Posts by vbquick1

Anyone have D44 carrier guts laying around after they switched to a locker?? I am looking for the thrust washers out of it. They are the large, thin, washers behind the side gears of your spiders. I am installing a lockrite this weekend (if i can find the part) and I cannot find what I did with mine when I took them out. If someone has a set that I can have I will replace them with new ones in about a week when they come in from the warehouse or just pay you for them..... or give you my firstborn!! :spinrhead: 302-354-0065

I would suggest going on pirate4x4.com to do a search on the milemarker winches. I am thinking about buying one in the near future. I can't afford a Warn either :peace: . As long as I dont find too much bad feedback on the Milemarker, I am goin to go with it. There are a few places that sell a warranty with the winch, it's included in the price, but I have to read the fine print on that one too.

I have been researching the system for a long time trying to decide if i want to go with it, and I have come to a conclusion that will be absolutely no help to you whatsoever......some people really love it, and some people absolutely hate it!! I have been talking to everyone I can about them for the past 3 months and that is my scientific conclusion. :shrug:

I used the jack in a bit of a different way when i did my lift. I took the stock CJ jack and placed it between the leaf and the frame then cranked it up a bit to remove the bolts. 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, just another way to skin the kitty. :peace:

As far as the liability part goes, I believe the way Greggo & Ferrara handled that with 4 wheelers using their property was to post "no trespassing signs". If they are illegally on your property they would not have much of a case. Several people were hurt and a think one or two quad runners were even killed on their property. I dont remember hearing any suits against them.

Some of you might remember me talking about how the lock-rite in the rear of my CJ7 D44 never unlocking. I always attributed this to the width of my tires and light weight in the rear of the vehicle......looks like I was wrong. I tore my rear apart today and found that I had sheared all four pins off. One good thing is that when they sheared off they all became lodged between the two plates that run on either side of the crosspin. Hence always locked!! I guess my heavy right foot broke it!! :rollsmile: The 8 pieces at the top of the pic used to be four pieces. I dont know if I will be able to reuse this thing, the holes look a bit elongated where the pins broke off. Anyone ever heard of this happening??

I am taking a guess on this one, but I believe the function of the valve allows air into the tank to prevent you from drawing a vacuum when fuel leaves the tank. If you plug that valve up, I would think you could create a vacuum in the tank and prevent your motor from getting fuel. If you flip the jeep, you are going to want some sort of check valve to prevent air from getting into the tank and allowing fuel to pour out. Once again, I am guessing....so I could be way off.

If you are interested you can look at my CJ7. I have a 351 Windsor which is basically the same block. I have stock driveshafts front and rear, no lengthening or shortening, because the C4 tranny and adapter or almost the exact same length as the stock drivetrain.

your close. the binding is the front and rear spinning at diffrent speeds while turning sharp. the inside tires will spin at diffrent speeds, but unless you have a tight locker or a spool there wont be any binding from it.

I must disagree. Like I stated above, if your gearing is slightly different (ie 4.11 front to 4.09 rear) than for every 411 times your front tires rotate your rear tires will come up two rotations short. So lets go a little further with that using basic math. If you are running 33 in tires the circumference of the tire is (33 x 3.14 =) 103.62 inches. So for every (411 x 103.62 inches= 42,587.82 inches / 12 = ) 3548.985 ft that you travel with the front tires your rear tires will travel 3531.715 ft. That is a difference of 17.27 ft over 2/3's of a mile. This mean that if you front tires are traveling a 5 mph, your rear tires are traveling at 4.98 mph. I am not a physics professor, but I dont think that is enough.

I have changed my opinion on the bucking though. I agree with Chris in that if you are not using a locker the distance traveled for the inside and outside tires would not really make a difference. I always take lockers for granted cause most of us run them.

Due to the slow speeds that this situation occurs at, weight shift is probably not a factor. I think the reason this occurs is a combination of the difference in directional forces applied to the vehicle. This is the result of the short wheel base and the front wheels being turned in one direction and the rear wheels facing another direction. This is compounded by the fact that the front and rear diffs are sending power every which way because of the constant weight shift from one tire to another after force is applied to any of the other tires. So to be a lil clearer, during a sharp turn the front tires are producing force in a direction like this \---\ and the rear tires are producing force in a direction like this |---| causing the vehicle to "buck".

So thats my new opinion....LoL :spinrhead:

I could be off on this one, but say you have 4.11's in the front and 4.10's in the rear. So every time your front tires rotate 411 times, your rear tires will rotate 410 times. The gearing is constant, no matter if you are turning or going straight. I have always believed that the binding while turning is due to the inside tires traveling a shorter distance than the outside tires of the turn. I could be wrong...

I am running a lockrite in my CJ7 equipped with a dana 44 rear axle and 35 x 14.50 swampers. I had hoped that the lockrite would ratchet as it is designed to do while turning, however I discovered that it does not. I could be wrong, but I attribute this to the weight of the vehicle and size tire that I am running. It basically performs as a spool in my application. I dont know if that help you at all, I believe you also have to break them in.