Author Topic: Engine swap  (Read 606 times)

Online Kuntryboy816

• Jeremy Miller
  • DEJA Member 2014
    • Jeeps owned: 1989 YJ
Engine swap
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
Ok so I havE the opportunity to get my old Chevy truck back from my brother in law bc it has a cracked crossmember and he doesn't want to have it fixed.  The motor only has around 65k on it (maybe less).  Right now the Jeep isn't running and tomorrow I'm goin to run a compression test before I spend $200 on a carb.

My question is this... Has anyone here done a v8 swap and how involved is it?  Ok that's 2 questions.

Here's the skinny... It's a Chevy 350 w/ a 400 turbo trans out of a 1987 Chevy R10 Silverado (2wd).  I know the swap is possible but I'm trying to look ahead in case I find the engine in the Jeep is bad (ie. piston rings, valve heads, etc.).  Any thoughts, ideas, concerns?  I know that the Dana 30/35 won't survive long under the V8 but I just want this thing running and then I'll worry about beefing up axles, gears, etc. down the road.  Right now it's a mall crawler.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:49:31 PM by Kuntryboy816 »
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington

Offline skeets682

• Glenn Nutter
  • DEJA Member 2014
    • Jeeps owned: 2005 TJ, 2004 Rubicon
Re: Engine swap
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
Go to Advance Adapters website. They have a lot of info there on engine swaps.
Glenn & Nancy

RIP Beau, Dottie

Online Kuntryboy816

• Jeremy Miller
  • DEJA Member 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
Go to Advance Adapters website. They have a lot of info there on engine swaps.

Yeah I read through the entire write up on the Novak site yesterday.  I'll check out AA's site as well. 

Figured it would take a little time to do but as the Jeep isn't running at this point and I am getting my truck back for free....

It'll be really nice if the Jeep is OK and I can keep the truck too!!  Maybe do the swap later on down the road.   :suspicious:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:27:17 AM by Kuntryboy816 »
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington

Offline CJV8

• Account Suspended
    • Jeeps owned: 77 CJ 7 MODIFED BIG TIME
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
Your stock axles will hold up as long as you dont crawl with it. You can get mounts off line that will work for direct bolt in or you can fab you own what I found best is to get the mounting plate out of a suburan for the mounts to mounts to bolt to. You would also need a C241 trans case out of a 88-93 I think because it has the driver side drop and also its not electric. Its not bad doing the swap you just have to have time and I frogot you also can get a kit for the wiring harness online that is direct for the converstion or you can just wire it direct.There is 4 wires you need that come from the block in the fire wall you will need. Its not bad and its worth it at the end

Offline shadyluke

• DEJA Guest
    • Jeeps owned: 95 YJ, 01 XJ
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
You are also going to need a 4wd trans or swap out the tailhousing on that TH400. 
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Offline CJV8

• Account Suspended
    • Jeeps owned: 77 CJ 7 MODIFED BIG TIME
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
If you want to sell the trans I may buy it from you

Online Kuntryboy816

• Jeremy Miller
  • DEJA Member 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:46:01 PM »
I've put this on the back burner for the moment.  The compression test on the Jeep was good so unless the engine falls out there probably won't be any engine swap in the immediate future.  Hopefully I can get both on the road... at least that's the plan.