Comanche transfer case problem UPDATE: IMAGE POSTED

• Ok so I'm not around the jeep and all I have is a picture to go off of. I'm hoping someone on here can look at this and tell what has happened.
    All I know is it's an 89 Comanche and in this photo you can see that the front driveshaft is coming out of the transfer case.
    Can anyone tell from this picture what went wrong

• Looks like the snap ring that retains the front out bearing has popped out or more likely the case has broken and it has allowed the seal,bearing and shaft to exit the case. When the front drive shaft slip section seizes up it can cause the case to crack because it cant compensate for the suspension travel. I have a couple np231 parts cases if u need parts but u might beable to find a good case pretty cheap. I would not drive the jeep because it will loose oil and roast the rest of the case.

Aaron

• u might beable to get it apart and rehab it. If not it should be the same as any xj front shaft.

• May be time to upgrade to a transfer case thar does not have a slip yyoke

That year MJ should use the NP231, which uses a fixed output shaft. @astape mentioned that the problem could be in the driveshaft splines seizing up and not allowing the flex, so it ripped it out of the transfercase. A likely scenario, sadly. If it was a slip-yoke output shaft, it likely would not have seized up since it would be lubricated by the oil. Of course, front slip-yokes are a bad idea for most Jeeps due to the suspension travel and off-center pumpkin.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• possibly a problem with a joint or cv centering ball. May also just be a snap ring that poped out because not installed correctly on a previous repair. If u pull the case i can check it out 4 u if u need help and like i said i have an case half if u need it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!