New Fourm usage decline ?

• OK, just throwing this out there, just a gut feeling , it feels like there is less activity on the board now since the new forum upgrade. Anyway to verify this?

Just curious...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I still have the old forum up in an archive folder. Sadly, the average daily postcount is about the same. I suggest that we all "like" posts and occasionally tag people ( @deadfeat ) to keep people involved. Plus... just post more. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Even though I'm a 'guest', I'll help out a little bit. I did belong to this club years ago, but couldn't commit much time, or go to meetings much; but of as late, got the urge to haunt jeep forums again. That's because I bought a 2012 JK 2-door about 2 months ago, so of course I gots to read up on it!! My old YJ has 230--- miles on it, so time for a 'new' one. Quite a difference, if I may say so! Hey, do I get a 'Senior Discout' or anything if I 'join the club'? I'm close to signing up for Medicare. Don't laugh, it'll happen you also -if your lucky!
    -Simon

• I'm going to be honest and I am sure I am not going to make many friends saying this. When I first came to this site I was looking for a Jeep and was asking for help in selecting one and even went so far as to ask if anyone would go with me to look at one because I did not know what I was looking at. I got about 2 people that were willing to give advice and the one that stood up and helped me the most was Jerry. He even came to my house when I got one and we went over a bunch of stuff. NOW the rest of the people who responded to me were down right cranky and nasty saying that I had some nerve asking for someone to go with me and did I expect people to just drop what they are doing and come to help me. Well, no I don't; I would have worked around their schedule. If I wanna hear a bunch of crap I can talk to my wife. I stopped posting here.

I joined Southern Delaware Jeep Club who welcomed me with open arms. Everyone helps everyone out. They get club discounts everywhere. If you post a question to their Facebook page there is multiple responses within minutes. They have wrenching parties where everyone gets together to work on a member, or multiple members Jeeps. I am looking forward to participating in a wrenching party to learn more about Jeeps and I have offered my garage and lift to members if they need it. People helping people. Everybody is friendly and everyone respects each other.

My 2 cents

• brihvac, Yikes, So sorry you got off on the wrong foot. Really a great bunch of folks here. I looked back at the thread, not sure it was really that harsh. One messages that picked out the a lack of some specifics. Perhaps it could have been better said. (Unless there were private messages too)
    I've been on message boards for over 25 years, and have learned to always give a person the benefit of the doubt around their intentions , or have some grace , because they may have just had a bad day or are aggravated over something else. I've seen so many flame wars that were unnecessary. Reading posts , its very easy to infer something that was not intended as well as say things we would not to someones face. That said, we are all kinds of people here from 15-70 , from many backgrounds and walks of life with one binding interest, can't expect perfect harmony.

Need a favor

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I think Steve summed it all up in his post. Never saw anyone be disrespectful here and the members help each other out whenever or however they can. As far as the facebook gig this club had this forum way before facebook and most Q and A is done here not on the facebook page probably out of nothing more than habit. If it were the other way around such as SDJC which was practically built through FB we would probably be much more active on FB as they are. If you have an issue whatever it may be post it up, if you don't want to go public than send the BOD a message I'm sure you'll get a timely response. As far as wrenching parties can present serious issues that I wont go into now but feel free to pm me if you really want my opinion on this subject.
    Anyway glad to see Jerry helped you out, he is a walking book of knowledge

• I think Steve summed it all up in his post. Never saw anyone be disrespectful here and the members help each other out whenever or however they can. As far as the facebook gig this club had this forum way before facebook and most Q and A is done here not on the facebook page probably out of nothing more than habit. If it were the other way around such as SDJC which was practically built through FB we would probably be much more active on FB as they are. If you have an issue whatever it may be post it up, if you don't want to go public than send the BOD a message I'm sure you'll get a timely response. As far as wrenching parties can present serious issues that I wont go into now but feel free to pm me if you really want my opinion on this subject.
    Anyway glad to see Jerry helped you out, he is a walking book of knowledge

I think more of an issue was because I was new and it was looked at by the gool ol boys club as "look at this guy" <<My opinion of course. There were a few Pm's and I am surprised I was not reported for my responses to them. I am pretty thick skinned but I do not tolerate bully's so I nip it in the bud when I feel it starts to happen like in the pm's. I'm over it. All is good now. Just wanted to share my opinion to the OP why I think the forum has gone stale. Would be interested in your opinion on wrenching parties but I can not find where I sent a PM now. LOL

• i feel like the posts have been down for a while, maybe a year or two. I think it is because a large chunk of the members/guests were all making steady progress modifying their rigs for years, and finally got "over the hump" where now its just tweaks here or there. the jeep talk and modification forums used to be full of stuff all the time and now not as much content in there. this isn't really a bad thing as it indicates the group's jeeps have matured. it opens those forums up to new users to get a bit more attention with noob questions.

as far as the new forum, I don't like computers and change with computers, and I when the change happened, I hated it. i was really disappointed. that being said, as i have forced myself to work with it, i really like it now and like it better than the old one.

as far as being rude to new people, ive hosted a wrenching party to install a lift for a new member and it was a blast. i know other people have done these too. i have always received all the help i needed with the DEJA community when ive asked. i know everyone gets a bit of a different experience, but i am a happy member and will keep using this forum.

also, please don't change it to a FB based group, please.

• Liking a post is like giving out participation trophies.

All this seems silly.

^ What he said.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I like the ability to "LIKE" a post instead of having to reply, "Yeah", "WORD", or "I agree".

Participation trophies? Let's not get into something that will lead to billions of nonsense posts fabricated to drive up a post count.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The new forum in intentionally similar to facebook (liking posts, tagging people, attaching images) since people are used to that level of functionality. The decline in forum usage started a long, long time ago. We peaked in 2007 with over 40k posts that year, 30k in 2010, 19k in 2013, 11k last year and we had 6,400 as of August this year. There's a lot of contributing factors but part of it is an overall decline in online forums in general. It's an older form of social media which now competes with facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc. Frankly, I think the registration process for a forum is a turn off for some people who aren't used to that and expect everything integrated with their facebook logins. It's a separate place to check. I don't want to get all 'kids get off my lawn' but I remember the BBS days back in the early-mid 90s. Things change over time. I check FB pretty regularly (obsessively?) but might fire up DEJA once, maybe twice a day and sometimes not for days. Clicking 'like' on a group and getting everything thrown into your news feed is arguably an easier way to communicate. That being said, there's no plans on changing DEJA to a facebook group.

@brihvac Sorry to hear about that but I do appreciate the honesty. I also went back and re-read the thread and I don't think the person was trying to be rude but that's probably only because I know him in person and can read his personality into the comment. Hope to have a beer with you at a DEJA event one of these days soon.

I've been saying for years we need to do a better job of making new members feel welcome and I will continue to say that. Too often we have people come out to their first meeting, hardly anyone talks to them because we're busy talking with the people we already know and then they never come back. We have to fix that.

• Just a note about face book- I might be the only person on face earth that don't use it- tried it once, and everyone I never wanted to talk too came out of the woodwork (old GF ex wife somebody thinks I owe money to)...took me about 30 seconds to cancel - guess I aint that social :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!