Got XJ Alternator Tips?

• Have read a few posts on NAXJA as well as here already.

Seems some have done Durango high output swaps, mean green brand, also increasing wire gauges.

Does anyone here have personal experience with swapping their XJ alt?

Jeep died while driving home from work today, completely dead battery.

When I went to start it I had to "reteach it to idle" or whatever too.

I appreciate any input. Need this thing running again asap. It's my DD.

Preference is direct bolt-in replacement.

• I'm running an alternator from a 97 Dodge Ram. (I have a '93 XJ wiring harness on my 258)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• What sort of aftermarket electronic devices are you running on the XJ? These days most electronics are more efficient than 20 years ago and the OEM alternator couple with a decent battery may be just fine.

I just had an aftermarket alarm and remote start installed at Mobileone two Saturdays ago.

The check gauge and voltage on my cluster were just starting to act up before the install but check gauges has been constantly up the last few days and the voltage was at 0 the whole time.

I don't know how they wired the thing but I think it only accelerated the problem.

I'm running an alternator from a 97 Dodge Ram. (I have a '93 XJ wiring harness on my 258)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What is the output on it? Was it a direct fit no filing or anything?

• I actually swapped my TJ alternator for the 117 amp out of an XJ years ago so it's actually got a pretty decent one. The Durango is 160 which is obviously better but I don't think you "need" it. If they're around the same price go for the Durango but I agree with quadna that an OEM is fine.

You sure it's the alternator and not the battery? Kind of odd that the alarm just went in too. It shouldn't drain much if properly installed.

• What is the output on it? Was it a direct fit no filing or anything?

I think it's 135 or 165. Had to put my own pulley on but the wiring was direct. Its thicker alternator but it bolted up to my bracket fine. There's a floating spacer on the bottom mounting bolt that makes up the difference in thickness.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd suggest that you replace the alt-to-battery cable, even with a stock-spec alternator that should give an improvement given the age of the cable and likely-hood of serious corrosion.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'd suggest that you replace the alt-to-battery cable, even with a stock-spec alternator that should give an improvement given the age of the cable and likely-hood of serious corrosion.

Doesn't corrosion occur only at the terminals, which can be cleaned?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Normally, yes... But water can get inside the cable and corrode it. Typically it starts at either end (faster when the terminal has corrosion), but can be anywhere if the rubber layer is cracked and it's exposed to water. Had to replace the cable on my mom's 2001 Chrysler 300m twice. It was so corroded the second time that it broke off when I changing the battery.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!