YJ Seat Brackets for More Leg Room

• CJ5 owners notch out the rear fender wells so they can move the seats back further.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• There's 2 scenarios that I can figure...

1. Move the entire shebang back several inches... this will probably end up causing issues with having to fab up a new base and may put the seat too far back where you're hitting the main hoop of the roll bar. There's not a whole lot of room behind the front seats as it is and you may run into a lack of good mounting space due to the step up in the tub behind the seats.

2. Add a steel plate between the top of the base and bottom of the seat to push the seat back to where you need it. I did this to adapt my cavalier seats to the YJ bases but my seats are pretty squared to the bases. If you cut the steel a bit longer than what I did, then I'm sure you could get the length needed to push the seat back comfortably. I'm not sure of the physics/dynamics/structurals of how effective that would hold up under extreme forces such as in a crash but I'm guessing about a 3" extended lip off the back of the base wouldn't matter a whole lot if you used a thicker steel.

I'm 6'1" and my adapters work well for where I mounted the seat at even though they no longer adjust front to back. I did have to remove the sliders since they were all gummed up and one of the mounting tabs broke when I was removing them. I do still have the flip forward function on the bases and the seat backs flip forward as well so it works well enough for me getting my kids into the back seat. There is an option to add the sliders back in at some point in the future found HERE. If the seats are stock and y'all will be into it anyways, I'd suggest swapping out the seats too. My Cavalier seats were a whopping $50/pair from the junk yard (and their nice!). If you and your uncle want to see what I did, let me know and we can set up a day/time to meet.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I put Besttop replacement seats in my CJ. I completely eliminated the sliders and drilled new holes in the flanges of the seat bases that let me mount the seats further down and back. My problem was belly room, though, I don't have long legs so I don't know if that would give him enough room.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!