Posts by jonzjeepyj

This was just to show how bad of a sag I really have. It was done in my garage with a 3 ton floor jack. Nothing was installed.

I haven't bought anything yet either. I had to bring the front end up 3" just to get it level with the back. I wanted to get some hard numbers to figure out where I stand. This makes me wonder if I should go with....

UP FRONT
    (2) new leafs up front with an additional 2" of lift (which would actually give me 5 total up front / 3" of sag would bring me back to stock and then the additional 2" of lift)

IN REAR
    just add 2" lift shackles

That would put me at around 37 1/2" at all four corners. But for the price, It's not far off a complete kit with shocks and everything else. I don't know what to do. I'm gathering all the info I can right now. As soon as my 2003 Chevy 2500HD sells (which is paid for in full), I'll have the cash needed to play. I'm hoping it sells this week. I have two perspective buyers that are looking at it this weekend.

So to regain the stock height I should either replace my front springs with new stock springs and then lift with 1"shackles or a 1" body lift. Or just replace all 4 springs with 2" of lift over stock height in a kit with shocks ect. A cost of around 400-600 for a decent kit.

Everyone kept telling me not to use the add-a-leaf but did not tell me why. That makes sense now. I was trying to save a few bucks but after you explained the downfalls of the too large of a shackle lift and the stiffness of an add-a-leafs, I think I might rethink this.

My other Dumb question, Will the shackle reversal that gives you an additional 2" also push the wheel too far like a 2" shackle lift?

Also, Any other advice?

I haven't had much lift experience in the jeep department as if you cant tell. LOL I have done a shackle reversal on my older bronco but It wasn't the perch in the center of the truck, It was the outer perches. By flipping the perches around I gained an additional 2" of lift. I did this after putting on a 6" lift on my 85 Bronco. The Kit comes with 6" springs and 4"blocks. I didn't like the forward rake so to level it, I did the shackle reversal for the additional 2" of rear lift. From what you are telling me, a shackle reversal on jeep is done on the perches that are under the center of the rig. OK, I understand now. Sorry for sounding so stupid.

I have owned a 79 CJ7 and a 87 wrangler before but did not modify them with lifts. Just trying to find out some lift info on the 92YJ without sounding TOO stupid.

John

How much settling can I expect?

This was just to show how bad of a sag I really have. It was done in my garage with a 3 ton floor jack. Nothing was installed. But from the looks of things and the measurements, I'll level the YJ at 33 1/4 in the front with a 3" lift add-a-leaf. The rear already sits at 32 3/4", a difference of only 1/2" from front to back. I wont touch the rear. After the springs settle a bit in the front, I'll add the shackles accordingly at all four corners for an additional 1-2" of lift.

John

Here are a few pics of my 92 YJ before and after an additional 3" of lift

Front Before---------------30"
    Front After----------------33 1/4

Rear Before---------------32 3/4
    Rear After----------------35 1/2

Looks like I only need to replace the front springs to regain my lost 3" of sag to be level. Then add a 1-2 inch shackle lift all the way around for additional height.

Just wondering if anyone has put the shackles on the back hanger (center of the truck). I have used them before but was just thinking (which is dangerous) if it was possible to hang them this way. No particular reason. Just thinking.
    John

Yankee19934, I really like the look with the 31's on 4 1/2" lift. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if my 29"s will look too small on a 4" lift. I finally got a good look at my jeep from a distance and really noticed the front sag. The Jeep actually leans forward. Kinda like a truck with the front end rake. LOL

I just had a fuel leak and had to drop the tank to see where it was coming from. Long story short, the Previous owner was telling me that they dropped the tank to find out why the fuel gauge wasn't working. He told me that is was a PCM chip at the sending unit on top of the tank. Dealer item for 14.00 bucks. He told me that the 92 YJ was the only year that had them. Well when he put it back together he didn't tighten the fuel line hose clamps and Wa-La, fuel leak. Anyone know if that's true about the PCM at the sending unit on top of the tank for only the 92 YJ's

Jeep91YJ, Remember, I'm not using the add-a-leef's for additional lift, I'm using them to rearch my spring pack to gain lost inches from sag. The shackles in the kit were to give it a small lift. This will only be a daily driver. I agree the the superlift kit is much much better. I'm selling my 2003 Chevy 2500HD. It depends on how much I can get for for the truck weather or not I will go for the superlift kit. I have a few bills to pay and I'll see how much is left over. I don't owe anything on the truck so I hope it brings in good money. The more the better to play with for the Jeep. LOL

I have 6" stock shackles on now. That would be a 10" shackle right. I was told that it would look funny. Are the boom-a-rang shackles better?

I found this decent 4" lift kit that has

4) 2-3" lift add-a-leaf's / and new center pins
    4) 1 1/4" lift shackles / and hardware
    1) T-case drop kit / and hardware
    1) Pitman arm
    4) New sets of U bolts / and hardware

Shipped to my door for 239.96
    I may or may not need the shackles after I use the add-a-leaf's but for the price, I'll get the whole kit.

I put my 3 ton jack under the right front frame and started jacking it up until the tire just started to break the ground. After it reached an additional 4" of lift, I noticed that the fender heights were even from front to back. I also pushed up and down on the front and could hear/feel it bottom out on the bump stops. It's definitely time for some add-a-leaf to regain some of that lost spring arch.

John

"You already lost power when the P.O. bumped up to the 245 tires. much larger and you'll be the proud owner of a 4 speed."

Did you mean 4-cyl/5-spd ?

That's what I thought. I specifically wanted the 4cyl/5-spd for highway driving fuel economy. I don't plan on Wheeling, just a better stance. Like I said, my yokohama 245's are new with only 2500 miles on them. I'll keep them for now but wanted to know size for the future.
    What about the kit I found?
    John

I don't want to spend the money to regear. I only have a 4cyl 5spd. With that said, What tire size would be the max size before performance is compromised? 30/31/32/33"?? I have Yokohama 245's which I think is a (29 x 9.65 x 15) They rub on full turns.

Here is a dumb question, Which end of the spring do you put the shackle on? I have always put them on the outer ends. Would it be possible to put them on the inner eye under the jeep?

I found this for sale. It has everything for a 4" lift except the shocks.

Includes...
    Pitman arm
    T-case drop brackets
    All U bolts and hardware is included

Price including shipping..............240.00

1987 - 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ All Models
    4 inch complete front and rear lift kit for your Jeep Wrangler YJ. This will lift the front 4 inches using and add a leaf system to rearch the spring packs and give you 2-3 inches of lift and a 1.25" lift shackle to complete the lift. The rear is lifted the same way. We also give you a pitman arm and transfer case drop to help with any drive line vibrations for a better ride and New u bolts for the front and rear.

What does everyone think. The only concern I have is the add-a-leaf's with my sagging springs. do you think it will work? It's not a bad price IMO.

I'm also hearing that the magic suspension lift number is 3" before you have to lower the T/case. I know it differs from rig to rig. I'm liking the 2"spring idea. Not only will I gain 2 additional inches of lift, I'll gain the additional lift that I lost from my sagging springs. I'll have all new springs and an additional 2" of lift.
    Will I have to...

get longer shocks
    Pitman arm
    sway bar extensions
    or anything else
    or nothing at all

Since I'll be driving on the highway and not looking for any major off road enhancements, What budget lift kits are available for around 250-300 bucks. The person I bought the jeep from in MD had already upgraded to yokohama Outlanders 235/75R/15's.

I think the original tire size was --------------205/75R/15 = 27x8.07x15 (That's the rear spare)
    Upgraded to a Yokohama tire-----------------235/75R/15 = 29x9.25x15

I'll keep these tires for a while, They only have 2500 miles on them when I bought the Jeep. With that said regaining my lost lift due to sagging springs and adding an additional 2"of lift all by replacing the springs at all four corners should do well with the 245's. Now which manufacture has the most complete and least expensive kit?

(4) springs with new eye bushings
    (4) shocks
    new mounting hardware

Is there any out there for 205-300 bucks?

I just purchased a bone stock 92 YJ and wanted a better stance with taller tires. I purchased this jeep to get back and forth to work. My 2003 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L/496ci gets 8Mpg. I purchased a 4cyl/5speed for economy. I will be doing only highway driving and don't need to enhance my performance for off road ability. Just a better stance and taller tires. I don't like the look of a 3"body lift, It seems a wast to spend the time to only put on a 1" body lift. I was thinking 2" lift shackles and something else to give me between 3-4 inches of total lift. My springs are original and are sagging pretty bad. I'm thinking a 2" suspension lift with replacement leafs and adding the 2" lift shackles. trying to use minimal bucks of course to achieve this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, John