Looking for a local reputable machine shop

• As the title says, I am looking for a local shop to do a complete rebuild of my 4.0. I have checked out most reman companies that are listed online and none of them have any kind of positive customer reviews except for one place in Stevensville MD. I think I would rather keep mine instead of getting stuck with somebody elses junk. southern Chester County, Northern Newcastle or Ceciltucky would work

• I've taken all my machine work to Aldermans for a long time. Paul Alderman runs the shop and has always been easy to deal with. His head Machinist John has been there for a long time, and I've never had a problem with any work they have done. I have other friends who would all agree.

• Stopped by Miller's today. He was polite but outright said he had no real interest in doing a Jeep engine. If i insisted he do it I would have to wait 5 months or so at a price tag of 3k give or take a little.
    I'll check Alderman's out next.

• I'm banking on he gave you an outrageous price and time frame in order to dissuade you from using their shop. "No thank you sir, I don't like money.. I have plenty."

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Stopped by Miller's today. He was polite but outright said he had no real interest in doing a Jeep engine. If i insisted he do it I would have to wait 5 months or so at a price tag of 3k give or take a little.
    I'll check Alderman's out next.

I'm banking on he gave you an outrageous price and time frame in order to dissuade you from using their shop. "No thank you sir, I don't like money.. I have plenty."

Charlie is a one man show and i'm sure he's up to his eyeballs right now with work with the Racing and Diesel Pulling season right around the corner. If I think of anyone else I'll let you know.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• He was honest and fair. Not complaining about the man at all. He definitely had work stacked up. Impressive shop full of race engines waiting to be rebuilt. He had a ton of diesels in for rebuild too.. He said he stopped working on stock engines a couple of years ago and all he works on are performance engines

• Not local, but have you compared pricing to a crate engine?

HESCO

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks Neil,
    Interesting that ATK builds their non baha engine. I researched ATK and they have piss poor reviews. The Baha is 275 HP but needs a chip. Golen will run off of the OEM ECU. Golen emailed me me today Chad said the stroker is rated at 270hp but with a header, cold air intake and a 62mm throttle body it will get 300hp easily. I am $4400.00 away from a stroker

• I used Accurate machine https://www.accurate-machine.com/ to do the machine work on mine last year. I got their name from recommendations on this tread:

Looking for a machine shop recommendation

They did excellent work, on time and within budget. He is very familiar with 4.0's.

Thanks for the info. I did find a polace in PA closer to home that was recommended by several co workers that are into muscle cars. Their price was average and the owner knew a good bit about the 4.0.

• It doesn't get any better than Rich Brandi.

Brandi's 4x4 Performance
    The three Jeeps you see on that page are his personal Jeeps.
    Rich Brandi's Awesome monster Jeep truck at the PA Jeeps Show.

...and he has a few others. Years ago, when I was on the prowl for my first XJ, he was one of the first people I asked. He had found a really nice XJ - bone stock and minty clean - that he was going to add to his own Jeep collection, but he instead told me to buy it. It's now my trail rig.

As with the shop mentioned earlier in this thread, he is always slammed with work. And it might be a little far for you. But he specializes in Jeeps so he will be the literal opposite of the guy mentioned above. i.e., he will prioritize a Jeep.

I can't even begin to tell you the Jeeps I have seen him create over the decades I have known him. and race cars. and hot rods. and full restorations of antique show cars.

He can be a little.. uhhmm.. brusque, but don't let that put you off.

If you do call him, mention my name. He'll likely b1tch about how he found me a beautiful XJ and let me work in his shop to put my first lift on it, and now I take it out and beat the hell out of it.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I had mine done at Blitz Auto in kennet square. they do a lot of 4.0l and the old man knows his stuff, short block came back better than new

• I had mine done at Blitz Auto in kennet square. they do a lot of 4.0l and the old man knows his stuff, short block came back better than new

I'm glad you it worked out good for you, I've a few to many bad experiences with them to try them again. It almost makes me wonder if they didn't just get you a reman engine from there supplier like they were doing years ago.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I'm glad you it worked out good for you, I've a few to many bad experiences with them to try them again. It almost makes me wonder if they didn't just get you a reman engine from there supplier like they were doing years ago.

Thanks for the lead John but I committed to a shop that came highly recommended from several guys that I work with that are into muscle cars . The guy is great to deal with I will post up more once the engine is done. They are going to "hop" it up to get a little more umph out of it and I will probably be doing quite a bit of bolt on upgrades to squeeze every last bit of power out of it too.
    Im am not into bisiness bashing but i did speak with Blitz. After talking to a half dozen of the bigger auto repair shops in the kennett area lets just say i decided to go elseware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• I know of 2 vehicles that didn’t make it home from their shop. No thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the lead John but I committed to a shop that came highly recommended from several guys that I work with that are into muscle cars . The guy is great to deal with I will post up more once the engine is done. They are going to "hop" it up to get a little more umph out of it and I will probably be doing quite a bit of bolt on upgrades to squeeze every last bit of power out of it too.Im am not into bisiness bashing but i did speak with Blitz. After talking to a half dozen of the bigger auto repair shops in the kennett area lets just say i decided to go elseware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Smells like HEMI to me!! :hmm:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!