Posts by Jump150

Tony,
    Just remember that is Finals weekend for NEUROC at Paragon, so not all its trails will be open, but you could cheer Team Mall Crawler on if you do go to Paragon that day.

Don
    (Paving Engineer)

Chris, Wow, thats all I can say. I heard about this on Pirate but the discussion doesnt do the video justice. That crowd was so lucky the other rigs parked where they were not supposed too. Hopefully this opened some eyes and made the event organizers realize that the crowd should not be so close. Everyone need to realize that this could happen on even a milder obstactle if your not properly restrained and could get knocked out. Thanks for posting this.

Don
    (Team 609 spotter who hopefully can outrun a rig with no driver)

See what happens when Aaron goes to a competition without his regualr spotter! I'm glad Jim has to explain to Jen how he let Aaron finally get his first roll and not just a flop. Either way I am gald it was caught on tape.

Don

Once again Andrew has given a thorough recap of the Days events. For everyone that missed it, let me tell you it was an AWESOME day. The weather warmed up to the 70's. The trail dust was a little bad if you weren't the lead vehicle, otherwise there was no reason to complain.
    Saturday ended up being a longer day then we expected mostly due to a temporary driveshaft that didnt have the necessary spline length. We were ready to test drive the rig (1st time since October) at 6pm when we discovered the driveshaft issue. therefore it was almost 9pm by the time we had it cut, shortend, and rewelded back together.
    Sunday Aarons competition YJ only had problems with that driveshaft, but that will be easily remedied. Every other winter modification worked without an issue so we were still pleased with the results.
    The Flattie had an issue where I jammed up the front end, twisted it all up and the steering box brackethad to give. It was easily removed and I continued on my way. However, I was noticing my left turn was becoming less and less effective. So, while driving the access trails back from Rattler I noticed the left front tire was bouncing all over the place and not staying steady. So we stopped to verify the spindle nuts weren't loosening. They were fine but we tightened them up some more.. Either way it looks like some new front bearings are in order.

Don

Andrew,
    I am counting on Aaron getting all his parts and rig back together by then. His front axle redesign is complete. We are just waiting for his steering ram to come back. Many of you should remember how that got damaged :spinrhead: His front hubs got new outer bearings (we'll just say that seemed to have gotten wet :shrug: )The fuel cell is complete and will be installed this weekend. And the driveshaft should be lenghtened and back to us soon.
    The Flattie is all prepped and ready to go. so if anyone is interested in a fun hardcore ride, say the word and we'll keep you updated.

Don
    Paving Engineer for NEUROC Team #609

I agree with Pitjeep. Go buy a half decent slalom water ski ropes, that has the off loops. I trust them when I go over the water ski ramp and keeping Aaron off his lid so I say say your money and buy a water ski rope!

Don
    (Spotter for Aaron and Nationally Ranked Water skier!)

LOL 4.3's are for Chumps!! but it still has more power then my lowly 305. My dad has a 4.3 with 2000 miles on it in his garage I have been trying to get my hands on. those 4.3's in stock form have around 180 hp and can easily be bumped up some more..

And you know if I could my hands on a tube frame I would be doing the same thing you are.

Well it looks like you had a productive sunday. It looks like Gavan's jeep is not going to be able to compete in NEUROC now unless he goes unlimited. There is that pesky rule in the stock class about having a Stock frame. Probably for the best, b/c I am sure Team Mall Crawlers water boy would be stuck doing the spotting.. :laughing:

Chris, on a good note, the flattie is now running Waynes original Fuel cell in the flattie.. you should see my departure angle now!!

Don

Andrew, Check with Aaron about this knuckle. I recall us looking at it for his old Dana 30 front. I cant remember if it was just the cost for him not going to hit. Either way, I am sure he will remember.

Don

Paul,
    You are close enough to me that I can show you all you need to know as well. Plus then the kids can get together for a play data. AHHH Did I just say that!! I mean so we can show them how to change fluids and swap gears too!

Don

Andrew, Thanks for the pics they look good. Its funny to see us from the spectators angle b/c its a completely different view. and of course the picture you post has me sitting down on the job! haha but that was only so I could study the guys before us. and to any one who has never attended a competition, I highly recommend going to the one in October. You wont believe what some of those Unlimited and even stock rigs can do!

PS Thanks to our Water/Pit Crew for helping out throughout the weekend. You dont understand how much stress that helps to relieve.

Don
    (Spotter Biatch for Team MallCrawler #609)

I was thinking of going up that friday afternoon so I could watch everyone go thru tech inspection and see if I could be picked up as a spotter for someone. If I get up early enough I hope to be a spotter for an unlimited rig instead of one of those wussy Stock Class rigs.. but I will probably be running late and get stuck in the stock class. Oh well, I am sure I can get my driver to flip.. hehe the last guy I spotted rolled it on its side in his last 2 competitions!!

Don
    (Spotter Biatch for #609 Team MallCrawler)

Andrew,
    I'm not sure if you need locking hubs to get the Warn High Alloy outers or not, but that was what Aaron was running with his old 30 and had good results. yes you can buy them seperately, I would call Aaron and see where he got his. And you do not need a press to put the CTM's in. Aaron and I have done them with a bench vise and even just a hammer.. harder sure, but still doable.

Don

Here is a link to one of our Competitors (Candi) rolling her rig for on her first obstacle of the weekend. If you look up behind the banner, Aaron and I were standing there watching it from the other angle. (Candi if you read this, I hope you dont mind I posted it here.)

http://www.rockdawgs.com/modul…ex&include=view_album.php

Right click on "Neuroc Rollover", Save Target As, and then play it locally. It is 1.84Meg. If you try to play it remotely you will either experience a timeout or the vid will play horribly.

Don

Chris the shock mounts are welded on.. just at an angle. The housing and knuckles take up so much room he didnt have many places he could mount them.

Ummm, Chris why does that pic make it look like the tie rod end isnt conencted to the knuckle. Either way I am getting excited for this weekend.

Hardcore Trail Report

Well Aaron, Andrew, Brian and myself met up at Wawa for the drive up to Paragon. Drive up when fairly uneventful, except for taking a minute to pick up Sean (BMJA member) and Brian hitting some venison with his trailer jack. Deer Jerky, yummm.
    Well we unload from the trailers and quick check in, b/c as we were sitting there roughly 30 stock Hummer H2’s show up for a day of ‘wheeling’. We quick pack up and head down to the lower staging area to finish airing down and discuss the trails for the day. While airing down we noticed a puff of smoke from under Aarons hood. It turns out the wiring for his electric radiator fan had jiggled loose and the motor was overheating. After a couple of tense minutes it was determined everything was fine! While there we met up with Candy and her brother Randy who Aaron and I will be competing against next weekend. They decided to join us on our Adventures of M trail. Aaron let us there with the windshields down since the weather was so nice. Aaron heads up the first 400 yards of M before realizing he wasn’t even locked in the front. I drove my flattie for 100 yards and let Sean drive the rest so that I could practice spotting for Aaron. Andrew, Brian and Candy followed up the rear making it all look easy. Then Sean took off in my jeep and after 50 yards ripped off the drivers mirror. Oops, oh well, that’s a cheap fix.
    Then Brian found out that those nice stout axles hang down low and got hung up for minute, but I give him credit he was able to drive out of his tough spot. By the time we got to the top of M trail the H2’s had taken the access road and watched us all traverse a rock hole and climb the slab. I believe they were impressed, but none wanted to attempt the same in there Hummers. Heading down we convince Aaron to take the hard line and was able to walk thru it without much of a scare. But Candy’s brother spotted her right into a horrible spot. She refused to go further until he grabbed the safety rope. Good thing she did. She moved 2 inches and she started to roll to the passenger side. Luckily 2 atv guys were standing near buy and helped pull her down before rolling. I then watched Brian and Andrew, cruising thru the lower section without much trouble or damage.
    We stopped for lunch about 200 yards from the end of the trail.. Well about 100 yards from the end Sean got my flattie wedged in tight spot and proceeded to taco the draglink. Doh, all left no right turn.. not good. With some winching and strapping we got it off the trail. But we had to disconnect the draglink and let Brian steer my tires for me as I drove.. (a big Thank You). Well while we were extracting my rig I noticed to my left that Aaron had been playing on the rocks but then stopped after his right rear tire wasn’t pushing anymore.. Uhoh! Turns out the rear axle housing was an inch longer then it should be and roughly only a ¼ inch of splines were engaged which finally let go. At that point Aaron and my day were over so the rest took off to keep playing while we loaded on the trailer to head home and lick our wounds! I believe Brian’s wife may have some nice photos and video from the day, and hopefully everyone else will chime in with their recounts of what I missed.

Don