CJ emissions issue

• I went through inspection last night and they failed me for the tank. Guy said there's a leak between the tank and the charcoal canister. This was the first time they've even opened my hood. Talking to Andy this am, he said he doesn't think the system is intended to hold pressure, just for vapor recovery.

CJ guys, did they ever go under your hood? Did they pressurize your tank or just test the cap? If they haven't done it to mine in the last 30 years, I'm going to see if I can find a supervisor at DMV who might know more about it.

• On my old 1973 Chevelle they would pop the hood and pinch the hose at the canister. Then they hooked their test gas cap with a hose on it directly onto my tank to test the pressure. I'm not sure how they can tell if the leak is in the hose and not in your tank but I bet they only put in a couple of psi then see if it holds steady.

• I went through inspection last night and they failed me for the tank. Guy said there's a leak between the tank and the charcoal canister. This was the first time they've even opened my hood. Talking to Andy this am, he said he doesn't think the system is intended to hold pressure, just for vapor recovery.

CJ guys, did they ever go under your hood? Did they pressurize your tank or just test the cap? If they haven't done it to mine in the last 30 years, I'm going to see if I can find a supervisor at DMV who might know more about it.

Yes they've gone under my hood and no, they can't pressurize a CJ tank. Their machine doesn't have the right cap. I've gone through that rodeo before

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I just went thru a few days ago, and failed horribly. They did ask for a charcoal canister and I told them that another DMV inspector had advised me I didnt need it. Slimer is right, they cannot hook to your tank because they don't have the proper cap. They did do a test to my gas cap. It seemed to me that they have tightened up on the rules, or I just picked the wrong lane. They inspector I had seemed new, he had to keep going to other inspectors and asking questions. He didnt know what kind of vehicle I was driving either, he put me in as a Wagoneer (I have a CJ7). They hit me on the markers, I have flush mount in the rear and tube fenders up front. They failed me for both front and rear markers and reflectors, my tires stuck out too far, and my emissions.

• Yeah you do need a carbon canister, side markers, and they are picky about tires sticking out. If they want to be REALLY picky they can measure your body lift and distance between the tire and fender well

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I think the max body lift is 3". I'm not sure about the gap between tire and fender

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!