K & N Filters

• Quote from "underDAWG"

That is a good mod expecailly if you go to GWNF alot.

That one will require explaining. I've never run even a little hot at GWNF. What's so special about that place that a fan mod would help?

DrJ

• Okay so we have heard the good and bad side of intake mods and various other performance mods.

So my question is if these intakes are so bad why are so many companies making them and how are they staying in business?

Also, I have heard a lot about the negatives of more air but some of you guys posting said you had TB spacers, isn't the purpose of that more air? and what about larger throttle bodies isn't that for more, I have heard nothing but good about a 4.0L TB swap on a 2.5L, in fact I have done it with minor yet positive results, so what gives?

And beyond the air arguments are there any good return on investment bolt on engine performance mods, beside the high dollar turbo and supercharger type?

Does anyone want to argue that an intake, bored throttle body, header and exhaust won't give noticeable power gains, if tend to think there has to be some positive effect to this combonation of mods?

What about a chip upgrade? Upgraded coil? Fat spark plug wires? Is it all garbage?

• Quote from "DrJ"

That one will require explaining. I've never run even a little hot at GWNF. What's so special about that place that a fan mod would help?

DrJ

I think he's referring to the river crossings. With an electric fan you can shut the fan off before you go into the water. :shrug:

Joe

• Alot of the popularity of these simple bolt-on HP mods has to do with what is commonly called the free lunch syndrome. Most people look at it as damn if I spend $35.00 on a filter I could get 10HP, if I get a free flow exhaust then I am looking at 20 hp. Mind you these are advertised #'s and 95% of teh public who own vehciles who do simple mods are just looking at advertisements. Everyone wants cheap horsepower gains for cheap but if you look at what you actually get you are extememly dissapointed. Somewhere on JU was a great study done by someone to figure out what the actual difference in HP/dollar you had by simple bolt ons and a supercharger. FIgure a supercharger gets you 125 HP and they cost $3500.00 then look at all the bolts ons you can do to get at most (this is a dyno actual real world figure)15 HP with a FIPK, chip, bored out tb, tb spacer, header freeflow cat, free flow muffler. you come to a total of $1700.00 sooooo you are looking at $113.00 for every 1 HP gained vs $28.00/HP gained with a super charger. SOooo you are seemingly not oulaying much for these gains but in truth they are actually costing you 4x's more per horsepower vs. an induction system. Henc the term no free lunch :laughing:

• Quote from "turtle"

You are talking about purpose built mud rigs that have everything else sealed for use in very deep water

Well yeah. I was assuming that people who go to the trouble putting a snorkel on would also go to the trouble of sealing everything else up as well.

Were you guys just talking about ONLY putting on a snorkel and doing NOTHING to the distributor and wires to keep them dry? If that is the case then I agree. The snorkel alone is just a straw for your engine to breathe through.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Damn, since I am in a mood and let me take a crack at this.

Quote from "92WestShady"

I have heard a lot about the negatives of more air but some of you guys posting said you had TB spacers, isn't the purpose of that more air?

TB spacer is totally different mechanism to increase power. There are many reports that TB spacer does help the 2.5 L engine, but not 4.0L engine. It is definitely possible to modify the TB or intake manifold to increase the HP of the engine. In order to make it works, the R&D cost is very high. Therefore the returns may be low, high risk for the company.

For just old design of the engine, this is not worth it. That is why DC is dropping the engine in favor of V6 3.7. Theoretically, DC can redesign the head with one side for intake and other side for exhaust. It will instantly increase the HP of the engine.

So my question is if these intakes are so bad why are so many companies making them and how are they staying in business?

As I said it before. This is a big country/world (internet), suckers are born everyday. If you can not beat them join them. This is very low investment cost and all you need a fancy wedsite. Look, I am selling PHAIS now. All I need a few not too bright Wheelers swear PHAIS works.

This is a great country. All I have to do is tell them what they like to hear. They will buy it. :).

Quote from "92WestShady"

And beyond the air arguments are there any good return on investment bolt on engine performance mods, beside the high dollar turbo and supercharger type?

No, It is not worth it. IF you want power, do a V8 swap. See below.

Does anyone want to argue that an intake, bored throttle body, header and exhaust won't give noticeable power gains, if tend to think there has to be some positive effect to this combonation of mods?

I would think so, but in what cost.
    To answer your question trufully, one must ask what the objectives to your Jeep are. Most of us having a jeep are for Rock crawling. With a proper crawl ratio, our 4.0L engine has plenty of power. We don’t need HP, we need torque. If you buy your Jeep is for speed or mudding. You bought a wrong vehicle. Sell your Jeep and get a pick-up truck. Wrangler is not designed for speed or mud.

What about a chip upgrade? Upgraded coil? Fat spark plug wires? Is it all garbage?

Short answer is NO. When you light the dynamite, Which will give you a bigger bang, a match or blow torch? :D :D :D

Short answer is NO. When you light the dynamite, Which will give you a bigger bang, a match or blow torch? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Did you me short answer is Yes, or are you just being sarcastic all around with that last one? I mean match or blow torch both are gonna light the fuse and give the same bang........right?

So would you say quality parts as opposed to "replacement" or "upgrade" parts are a good investment to gain the most efficient performance? (i.e. Optima Battery, Accel or MSD coil and wires, Name Brand Spark Plugs and Oil)

Or do you believe stay stock and stick to a strict maintenance regimen for the best performance?

• if you have gone to bigger tires and havent regeared that is going to be your best bang for the buck pick a tire size adn regear to factory specs.... ask omaha hes real happy now that he regeared

• Ohh I definitely need to regear I am just intrigued by this topic. I have always believed that there was some positive noticeable gain to bolt on engine performance mods. I'm not saying they will make my Jeep feel like I have a V8 or that will double the HP or even increase it by 50%. But underDAWG seems to think that it is all a waste and I want to know what he thinks is worthwhile.

If the answer is nothing unless you want to do an engine swap or buy an expensive supercharger then I can accept his opinion but I just find it hard to believe with all the performance parts out there and how huge the industry is that everyone is getting the wool pulled over their eyes. I mean this is the first time I have heard someone completely refute or denounce all bolt on performance parts. I would have thought I would have read more negative test reviews upgrades like intakes and exhausts or a combination of both. In actuality it seems that most are overwhelmingly positive or at least mildly positive when it comes to bolt on upgrades.

Ohh well maybe I am just as naive as the rest the consumers buying a reviewing these parts. :shrug:

• Sorry Steven, if I have misled you.

My original answer stands. IT is not worth to upgradw the chip. THe chips have been out for a few years. I have not come across any good feedbacks. As far as coil and wire, the stock is just fine. In fact many of us prefer OEM instead of aftermarket. The thicker wire will not delievery bigger explosion in the cyclinder.

As for spark plug, please stay away from the new generation spark plug. Use old fashion copper electrode is better. The reason is the 4.0L engine is very old design.

As for OPtima battery, unless you have alot of lights and a winch. Stay with the stock until it is no good and then switch to either Optima or OEM replacement..

As for maintenace ie. oil change. It is very subjective. Many do every 3000 miles. I think it is just too wasteful, I change my oil every 5 to 6K. All my vehicles run more than 250K, so I guess I am OK.

As for syn oil, you can't go wrong. Dino oil, if change regulary, they are as good unless you are driving in the extreme conditions, extreme hot or cold. One more thing: Syn oil is better becasue it does not burn, therefore your engine inside always looks clean.

Again after all these talks, you are the one who makes the call. No one knows your situation better. HTH.

• I tend to agree with Linyee on the majority of bolt on garb. Regardless if there are minor gains here or there. Put you money where it makes a real difference. Gears lockers, tires, safe and proper lifts. It is a bling enabled world, better to know your own mind then to follow. (You never know who they are following. )

Now, MSD, HEI or FTI ignition upgrades do make a difference in most cases. Older jeeps especially where the factory spark was inadequate and less reliable than more modern ignition systems. No one can argue that replacing a Carter carb with a motorcraft or a Weber wont give significant performance and reliability gains. No one can argue that a FI conversion doesn't beat a carb.

It's your money, you earned it, spend it as you wish. IMHO, you do have a responsibility to use your use what you have in a way that has value. Remember those who have nothing when buy something $$$ that really wont make a real difference. Is it to impress? I think thats why so many people dont regear or lock. No one can see it. You don't get any attention.

Steve (Admits to having a K&N on his Weber, but to his defense he bought it bundled with the carb)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by ().

• Right on thanks for the input, I just really like hearing peoples opinions and I appreciate yours. Experience speaks volumes over speculation and I only have a few years of experience so anything I can gather from others is greatly appreciated.

A couple final questions.....

-What is Dino oil?
    -I heard it is bad to switch to a synthetic oil in a higher mileage vehicle because the detergents can pull deposits off the inside of the engine causing excess wear, is this true?
    -I have always thought regular changes (3000 miles) of conventional motor oil was cheap insurance, is this excessive?
    -I run Champion truck plugs and change them about once a year, I change my cap and rotor every year or two as well unless I have a problem, how often should I replace my spark plug wires?
    -And finally, do you think a drop in K&N air filter is bad like an open cone K&N or will it work just the same as a paper replacement?

• THIS IS WHAT I WANTED WHEN I STARTED THIS POST. I wanted to know, what was a waste of my money. Now as I finish reading the 2 pages that came out of no where.... a couple of comments

DrJ - it was DCC that knocked off the top of his snorkle on tree's....

and...

On the chip upgrades, I'm gonna get moneyman on here, cuz he got a chip and he loves the thing....we talked about it on the parade day. He says thought he does need to regear.

Joo- (not saying I'm doing anything to the jeep, just looking for the info, and a good subject to talk about)

The reason I asked all this is because I was wondering what to replace my paper filter with, and I just wanted to know if it was worht it to spend the insance amount of money to put in that drop in K&N, compared to that paper one.

• So joo...so you can relate...putting a K&N in your Jeep is sorta like putting baseball cards on your bicycle's spokes with clothespins. I doesn't really hurt, and makes a great noise!

DrJ :peace:

• I hear that. After I finished ready those 2 pages of everything I figured as much. I prolly should have edited my post.

When I was younger... i tried sticking branches into my rims on my bike to make it louder..... didn't turn out to well.

Joo ( thats why I am the way I am) :updown:

• From my personal experience, I noticed a gain with an exhaust, TB, and an AEM system, plain and simple. The 4.0's are inefficient and more air will help the mix to burn better. And for only gaining at high rpm, thats wrong, I drive around 2300 rpm on the highway and got an increase in mileage and pulling power up hills.

• Quote from "rafartist"

...before they puke an opinion.

That isn't really necessary. We ALL know it is his opinion. I venture to say not all of us, or even most of us agree with it, but he's entitled to it and shouldn't be berated for it. A few have already discounted his "facts" and offered their own. He could have belittled THEM, but didn't, he just disagrees...as you do with him. It is all good man, to each his own.

DrJ (can't BELIEVE I'm sticking up for LINYEE!)

• Please excuse me, I have had a sh!tty day at work and spoke before I thought. Happens to me all of the time. I am amending the post.

• Quote from "rafartist"

From my personal experience, I noticed a gain with an exhaust, TB, and an AEM system, plain and simple. The 4.0's are inefficient and more air will help the mix to burn better. And for only gaining at high rpm, thats wrong, I drive around 2300 rpm on the highway and got an increase in mileage and pulling power up hills.

A friend of mine's father once told me that the best thing you can do for an inline 6 is make it breather better. As was said a few pages back (think it was Turtle), you have to improve the exhaust flow as well as the intake flow. I'm not sure WHY inline 6s are bad breathers but I just know to listen to his father when he speaks because he is usually right.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!