seeing as I've been there 5x during the last month or so, it's kind of a normalcy for me at this point. The headlights are an easy 10 min swap and I'm good for another 2 years. Emissions was the hard part but thank God that's done.

I haven't had any issues with them or with other drivers while using them. I can not accept that they are any kind of an issue when they've been installed for months now and not one single driver on the road has flashed their highbeams at me or even adjusted their rearview mirror. I've seen stock vehicles like Audis, Fords, etc. that have LED lights that are brighter than mine. Hell, when I had the Kia, we got flashed all the time from oncoming traffic and they were stock HIDs set at factory height! I've driven in the rain and fog and not had any issues with them. Like I mentioned on Facebook, I do like these LED lights a lot. The only issue that I have is that they don't seem to throw enough strong light as far as I'd like to see. I will end up swapping them out for good once I do some more looking into those Truck-Lites... but dang they are expensive!! 8|

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!