Looking for opinions on pricing

• I'm currently in South Carolina at school and I need some work on my 02 TJ. My idler pully went on me and as a result my radiator went. The local shop down here that a lot of the student go to told me it would be $565 total for the pully, radiator, and coolant flush. Good deal? Bad deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Initaially my thoughts are that the bulk cost of that is going to be labor which is what is driving the price up that high. If you have a free Saturday, source the parts and swap them in yourself. Should be an easy day of work with common hand tools. Without looking at any parts prices, I'd hazard a guess that you could reduce that price point in 1/2 or better.

Do you know for sure if it is the radiator that is shot? I'm trying to rationalize how your idler pulley would destroy your radiator. Unless it popped off and shot into the face of the radiator...curious! ?( Regardless, if you are having to replace your radiator, I'd suggest replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat and possibly the water pump as well if they haven't been addressed lately. Your going to have the system drained already so no sense of having to do it again at a later date if any one of those fails. Just good, cheap peace of mind stuff to do while you're already in there.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• from the shops perspective.
    $150 rad
    $30 belt
    $15 pully
    $50 fluid and disposal

Book labor for the job is probably 3hr @ $100 per hr

I would say that its a fair price if u cant do the work yourself.

• Initaially my thoughts are that the bulk cost of that is going to be labor which is what is driving the price up that high. If you have a free Saturday, source the parts and swap them in yourself. Should be an easy day of work with common hand tools. Without looking at any parts prices, I'd hazard a guess that you could reduce that price point in 1/2 or better.

Do you know for sure if it is the radiator that is shot? I'm trying to rationalize how your idler pulley would destroy your radiator. Unless it popped off and shot into the face of the radiator...curious! ?( Regardless, if you are having to replace your radiator, I'd suggest replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat and possibly the water pump as well if they haven't been addressed lately. Your going to have the system drained already so no sense of having to do it again at a later date if any one of those fails. Just good, cheap peace of mind stuff to do while you're already in there.

I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but the thought process is that my idler pully locked up. When I had the problem initially I lost power steering and my check gauges were flashing, but all my gauges looked fine. I pulled into a neighborhood, turned it off, went to crank it up again and the radiator blew on me. The radiator was cracked from the cap all the way to the hose. The idler pully had been rotated out of the engine block (I assume from trying to start the jeep again) and the pressure build up caused my radiator to go. I understand I might be, or probably am wrong, but that's just my initial assumption. Pic of the radiator here

• Jeezaloo! 8o 8o 8o I'm no expert either but I think you are definitely on to something!! I have never personally seen a failure like that before on a radiator. From what you describe, I don't think your idler pulley would be the main suspect, although it has clearly been a victim if it is detached from the block. The idler only puts tension on the serpentine belt in order for it to effectively turn the pulleys on the other accessories (ie. alternator, power steering pump, etc.). I would guess maybe one of the pulleys seized up on you and the resulting detachment of the belt somehow wrecked your idler pulley. I would look at your water pump, alternator, power steering pump and try to see if you can turn the pulley wheel on them freely. If any of them are seized, you'll know it immediately. I'm guessing that there was probably a horrific banshee type squealing before the radiator blew? Also I think I would be correct in assuming that your radiator cap failed big time as it failed to release the pressure before it cracked the radiator. I would guess that your thermostat wasn't opening and casuing the build up of pressure in the cooling system... that or the radiator was clogged shut. Was the Jeep running hot before the breakdown?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Jeezaloo! 8o 8o 8o I'm no expert either but I think you are definitely on to something!! I have never personally seen a failure like that before on a radiator. From what you describe, I don't think your idler pulley would be the main suspect, although it has clearly been a victim if it is detached from the block. The idler only puts tension on the serpentine belt in order for it to effectively turn the pulleys on the other accessories (ie. alternator, power steering pump, etc.). I would guess maybe one of the pulleys seized up on you and the resulting detachment of the belt somehow wrecked your idler pulley. I would look at your water pump, alternator, power steering pump and try to see if you can turn the pulley wheel on them freely. If any of them are seized, you'll know it immediately. I'm guessing that there was probably a horrific banshee type squealing before the radiator blew? Also I think I would be correct in assuming that your radiator cap failed big time as it failed to release the pressure before it cracked the radiator. I would guess that your thermostat wasn't opening and casuing the build up of pressure in the cooling system... that or the radiator was clogged shut. Was the Jeep running hot before the breakdown?

The jeep did have a squeal, assumed it was nothing too major. The temp gauge was normal so I don't know if the temp gauge is bad or what

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!