Transmission life

• Was wondering what the life expectancy of my 97 TJ's transmission is. Someone was telling me my clutch is going because there is so much travel in it. Got me thinking of how long the trans itself should last. I dont know if anything was ever done to it in its 172K miles. Believe it is an AX5. If I get a clutch put in ($650) was wondering if I should get the trans rebuilt too. Jeep is in great shape so I plan on keeping it as long as possible.

• as long as u put the correct fluid in it the trans itself should be fine. it uses an ultralow sulfer fluid like syncromesh. also probably no need to even change the fluid, they dont get hot enough to wear it out.

• If I get a clutch put in ($650)

A clutch kit should be under $150. The job is doable in a driveway with a few jack stands and some basic tools. Even if you buy some tools, your are still ahead of the game. If not , shop around, you should be able to save a few dollars. There are a few guys that do work on the board here.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Someone was telling me my clutch is going because there is so much travel in it. ... If I get a clutch put in ($650) was wondering if I should get the trans rebuilt too.

A clutch wears high. What I mean by that is, the more the clutch wears out the less you have to press the clutch pedal in. If you have to press the pedal in a lot (has a lot of travel) then it's a mechanical issue with the clutch linkage mechanism; you probably have a hydraulic clutch so it would be with that. CJs have linkages (bell crank) and a push rod that wear out and need replaced occasionally.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My 99 ax5 has 277k with no problems... I replaced the clutch when I put a new engine in at 215k it still looked new in comparison to the new clutch, I had to replace the clutch again at 270 due to the cheap plastic throw out bearing exploding...
    I did the job myself in my garage with basic hand tools in 4hrs...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• A clutch kit should be under $150. The job is doable in a driveway with a few jack stands and some basic tools. Even if you buy some tools, your are still ahead of the game. If not , shop around, you should be able to save a few dollars. There are a few guys that do work on the board here.

I have plenty of tools and a lift in my garage. However, I have never done one before so I know nothing about it, or where to start, which is why I was going to pay someone. Would love to do it for $150 and to have the experience for when I do it again. I had been volunteering my lift to a few people from SDJC that were doing their clutch just so I could watch, and help, for when I had to do mine. But they were too far south and didnt want to drive up. I did shop around for prices and around $600 is what everyone is.

• I have plenty of tools and a lift in my garage. However, I have never done one before so I know nothing about it, or where to start, which is why I was going to pay someone. Would love to do it for $150 and to have the experience for when I do it again....

Watch a few videos, read a few write ups , there is a first time for everything ... on the flip side, it is a PITA, with out some reliable help. Expect a few issues, and incidentals. Seized bolts and other issues can really add up in a shop.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1997+jeep…ler+tj+clutch+replacement

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• All I have for help is my wife. My few friends know 0% about cars. I did watch some videos clips but they left some stuff out like throw out bearings, etc. I was down the beach for a weeks vacation and even donated my time to a garage that does mostly Jeep work hoping to get a clutch job but ended up doing motor mounts, valve cover gaskets, and aftermarket bumper installations all week. One came in the last day of the week that needed a clutch but I couldn't stay. Mines still going for now so I will keep my ears open for someone who is doing a clutch and ask to help.

• How did you end up with a lift and not knowing how to replace a clutch? I thought you had to do at least five or ten clutch jobs in the gravel or mud before they would even let you buy one.
    It's not too difficult really, except the rust and fastener problems. A good transmission jack is important because the transfer case and transmission are heavy, greasy, awkward, and about five feet above your toes! It's best to have help even with a jack so that one guy can pull or pry while the other guy stabilizes and makes sure nothing jumps out of whack.
    The worst problem you might have is frame rust. If you search that topic you may be horrified. I personally wouldn't worry about someone telling me I had too much travel in the clutch unless it was either slipping or not disengaging or making loud noises.
    I hope they paid you to apprentice at that shop.

• I have built numerous muscle cars and street rods. All auto's. When I was younger I was not afraid to tear into anything, but as I got older I became more cautious on doing things I know nothing about. However, show me something once and I will never forget it. I had a situation years ago where I caused more damage than good, on a house project, and ended up spending more than double to straighten it out than if I would have paid someone to do it in the first place. I think that made me gun shy on everything that is foreign to me.
    My frame is perfect and I just had the skid plate down to do the Novak 4X4 cable shift and transfer case drop.
    And no they did not pay me anything at the shop, really didn't want anything but Jeep knowledge. However....not even a thank you; but that is an entirely different story that pisses me off every time I think about it because there is even more too it that is totally unbelievable.

• Definitely sounds like there's more to that story. If and when you are ready to do your clutch, I would be more than happy to give you a hand, at least to get started. Just send a pm.
    I think one of the biggest things is the parts should clunk together nicely. If you have to use a bolt to " pull it up" then something is wrong. Back in the day you would save an old input shaft for use as an alignment tool since not everyone had them. Now I think every clutch kit includes a plastic one.

• Definitely sounds like there's more to that story. If and when you are ready to do your clutch, I would be more than happy to give you a hand, at least to get started. Just send a pm.
    I think one of the biggest things is the parts should clunk together nicely. If you have to use a bolt to " pull it up" then something is wrong. Back in the day you would save an old input shaft for use as an alignment tool since not everyone had them. Now I think every clutch kit includes a plastic one.

Count me in. Provide breakfast/lunch and some beverages for Andy and I and we can call it a wrenching party. Send me a pm as well when ur ready. Until then..... :driving:

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• I'm willing to help out, sadly don't know anything about replacing a TJ clutch. But, I can turn a wrench. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• gonna be doing a clutch on a yj which is gonna be real similar to a tj this week. if i figure out when ill try to remember to post up and maybe u can stop by.

• gonna be doing a clutch on a yj which is gonna be real similar to a tj this week. if i figure out when ill try to remember to post up and maybe u can stop by.

Thats cool. You doing it during the day or in the evening after work?

Hey, out of curiosity what do you guys think of this for a clutch? I can get it for $91
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.c…h-set-mu117-1b/19330003-P

I appreciate everyone volunteering to help. I am probably gonna take you guys up on it mostly for an extra set of hands. In the next couple weeks I am gonna bring it back from the beach because I want to put a new water pump, stat, and hoses on seeing mine are original with 172K miles on it. I need to buy a transmission jack.

ALSO: note that my garage is heated and I have a lift, so none of us will be cold, thirsty, hungry, or working on our backs.

Jerry, just sent my membership forms

• I appreciate everyone volunteering to help. I am probably gonna take you guys up on it mostly for an extra set of hands. In the next couple weeks I am gonna bring it back from the beach because I want to put a new water pump, stat, and hoses on seeing mine are original with 172K miles on it. I need to buy a transmission jack.

ALSO: note that my garage is heated and I have a lift, so none of us will be cold, thirsty, hungry, or working on our backs.

Jerry, just sent my membership form

I will be away between Feb 4th thru the 11th and won't be available until Sunday the 12th. Thanks

If you're afraid of struggle, then you're afraid of growth. You have to go through it to get to it. Let it build you, not break you.

• If you get a transmission jack, be careful it's not too high! Sounds crazy, but mine starts out at over four feet, and by the time you get a transmission on it it can be too tall to roll it out from under the vehicle.
    Heated garage is definitely awesome, lets you get all the garage work done in winter to be able to play all summer!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!