Posts by Erock

when u do the body lift, make sure to disconnect your gas tank filler neck or you will crack the cap housing. you wont need a longer one(unless you go 2+), it just needs to be disconnected while you install the body lift since you will need to jack it up more than the body lift height.

x3 on the intake

I have a MagnaFlow Cat, and 40 series flowmaster on my 97 TJ 4.0L...and its a great sound. pretty throaty, but not too offensive...at low RPM :suspicious:...if you are in the Newark area, i can fire it up for you

where in newark are you, i have the same exhaust set up on a 2.5L and am curious to hear how much different/better the 4.0L sounds

welcome, and congrats on the jeep :wavey:

this is something you can probably do yourself...whats the problem? if you let us know where you got stuck, you can probably get the advice you need from someone on here to do it yourself. there are alot of knowledgeable people on here that have done this stuff before.

just out of curiosity, what tires are you looking at, and what type of offroading do/will you do? i think you mentioned mud...anything else?

a narrower rim will pull the bead in narrower, which will cause the side wall to "tilt in", if you will. this will pull the edge/shoulder of the tread off of the ground. this will not be a huge amount, but will affect tread wear. one benifit of a narrower rim, though, is that it will be better protected from side impact from rocks or other hard things.

since you are new to the jeep thing, i would really try to guess what direction you want ur jeep to go in. i use the word "guess" because it will almost certianly change, but u should have a good idea now. for just about anything, the 12.5 wide tire will work fine. the 15.5 would not handle well on the road, and really hurt your mpg. with what you currently have and 33x12.5 inch tires, it is a pretty safe bet that the jeep can do more than you would feel comfortable doing. even with the 33's your hwy performance will suffer, but 35's will be horrible unless u regear, engine swap...

i would recomend 33x12.5 on a 15x8 rim. these are both common sizes, easy to find, and relativly inexpensive. thats what i have and am happy with.

good luck with ur project, and let us know how it turns out :driving:

how easy is it to get a 6.5 speaker to fit in the 5.25 cutout in the sound bar on a 98?

on a side note...anybody have the new kicker sub from quadratec? the 8 inch low profile one behind the seat? i like the idea of it because it isnt as tall as the 10 inch sub boxes and it leaves some storage space on top of the box. just wondering if an 8 inch with 400W would be enough for a top down ride on the hwy.

obviously with the right resources damn near anything is possible, but from a design/engineering perspective, front wheel drive is just not inherently designed for speed/racing...and not as fun as rear wheel drive.

obviously, a jeep is also not designed for speed as everyone has said. he needs to decide what he wants his vehicle for especially if he is on a budget. strict budgets and big mods are tough to do together. if driving fast on the street is what he wants, he should get another car. if he wants something to go anywhere then keep the jeep. it seems like he wants the image of a jeep, the performance of a vette, and all done cheap...if he can get it done, more power to him.

good luck with ur build...

Different strokes for different folks. If he wants speed, he bought the wrong vehicle (obviously). Sell the Jeep now before he really goes broke blowing the rear out from dumping the clutch and buy an Neon or Civic. Not a go-fast vehicle by far.

i hope you are not implying that a neon or civic is a go fast vehicle. they are the car for the 16 year old with no money who wants a race car and all they have is their parents P.O.S. front wheel drive will never be a go fast car.

Do you have any contact info for Pete's?

x2...pete is pretty cool

on a side note, thanks alot to you and all the other military personnel...you guys are really appreciated. i hope all your service goes well.

do you have a showroom or anything of the sorts? one tough thing about buying jeep stuff is, most purchases are online, and we dont often get to hold stuff before we buy it. its nice to see the parts instead of a picture of parts.

10% of the power...120 hp from a 4 banger...12 hp freed up. dont know if it would work out like that, but thats what i have read. even if didnt work out to be that much, every hp helps, especially when you are always in the edge of the engines capability, plus there are numerous other advantages to elec fan

where did you get them installed for 450?

x 2...front and rear?

slick is right, regearing is a good option, but if you are like me and dont know how to set gears, it can cost $1500 and up to have a shop do it. i would like to, but the cost is not an option for me at this point. the reason i presented the ideas that i did is cost, you can get a fan conversion kit for $300 and install is not too bad. also, i havent really looked into it, but undoing the power steering, i think, is just removing a belt. but if you have the know how or funds, then re gear like slick said.

as another 4 banger owner i have been wondering the same thing. i have already done cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and highflow exhaust from the manifold back...noticed little. i dont think there is much more to get out of the 4 cyl, but i have just started to look into freeing up power that it is already making, ie get more if what it does make to the ground. the first thing that i know some people have done is switch to an elec fan instead of belt driven. this will free up about 10% or so i hear. another thing that may work and i havent heard of anybody doing this is ditching the power steering. this could get 10-15hp ive been told. i dont know how well the steering would work like that and would not recommend that for the trail, but maybe you could undo it for street and hook it up on the trail. if anybody else has any input on this, i would love to hear...

happy jeepin'

ive been looking at 4 inch lifts for a while and have tried to find the best for under $1,000. if you are going short arm, it looks like the 4 inch Cage is pretty good, i will be buying and installing come spring. if you can spend a bit more, i would look into some of the lifts that Fabtech makes.

Cage: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16400_303.htm

Fabtech: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16119_002.htm

good luck, and let us know what u get and how it works :driving: