LED LIGHT Needs wiring and switch(es)

• I'm sure this is a simple question but I could use direction.

I bought a really nice LED LIGHT BAR from craigslist for my 2 door 2014 sport. Brackets are nice and sturdy so it looks real good. However the bar itself has only the two +/- wires coming out and nothing else.
    So i need to wire the jeep and add switch. I was thinking a switch panel on the left side from Quadratec or Amazon would allow future lights or other things. but I'm not sure the best place to look for the wiring, if there's both a wiring and switch kit. or even what kind to get.
    I'd like to avoid cutting into anything so i can remove it all back to stock. ?(
    Thanks for any help

• A decent switch kit should have switch, relay, and wiring. All wiring is not created equal. I have several brand of 4 gauge wire. Monster brand has A LOT more wire and less insulation than no name from China wire that I have. Kinda seems like this day and age (at least no name wire) the wire gauge is the outside diameter and not necessarily the actual wire itself. Name brand (good brand anyway) wiring will tend to have more flexibility both from small more stands of wire and higher quality insulation. Also if you need electrical tape, get good stuff, 3m super 88 is good. I used to use 10 rolls for $5 tape, then I realized how much better (stickiness, flexibility) quality stuff is.

I think you might need special canbus something or other to add stuff to a JK, I am not sure though as I am a CJ guy and have no computer stuff to worry about.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

• Sadly, you generally need to know what you're doing when you're buying lights that aren't in kits. Do the wires have any plugs on the ends, or just bare wire? If it has plugs, maybe you can figure out what brand it is and find a wiring kit.

If not... do you know the Watt or Amp rating of the lightbar? That'll let you know how it needs to be wired. If it's not too high, you can wire it through a switch, otherwise you'll need to use a relay. The Rugged Ridge switches are rated at 20A (240W) max, but I would keep that a bit lower... 15A (180W) would be the most I'd feel comfortable with. For wire size, you want stranded wire (not solid) and 14 gauge is usually good up to 20A. If the bar needs more power than that, 12 gauge wire will do 25A (300W) and 10 gauge will do 30A (360W). I usually get my wire from Eastern Marine in Newark. They also stock a good assortment of connectors and such.

A-pillar panel with switches combo: https://www.quadratec.com/products/97015_0116.htm for those switches, the plug by itself is ground, the middle is power IN, and the last one is power OUT.

I can help you out if you're feeling uneasy about any of the process, I'm not a wiring pro, but I'm better than average. ;)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!