Anyone experienced with t-176's

• Looking for some help with my t-176. Just put a clutch/pressure plate in and found it would not go into any gear it worked fine 2 days ago. took it out thinking it a clearance issue but it still will not go into gear even sitting on my garage floor. I was thinking maybe the shifter rods are jamed, possibly the middle one? I tried to get the top housing off thinking to move it around, but the forks are holding it in. Anyone work on these or show me how? I am in the Bear area.

• Can you remove the shifter out the top without taking off the top plate? If you can then you'll see if the shift rods are out of alignment. You might be able to move them individually.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• one of two things might have happened,as slimer said,take the shifter out.the top retainer is spring loaded,just push it down and turn counter-clockwise,then look down where shifter goes,all 3 of the slots should be in line which means the tranny is in neutral.if they are not in line you can move them with a screwdriver and be sure when you put shifter back in that it goes into slot.if that is all in right position and it still will not shift,the detents on the syncronizers came out of the grooves that they ride in,which means tranny needs to come apart.

• I got the top off and out with some wrestling. It looks like my fork rods are jammed with the exception of the middle one. I just need to figure out the combination to free the other two now, hopefully that is all their is too it. I just do not know what combination to free the others

• Caravel Woods in Bear. That would be a tremendous help. I just think I am missing something. It can not be that serious. I will pm you my cell #

• Quote from "Hasselholf"

I got the top off and out with some wrestling. It looks like my fork rods are jammed with the exception of the middle one. I just need to figure out the combination to free the other two now, hopefully that is all their is too it. I just do not know what combination to free the others

If it is the fork rods (things the forks bolt to in the transmission top plate then you will want to put them back in nuetral. To do this, line up the three grooves where the shifter engages.

Then you'll have to move the synchos into the nuetral position. Since your tranny is still in the Jeep you'll want to line them up with the top plate forks. Or, you can work the fork rods until they are real easy to move around and line the forks up with where the synchros currently are. That would probably be easier.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Tranny is out of the jeep.
    The problem is I am having trouble getting the reverse fork to move. I got the other two to move with some work, just not that one. forks appear to be in neutral position, as best I can tell. I believe the problem is with that reverse fork, but this is all new to me. It has to be something simple that I am doing wrong.

• Since you have the top off the tranny, flip it upside down and soak the fork rods for a few days in a good penetrating oil. Mine were pretty bad so I soaked them in vinegar for a day to eat at the rust, hit the rods with some emory paper, and then soaked it in motor oil for a few days. That worked well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Got it.
    Ended up taking the rods,springs and balls out, soaked them overnight.
    Reassembled in neutral position and it WORKS!
    Thanks for the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!