Posts by Erock

It definitely was a fun day, I'm sad I couldn't bring my jeep. Hopefully I can dig it out of storage and get to the trails soon.

It really was impressive what the JL Rubi could do being a vehicle off the showroom floor in stock form, you can tell it was made for this stuff. That raptor on the other hand...they will have to shoehorn him the whole way through tatas, probably so much so that it just wont be fun. He was from Texas and I guess the trails are bigger there too.

most of the legal offroading in the area is rock crawling. while I did many performance mods to be able to rock crawl better, the mod that made offroading the most enjoyable was when I skid plated everything under the jeep. this let me rock crawl with out worry of damage and made it much less stressful. its definitely not the sexiest or coolest mod, but makes me much more relaxed when riding the rocks

a lot of the jk guys like the AEV lift, I think its 3.5 inches.

the biggest questions that you will need to answer first are:

1. how much money do you want (can you) spend? (both on initial purchase, and mods)
    2. what do you want to use it for and what sacrifices are you ok with? (ie lower mpg but bigger tires on a daily driver)

I just put the TJ in storage (I'm moving out now, and wont have a house for 4 months) but a google search says gvwr for it is 4361. I am pretty sure I am just under that now, I know iths either 4100 or 4300 but cant remember what it was the last time I rolled across the scales. Weight is with 35s, arb front bull bar with winch, 1/4" rocker guards, clayton engine and transfer case skid, genrite gas tank skid, AtoZ rear swing out bumper and a few other things...

people will pick up anything they can get financing for. just because someone will loan you money, doesn't mean you should get it. the auto market seems like it is headed where the housing market was 10 years ago

Funny because WCCSP stressed that I had to have the blue tag this year, that's what they want everyone running. I'm still running the white tag on both Jeeps. If you take your receipt to the one on Thompson Station rd and explain the situation they'll probably give you the blue tag.

that's the lot at the David English trail head, right? they sell tags there?

I got mine at eastern marine yesterday. they only had the white plate with blue outline. I really liked the blue plate with the yellow outline. anyone know what happened to those?

overall, I like it. nice big wheel wells and the rubicon has 33 inch unique falken mud tires. the only thing off the bat I don't like is the way it looks from the back...its hideous.

I just recently came across their site too. they seem to have a lot of land. a co-worker of mine lives up that way. I can ask him about it, but I get a similar impression as you

there are a few guys on here that do work out of their home garage and are very fair in pricing. @astape is in north Wilmington and has probably worked on most of the jeeps of active members on here. @shadyluke also does good work and is in Lincoln university, but I know he is very low on time

the best way to do a cheap and easy lift is to do a 2 inch spacer lift. they are spacers that go between the coil springs and the spring perch on the frame. a set can be had for as little as about hundred bucks depending on brand. some will be closer to 300 with track bar brackets (to keep the axle centered under the jeep) and sway bar link extensions. you can get away with running the stock shocks, but you can get new shocks if you want. when I did my TJ, I just did the spacers and shock extensions

maybe some of the JK guys can chime in regarding what exact additional parts are required for the spacer lift.