Author Topic: Air Bleed Hole In Thermostat  (Read 2130 times)

Offline keith_c

• Keith Cochran
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
    • Jeeps owned: '03 TJ
Air Bleed Hole In Thermostat
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
How important is it?

OEM has it, Stant replacement does not.

Guessing it's to help prevent air pockets.

They do make reference to it in the FSM.

Offline TheDarkSide

• Andy Sheppard
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    • Jeeps owned: 1980 CJ7
Re: Air Bleed Hole In Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
I have always just drilled a small hole, in the 12 O' clock position on mine if it did not have one. Always seemed to help get the air bled from the system the first time.

Andy

Online Slimer

• John Brereton
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
    • Jeeps owned: '79 CJ5, 2004 WJ Limited, various parts Jeeps that have been stripped and scrapped
    • Slimer and me
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
I do the same.  The FSM says when you fill the coolant system to remove the ETC (if that's what it's called) located in the rear driver side of the head of a 4 L.  That will allow the air to get out since that spot seems to sit a little lower.  The hole in the thermostat is an added benefit.  I think it helps.
Americans are not a particular people from a particular place or a particular religion.  They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom.   Everyone who holds to that spirit, anywhere, is an American.

Offline keith_c

• Keith Cochran
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
Well, I paid the $15 for the OEM thermostat,

The hole also has a check ball built in.

I've read many threads concerning burping the system and air lock and over heating so figure it's worth it.

Online Slimer

• John Brereton
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
    • Jeeps owned: '79 CJ5, 2004 WJ Limited, various parts Jeeps that have been stripped and scrapped
    • Slimer and me
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
Never saw a check ball built in.
Americans are not a particular people from a particular place or a particular religion.  They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom.   Everyone who holds to that spirit, anywhere, is an American.

Offline keith_c

• Keith Cochran
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
Never saw a check ball built in.

You can see it in the first pic.

Did some searching on other vehicle forums and it was mentioned that drilling a hole can really affect warm up time in the winter.

I'm guessing the ball allows air to pass but not coolant.

Offline quadna

• DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
    • Jeeps owned: 2013 JKU
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
Did some searching on other vehicle forums and it was mentioned that drilling a hole can really affect warm up time in the winter.
Negatively, right? Maybe since the coolant circulates through the hole it takes longer for the coolant to warm up enough to crack open the thermostat?

Offline keith_c

• Keith Cochran
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
Negatively, right? Maybe since the coolant circulates through the hole it takes longer for the coolant to warm up enough to crack open the thermostat?

That it would increase warm-up (time to get heat) since it would allow coolant into the radiator right from start up.

Typically, the initial BTU's that are generated by the engine are all directed through the heater core until the thermostat opens.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:32:10 PM by Keith_C »

Offline altierior

• John Altieri
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    • Jeeps owned: Y2K XJ (the original), '99 XJ (trail rig, formerly DeJA club rig), '99 XJ Limited (bone stock)
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
I just stumbled upon this:
Some thermostats will have a giggle valve in the mounting plate. This valve is not an indication of the quality of the thermostat, but merely an added feature. The valve is oriented at the top when installed in a vertical position. Its true function is to allow air to escape from the top of the cooling system, aiding filling, and avoiding steam pockets. If your thermostat does not come with a giggle valve, a 1/16" drilled hole near the outer diameter of the plate will work with the same effect.
http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/coolingsystem4.html

'giggle valve', huh?  :laughing:

Online Slimer

• John Brereton
  • DEJA Sr. Member 2014
    Forum Moderator
    • Slimer and me
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
couldn't come up with a better name than that?  :doh: