Need help with clutch noise after install

• I would agree with Aaron at this point, put some miles on it before you give up. It really does sound to me like the clutch fingers scraping on the throw out bearing face. The throw out might be new and tight with fresh grease packed in it, and just needs to be used a few times to loosen up. There's not much it could hurt, considering you are contemplating a new one anyway.
    As far as endplay on the crankshaft being excessive and allowing the flywheel to contact the starter gear, you should be able to see evidence of that in the form of a continuous shiny scrape around the ring gear on the starter side. I once did a clutch on a Toyota pickup and we couldn't get it to work consistently, then after much trying this and that we found you could grab the flywheel and push it front to rear about a half an inch. The engine was then toast.
    I would be happy to come by, but can't make it till Wednesday afternoon.

You were 100% correct on the end play. However, I do not believe my engine is bad. I also do not have 1/2" of play.
    The new flywheel looks like it is cast different
    (fatter) than the old one where it bolts to the crank. AND I have a fair
    amount of play in the crank (172K miles). So when I was pushing in the
    clutch, it was pushing the new flywheel forward to where it was just
    scraping the block some. I cleaned up the old flywheel, put it on and
    pushed in as hard as I could while turning it and it does not "seem" to
    be hitting. Will know tomorrow when I bolt the trans back up and try it
    out. Hopefully 3rd times a charm.

• Well it sounds like you got that under control. Should work this time. And now that you have all that practice it'll be a lot easier on the next one.
    I've reused many flywheels without proper resurfacing. It has always been a logistical problem of getting the thing to a machine shop and back while the vehicle is on jacks. If you break the glaze with the 180 grit it should be fine.

• Well it sounds like you got that under control. Should work this time. And now that you have all that practice it'll be a lot easier on the next one.
    I've reused many flywheels without proper resurfacing. It has always been a logistical problem of getting the thing to a machine shop and back while the vehicle is on jacks. If you break the glaze with the 180 grit it should be fine.

Thats exactly what I did.

In case I do need to rebuild my motor....who around does a fair job? I can bring them the engine. 1997 2.5 4cyl

• I think most people just replace those four cylinders with a Chevy small block. But I have had nothing but good luck with Aldermans for machine work. If you are adventurous you can replace the thrust bearing with the engine in the vehicle.

• I would love to do a small block but I do not know how that would work with going through Delaware emissions. I have read a article on doing the thrust bearing and mains in the engine without removing it. I would rather pay someone to do it though as I do not have the know how. If there are any mechanics here, or anyone knows a decent mechanic, that would do it let me know. I will pay, of course.

• I think Aldermans will assemble it for you, call them and talk to Paul, he's a great guy.
    Napa used to sell rebuilt long blocks with a warranty even. I used one in a work van and was very happy with it. I'm not sure what DMV does about engine swap, all my stuff is antique. My youngest ride is 46!

• If its obd² and the computer reads no faults then the engine swap would be fine. u may have to get the vin put into the ecm but there r a few companies that can do that.

• Casting on the new flywheel was the issue. Put the old flywheel back on and it is as quiet as a mouse. Took it for a ride and the new clutch feels great, smooth clutch pedal, and no noises. 3rd times a charm
    I can now pull a trans in an hour, and reinstall in an hour and a half; by myself. Hardest part in aligning the input shaft. LOL

• AMS flywheel through quadratec is dirt cheap and i always use them with no issues

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!