Need help with clutch noise after install

• I just finished my clutch job and my TJ is making noise when I press the clutch in. Its quiet when I let it out. I have not driven it just started it in the garage and rolled it slightly in gear. Its a Luk kit with new flywheel. I did not use the throwout bearing that came with the kit; I used a National bearing because it was all steel. The one in the kit has a plastic sleeve. I am assuming it is a throwout issue because I can not see how you can screw up installing the clutch itself on the fly wheel. I cleaned the mating surface good, used the alignment tool, flywheel side is facing flywheel, and torqued the bolts down to 23ftlbs. I am going to take it back apart and check everything as well as change the throwout to the one that came with the kit. Other than that I have no idea what it can be. Here is a video. The noise happens when the clutch is pushed IN and is quiet when it is OUT. Any advice?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Its definitely not in backwards. I triple checked it. I have no problems pulling it but don't want to go in and do something that is not the issue and put it back together and its still like that. Its a Luk clutch and its marked right on the disc "flywheel side"

• Its definitely not in backwards. I triple checked it. I have no problems pulling it but don't want to go in and do something that is not the issue and put it back together and its still like that. Its a Luk clutch and its marked right on the disc "flywheel side"

It sounds rotational so it has to come apart. I'd I spent the throwout. Spin it in your hands to see if it's smooth. Is it a plastic or metal housing throwout? Also look at the disk, pressure plate, and flywheel or cracks/failures. Was the pilot bearing replaced too?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Its the metal throw out. I did not use the one in the Luk kit because it had the plastic sleeve. I bought an all metal throw out. I did install a new pilot into the new flywheel. Everything is brand new. My plan is to take the clutch off and check for the 4th time that its facing the right way, removing the all metal throw out, and installing the throw out with the plastic sleeve that came with the kit. Like I said, I never drove it yet. I just started it in the garage and moved it some in 1st gear.

One more thing I noticed...When I push the clutch in; it seems to bog the motor down a hair then the rpm's would come right back up. It never did that before the clutch change

• That sounds like a linkage or a petal adjustment issue but you probably have a hydraulic clutch.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sounds to me like the new throw out might have a problem.
    And I meant the throw out bearing was backwards because it sounds like it to seized up, not the clutch disc.
    Or it is adjusted so far out that the bearing isn't being pressed firmly against the clutch and it's at the point where it can slip enough to squeal.
    Did it disengage properly and shift easily?

• Pulled the trans and the clutch disc is in the right way, throwout bearing seems smooth. Putting the old clutch next to the new clutch there is a height difference. I do not know if that is an issue seeing the old clutch is not a Luk. If you look at the throwout bearing you can see that the sleeve is not centered. Everything looks good with nothing obviously wrong.

My clutch is hydraulic so there is no pedal adjustment, everything worked fine before the install.
    WILLYN There is only one way to install the throwout bearing it is impossible to install it backwards. It did disengage smoothly and went into gear like butter. I only but it in first and rolled it forward and reverse to go back.

• Did any of the new parts or bell housing show any signs of abrasion / marks ext? Also, odd thought, perhaps the starter was making the noise?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• You could check the crankshaft for endplay. When you depress the clutch it pushes it forward. If the thrust bearing or bearings are worn maybe it pushes far enough forward to hit the starter teeth? Grab the flywheel and push in and out on it.
    The surface on the throw out bearing that contacts the clutch fingers doesn't look scraped at all, which would be expected if the bearing was not working.

• Really need some help

If anyone is in the North Wilmington area that can stop by and help me identify my issue I would really appreciate it. I put it all back together with the new throw out bearing and it is still making noise. I do not know what else to do or what else to change.
    I live right outside Bellefonte

• try driving it a few miles and see if it quiets down. Sorry wish i had time to help u out but im hammered with work before our trip to moab.

• I stopped at Napa to look at their clutches (Luk in a Napa box) and was talking to the guys at the counter and thats what he said because it goes into gear smooth and grabs nice when you let it out.
    I'm not looking for anyone to wrench and get their hands dirty; I just wanted someone to listen to it and say "That sounds like..... or I think its...." just to give me a direction to look. Do you think I could have got a bad clutch? I think my next move is to put the old flywheel back on (with new pilot), and see if that is the issue. I'm out of ideas.

My wife said to take it somewhere. If I do can anyone suggest where?

• I stopped at Napa to look at their clutches (Luk in a Napa box) and was talking to the guys at the counter and thats what he said because it goes into gear smooth and grabs nice when you let it out.
    I'm not looking for anyone to wrench and get their hands dirty; I just wanted someone to listen to it and say "That sounds like..... or I think its...." just to give me a direction to look. Do you think I could have got a bad clutch? I think my next move is to put the old flywheel back on (with new pilot), and see if that is the issue. I'm out of ideas.

My wife said to take it somewhere. If I do can anyone suggest where?

Ifnyou pull it apart again I'd take the parts into the store and see about comparing them to another new one. It sounds like you have the tools and space. Seems like comparing parts is the only real thing to do. Do you have a dial indicator you could put on the block and rotate it by hand to see runout on the flywheel.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• I do not have a dial indicator. I am going to pull everything including the flywheel when I get home. I am going to get a new clutch and I think I am going to hit the old flywheel with some 180 sandpaper on my DA and reinstall it. I will double check the crankshaft for play. I am down to an hour to completely pull the trans. LOL

• I would agree with Aaron at this point, put some miles on it before you give up. It really does sound to me like the clutch fingers scraping on the throw out bearing face. The throw out might be new and tight with fresh grease packed in it, and just needs to be used a few times to loosen up. There's not much it could hurt, considering you are contemplating a new one anyway.
    As far as endplay on the crankshaft being excessive and allowing the flywheel to contact the starter gear, you should be able to see evidence of that in the form of a continuous shiny scrape around the ring gear on the starter side. I once did a clutch on a Toyota pickup and we couldn't get it to work consistently, then after much trying this and that we found you could grab the flywheel and push it front to rear about a half an inch. The engine was then toast.
    I would be happy to come by, but can't make it till Wednesday afternoon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!