DeJA Trail Ride - Sunday 2/19 at Paragon

• DeJA hosted a moderate and stock level trail ride at Paragon on Sunday, February 19. We had an amazing turn out with it being such a cold day. I believe the high for the day was 24*.

In attendance for the ride were: BlueJ, DCC, Clendaniel & JC1121, KeithC, jeeprubicon, DrJ & whatevah, BradP, Blackrubi & Grandcherokeechick, MellowYellow, Liftedsahara, rdjp94, gap050, TheMistaken, along with a few guests.

We split into two groups with Ian and Jen leading the stock group while Andrew and myself led the modified group. I'll let Ian or Jen give a trail report for the stock group.

The modified group started out with all 3 legs of Chicken Run to warm up. Everyone made it through these sections without any issues. From there we made our way to Rubicon Lake only to find out that every path over to the lake was closed and Rubicon Lake was taken off the map. With the lake closed we decided to try the lower section of Wampum only to see the rest of that trail was closed also. So.....we decided to head down Turtle and over to the spring for lunch. The other group had pulled into the spring right before us so we were all able to share the morning stories.

After lunch the modified group decided to try Rocky Meadow and Laurel. Rocky Meadow went smoothly and upon entering Laurel we assisted Ian with getting the stocker group through the beginning section of the trail. From there we headed over to Logging Trail and down Rocky Swamp Trail. Both of these trail gave everyone a good challenge but nothing too difficult. We shot down some new trails that had recently been cut including "New Trail" and Doe Run Rocks Trail. At the end of those it was about time to head out.

We got back to the staging area, aired up, trailered up, and gave out trail badges. Excellent day with no breakage or serious recoveries needed.

Thanks again to Ian, Jen, and Andrew for leading the groups.

-Chris

• Just a few additional comments:

After the stocker group move on through Laurel, the modified group headed through. We went directly through the water rather than around the side on the dirt, and it seemed to be a lot easier. It washed off some of the mud as well...

In the afternoon we headed up logging road, entering the trail via the long steep entrance with the big gullies. I didn't see this (just the aftermath), but Donnie made an attempt up the left side gully, and put his jeep on its side. In backing down out of it, he ripped his left side windows and entire mirror assembly on a nasty root. Oh well. Donnie, I didn't see the pictures in your collection...

• Quote from "BlueJ"

Just a few additional comments:

I didn't see this (just the aftermath), but Donnie made an attempt up the left side gully, and put his jeep on its side. In backing down out of it, he ripped his left side windows and entire mirror assembly on a nasty root. Oh well. Donnie, I didn't see the pictures in your collection...

Sounds like Donnie may have been a little too busy to take pictures. :question: :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I bet Donnie didn't take pics because that is standard stuff for him. Just part of a trail ride, right Donnie?

DrJ

• Quote from "BlueJ"

I didn't see this (just the aftermath), but Donnie made an attempt up the left side gully, and put his jeep on its side. In backing down out of it, he ripped his left side windows and entire mirror assembly on a nasty root.

Wow...didn't hear about that, the trail in question is named horseshoe and is a Green 1 but I'd say those nasty washouts are a mid-high black.

As far as the stocker group we ended up with 11 rigs with a good mixture from totally stock to lifted/locked rigs. We started out with the intent to go down by Rubicon Lake however as Chris pointed out it is apparently offlimits now. So instead we doubled back and began the day on the bunny loop so that everyone could get a feel for the trails. Once done there we headed back through the play area and after Andrew and Keith went up one of the larger hillclimbs we headed down Turtle towards the mine shaft and spring area. After passing the mine shaft on Haul Road we did Outer Spare Tire before heading up to the Spring for lunch.

After finishing lunch we headed out in the direction of Boy Scout but got a bit turned around and had to cut across Laurel (a Blue 2) in order to get where we wanted. :hmm: With a bit of spotting we managed to get everyone through before cutting over to the second half of Boy Scout. From there we headed down Logging Road and did Woodpecker to the bottom section of the Logging Trail. After pointing out Voodoo :rolleyes: we headed back ridgeroad in the direction of Horseshoe and the new trail named interstate which parallels I81. Since it was getting close to the winter closingtime of 4pm we headed back up Valley ro Coal road and back out the parking lot to meet everyone else. Overall I had a great time and Jen made it easy by chauferring me around for the day...she's definitely recovered from her tree incident at RC! :suspicious:

--Ian

• Quote from "clendaniel"

Wow...didn't hear about that, the trail in question is named horseshoe and is a Green 1 but I'd say those nasty washouts are a mid-high black.

We did do Horseshoe at the end of the day, but that's not where Donnie did his best work. Horseshow (82) is a green1 off of the pipeline, there's really nothing to do there to get damaged on (though I think there are thorns mixed into the wild blueberries along the trail in the right season).

The ruts were at the alternate entrance to Logging Trail (76). It used to be the main entrance, but it became to eroded, so they built a new less-steep main entrance that joins at the top of the ruts. What Donnie attempted was a V-shaped rut, about 8 feet across and about 6 feet deep. He ended up on with his wheels on the right side of the trench, leaning his left side on the left side of the trench. I did that last spring, but I guess I sit up a little higher and my rocker guard step kept me off the worst of it.

• Quote from "joo"

Did the lake close because of that incident with that guy sinking his jeep??

There was nothing I could find on the Paragon board about the trail closings. I posted a message asking about them...

• I got to Paragon inbetween Ian and the rest of the group, while every one was airing down and disconnecting I figured I better make sure I had 4wd, good thing too. When I put it in 4wd in the parking lot I heard this aweful clunking noise coming from up front. Turns out my front drive shaft lost a strap and a cap off the TC on the way up to Paragon. After our last GWNF trip I put a couple spare straps and bolts in my junk box along side my spare universals so I had it fixed before everybody was done airing down. (I don't think anybody even saw me working)
    The rest of the day was uneventful till Logging Trail (76).

Quote from "BlueJ"

Just a few additional comments:

In the afternoon we headed up logging road, entering the trail via the long steep entrance with the big gullies. I didn't see this (just the aftermath), but Donnie made an attempt up the left side gully, and put his jeep on its side. In backing down out of it, he ripped his left side windows and entire mirror assembly on a nasty root. Oh well. Donnie, I didn't see the pictures in your collection...

Quote from "DrJ"

I bet Donnie didn't take pics because that is standard stuff for him. Just part of a trail ride, right Donnie?

DrJ

Actually I meant to take a pic, but it slipped my mind. And I kinda figured somebody else would of taken one too. (that's what I miss most about the stocker group, lots of pics) :rolleyes:
    It took half a roll of Duck tape to repair it for the ride home. I just put on my spare drivers mirror and spare door skin when I got home from work this evening. I'll get my spare rear side window on tomorrow. :grin:

Here's a pic of the door skin I took off tonite.

I took one of my duck tape repair a little while ago but it's too dark to see much, but here it is anyway.

I'll try to get one tomorrow while it's still light with and without the duck tape. :ghostly:

• Sounds like you all had a great ride. I was at Paragon on Saturday guiding the Mid Atlantic L.O.S.T. group farewell ride for the V.P. I wanted to stay and ride with you guys on Sunday, but my wife can only tolerate one day on the trails at a time :shrug: I plan to make the next one.

Randy

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2" body lift, BFG 32-11.5-15
    '03 KJ, lift, armor, BFG 245-70-16

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!